Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Pushing too hard?

Just got back from arvo session and all went really well. I have 1 issue though, 1 of my 4s packs which I balance charged before I left is playing up. It charged fine and when I got to park, plugged it in and set off. My bird started beeping straight away as if low battery. I landed and put checker on it and it read 17.1v? Never had that before. Anyway I flew two other packs no problems then tried it again. It beeped as if it were pretty well dead. Checked it again and it reads 16.8v which is fully charged. Any ideas? Is it dead? It still flies just beeps a lot
Hey Wayne,
I notice that when I stick a battery on the checker, and the battery powers up and initialises the checkers circuitry, it can get wonky quite often. Just now I checked one and it showed 20.1 volts when it had 15.2 on it. Unplugged and plugged it back in and got 15.2. Not saying this is what's happening to you but thought I'd share what I am seeing.
Also imho, I would not discount what the bird is telling you about the battery, there must be something it sees different or all of your batteries would cause it to beep (pointing to something with the bird instead of the batteries). I am just assuming here that the balance lead is not plugged to anything in flight like a battery checker/beeper. I have one batt that the balance connector sockets are spreading a bit and becoming noticeably loose when I plug in a checker, often giving me wonky readings until I unplug and reseat it.

Reactions: Wayno52 and Jtrjr
I'm kind of wondering the same thing Futura, maybe it reads good at rest on the checker but dives hard when put under load.

Wayne, if you have a balance plug checker/beeper maybe you can plug it in so you can see it and hover in front of you to see if one of the cell voltages as it scrolls through the cells is dropping significantly.

Just a thought...

Reactions: Wayno52 and Jtrjr
What Jerry said,
I would like to add, the softer the ground, the less damage. Stay away from hard surfaces. Tall grass is awesome for crash cushioning but sux as far as finding your quad so try to find a happy medium and HAVE FUN!

Thanks Jerry, definitely felt more natural by the end of yesterday and hopefully today will be good too. Will stay in acro now. No going back but will definitely be steady going as don’t need any big expenses at this time of year. I will try that pack again this morning if no good I will look into some threads or YT on it. Thanks Jerry. Wayne

Virtue, definitely having fun now. Still quite scary at times but I feel slight improvement each day. I always fly on the softest ground I can find but it’s generally parks I fly which are well kept where I am and grass is usually cut low. I realise I will kill a bird or two as I progress but for now just getting up, work on muscle memory do some laps and land. If I can keep it up I’ll be happy

Well Virtue there’s a collective sh!t load of experience on here and all leading me in the same direction. So I will follow the leaders. All help is greatly appreciated thank you guys. In a week or so my video cam will be onboard and hopefully with video posts you will be able to pick some things I’m missing. Cheers all now off for first round of packs.

Thanks guys. Ok so just ventured to a new spot, boy I love google earth. You will see by pics that it is not a huge area but I think that worked in my favour as I kept fairly low and slow. This spot is awesome, trees grass a bit longer and softer as I found out a few times. Lol, I bounced and tumbled a couple of times but no damage and all packs worked fine and are now getting charged for round 2.

Attachments

• 3BEC1651-6B37-4040-B120-3FAE59F3D9FB.jpeg
    3BEC1651-6B37-4040-B120-3FAE59F3D9FB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 6879F59E-BD75-4164-9E5A-8D888ABC3D23.jpeg
    6879F59E-BD75-4164-9E5A-8D888ABC3D23.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • D86A3538-1D3E-4082-9111-19716DDC3B90.jpeg
    D86A3538-1D3E-4082-9111-19716DDC3B90.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 6B490DDB-2683-46DA-AAB6-B58C44C7A634.jpeg
    6B490DDB-2683-46DA-AAB6-B58C44C7A634.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Thanks guys. Ok so just ventured to a new spot, boy I love google earth. You will see by pics that it is not a huge area but I think that worked in my favour as I kept fairly low and slow. This spot is awesome, trees grass a bit longer and softer as I found out a few times. Lol, I bounced and tumbled a couple of times but no damage and all packs worked fine and are now getting charged for round 2.
Looks like an awesome little spot to practice Wayne! Good on ya buddy!!!
I burned another 12 packs today, 6 in the light and 6 after dark. I'm really beginning to love night flying...
Randy

Reactions: Jtrjr and Wayno52
Great spot Randy I love it. Glad to see you’ve fully got the bug mate. I’m interested in hearing more about this night flying . Tell me more, are you under lights fpv or what? I’m also up for 12 packs today just got back from second session and really enjoyed it. 4 on charge now.

Yup, under around and over lights fpv. A few times cars came through the parking lot so I high tailed it up and out of the way into what I know to be clear airspace (even if I can't see it), and simply turned and found known lighting patterns (and some altitude) to keep my orientation as I went, and headed back to the parking lot once they had gone. The more I do it, the easier it is getting!
And it sure beats bringing any charged batteries back home... :)

Reactions: Jtrjr and Wayno52
It's still uploading to yt, so give it a bit, and the camera angle isn't great cause goin slow, but this will give you an idea...
I will try to get a better "Outa the light and into the dark-outa the dark and into the light" vid and post it in a day or 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax