Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Replacing the antenna on an board integrated SPI receiver

rtkDarling

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask for advice on this topic, and Albert Kim just made a video about it. Problem is, I don't really get it. He talks about the antenna having a signal and a ground component, is that correct? If I just cut the UFL connector off of an antenna and solder the signal wire to the pad, it wont work? I'd love to improve the range on my Larva

Reactions: HighTechPauper
It is absolutely correct, a proper antenna has the active element at the end (the silver part) and a portion that is kept from being active by the ground sheath. If the ground sheath isn't grounded, then it does not do a good job of shielding the rest of the center conductor from signal, and that changes the 31mm length that is the "tuned" part of the antenna that picks up our radio signal. I think Albert is wrong in saying it wasn't much better, I think it was much better than the original for a number of reasons. The only change I would recommend is to use a glob of Welder or E6000 or Shoe Goo to insulate at the board where the ground comes off, wouldn't want it to short to anything and cause problems. If you still have any questions on antenna theory, let me know and I will do my best to explain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz