Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Questions about integrated Voltage/Current regulators on FCs

CC268

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hoping you can help me out here as I try to learn some of this stuff. Joshua Bardwell's series on how to wire a board has been incredibly helpful and I feel like I got a pretty good handle on flight controllers now.

So my Flycolor Raptor-S flight controller appears to have a 5V/1A regulator and a 12V/500mA regulator (see bullet point #6 in link: ttps://www.foxtechfpv.com/product/ESC%20and%20FC/S-TowerBLHeli-Smanual.pdf).

Am I correct that there is actually 2 regulators - one for the 5V ports and one for the 12V ports?

So I have the following components hooked up:

TS5823S video transmitter: TS5823S 40 Channel 200mW FPV Video Transmitter
- 190 mA power draw based on the spec sheet. It is hooked up to the 12V port and would be using 190mA of the 500mA regulator, correct?

Runcam Swift 2 camera: RunCam Swift 2
- 70 mA power draw based on spec sheet. It is hooked up to another 12V port and would be using 70mA of the 500mA regulator, correct?

So between the Swift and TS5823S I would be using up 260mA of the alotted 500mA regulator?

Then there is a 5V regulator for the 5V ports (receiver port and the buzzer). I don't think I would be anywhere near the 1A regulator max.

I am doing this as sort of an exercise to learn this stuff and help me pick the correct board and components for future builds.

Thanks!

That all looks correct to me

Woo hoo! My guess is the board itself pulls a little bit and changes those numbers as well?

That is really bizarre that I was having those issues with my receiver shutting off when I would plug the camera and video transmitter in. The receiver is using the 5V regulator and the camera and VTX would be using the 12V regulator...so not sure what was going on. As soon as I wired the VTX and camera power to Vbat everything worked. J Bardwell seems to recommend doing this anyways.

One possibility is that the Spektrum 4649T requires a "minimum" of 4.8V. Maybe the voltage was dropping below that a bit with everything plugged in and not supplying the receiver enough voltage.

If you have enough for the vtx and camera, you shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff. Nothing else pulls very much current. Well, a bunch of LEDs could add up eventually if you are doing a flying Christmas tree. Or a flying Santa sled? That sounds like a good idea.

If you have enough for the vtx and camera, you shouldn't have to worry about the other stuff. Nothing else pulls very much current. Well, a bunch of LEDs could add up eventually if you are doing a flying Christmas tree. Or a flying Santa sled? That sounds like a good idea.

Yea I mean like I said I solved the issue of the receiver shutting off when the camera and VTX were plugged in by plugging the camera and VTX directly to VBAT. I guess I just still want to know why it was doing that when the camera and VTX were plugged into the board directly. It is a mystery ha

Sounds like the voltage regulator is not working up to spec. Either that or a wiring issue is all I can think of.

I agree. Definitely not a wiring issue on my end as I verified that. When I get my X9D Plus SE and the XR4-SB receiver I am going to plug it in and see if it does the same thing when the camera and VTX are hooked directly to the board.

One thing I will say...looking back I wish I had built my own and chosen my own components (at least at the price point I paid here). I think if I bought something RTF again it would be the TBS Vendetta or one of the Vortex RTD fpv racers - much more expensive, but much better boards.

I have learned a lot though, JBs video playlist for wiring made all this relatively simple now.

Overall this Arris is pretty decent, I just think the All In One (ESC, PDB, FC) is not the best.

If your goggle video is breaking up/fuzzy, you may need to try putting your camera feed back on the bec output for filtering

Yea I was real worried about that, but I am hoping this VTX has good internal filtering. If not that is what I will do. I might not have any of these issues when I switch over to the XR4-SB receiver.

Reactions: VirtueViolater
One thing I will say...looking back I wish I had built my own
Do it, you will not be sorry. Its actually more expensive to build your own but twice as fun to fly knowing you chose the components and assembled it. Building it yourself makes repairs super easy also, basically no downside other than a little more cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax