Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

R9MM receiver

RPR

Reaction score
Website
www.rprsolution.com
Hello gang,

I’m a bit stumped. I’m planning of switching out the XM+ to an R9MM receiver, but I’m having a hard time understanding the layout of the Magnum F4 schematics, specially where the R9MM wires are to be soldered to the board.

Any help would be great. (Thank you in advance)

(I was also thinking of doing a redundancy connection between the XM+ and R9MM and has found the wiring schematics, which is helpful, but the Buzz frame has no room to place another board [emoji22])

The R9MM and the XM+ should be a direct swap, 5v/G/SBus. I did not know the R9MM had an SBUS In and an SBUS Out for redundancy

Reactions: RPR
Yup, according to the manual, the R9MM must not support redundancy because it has no SBus In pin, check the R-XSR and you will se that it does support redundancy since it has both and SBus In and Out. And as I said, it is a direct swap for the XM+ except since the R9MM supports Smart Port you may be able to hook that up too.

R9MM
1569967172427.png

@HighTechPauper everything went together smoothly per your advice, I stumbled on a minor hiccup in binding due to a firmware conflict, but aside from that, it went well. When you said smart port. Do, I connect the S Port/F.Port UART? and I'm guessing in the TX in the UART tab?
F4.jpg

That wire out looks correct, then turn on Smart Port for that port in the Telemetry column.

That wire out looks correct, then turn on Smart Port for that port in the Telemetry column.

There’s actually and easier way, after reading Oscar Liang’s blog and also Joshua Bardwell’s explanation.

I can eliminate extra wires (SBUS) via connecting the S.PORT/F.PORT to the F4 PPM/Sbus (I just have to flash the correct firmware to the FC)

I can now confirm that it works [emoji1687] and it’s a much easier method. I flew the Buzz earlier today and WOW!!!!! I’m loving the R9M + R9MM setup. Not that I’m going for longer range, but I’m able to fly in a busy location and behind behind structures (with a bit of confidence) where it limits the XM+ performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Yeah, FPort is relatively new in the last year or so, and it didn't work for a lot of people in the beginning, and it certainly wasn't around when I got started so I tend to forget about it. Glad it is all working well for you.

IT'S KILLING ME SMALLLLLLLLSSSSSS!!!!!! The F.Port was great, flew again and on the 2nd battery, my telemetry warnings started acting up and my RSSI signal was good and the flight was awesome. lol ARRRGGHH! So, I did a field surgery and went back to the initial configuration as you (again) advised me to do... And I'm okay now. (BTW I just got the TS80 soldering iron, such a lifesaver this one, bro.)

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Interesting, since for most people, once they get it working, have had good luck with F.Port. I am assuming you flashed the latest F.port firmware onto the RX? Perhaps try 1 rev down from that? The standard config may take an additional UART and an extra wire, but it has been rock solid for years so it may just pay to stay with it that way. Yeah, a TS80/100 is a great thing to have around, I think there is a firmware update for them that allows higher temps and maybe an auto off feature or some other things, so I would look into it if your iron doesn't already have it installed.

Interesting, since for most people, once they get it working, have had good luck with F.Port. I am assuming you flashed the latest F.port firmware onto the RX? Perhaps try 1 rev down from that? The standard config may take an additional UART and an extra wire, but it has been rock solid for years so it may just pay to stay with it that way. Yeah, a TS80/100 is a great thing to have around, I think there is a firmware update for them that allows higher temps and maybe an auto off feature or some other things, so I would look into it if your iron doesn't already have it installed.

Replying to the TS80. Installed the new firmware. The firmware that caked shipped gave a “low vot” with the new firmware took care of it.

And yes, from the photo that I shared, was the key. I changed and added a wire to UART 1 TX, so far everything is working. I’ll report more, once my batteries are charged.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas