Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Prop Explosions?

rtkDarling

Reaction score
I just had a prop explode in mid air, and it's the second time this prop has let me down. It's the HQ 6x4x3RV1S

Both times they exploded leaving nothing, not even the hub. Just gone. And both times they were brand new, uncrashed.
I guess the good luck is that I was just burning packs that I need to discharge, so I was in my practice field. Still hit hard and cracked my frame though, and this is my last working 6inch. I will NEVER trust these props again I fear.

That's got to be a PITA for sure. I will make a note not to ever buy that brand of props for sure.

That's got to be a PITA for sure. I will make a note not to ever buy that brand of props for sure.

That's why I started this discussion, because I really REALLY like HQ props, I'm running them on most of my rigs. It's funny how you can fly a thousand flights, and two failures is enough to scare me away. The scientist in me thinks it's a batch issue, and I bet it's something that ALL prop companies deal with

Since I got started in FPV and have real quads in my possession, I have wondered about the construction of these things as well as how they are mounted without any kind of "cushioning" between the motor bell and the prop nut. On my planes, I use a "prop guard" mount that holds the prop with a rubber O ring that will "give" a bit to keep from breaking a prop and I have wondered why the quads don't have a similar mounting system for the times that a quad might hit a small tree branch or other obstacle. I think that folding props are good for that as well.

But to have a prop explode at the hub like that is a new one on me and I guess it could happen with any brand out there.

Reactions: rtkDarling
I am flying them too and this latest batch is prone to hubs shattering. I have been checking often since they seem to over-tighten with flight, and if they are just tight enough they seem to be holding up better for me and haven't shattered one since... knock wood.

Reactions: rtkDarling
If Nylock prop nuts are used, can over-tightening still be a problem? Just curious.

If Nylock prop nuts are used, can over-tightening still be a problem? Just curious.
NyLocks help keep the nuts from coming off, but they don't stop you from over tightening, you can over tighten any nut, and it can break a shaft or crack a hub.

OK, I get that. Now tell me a good way to hold a motor on my Wizard while I tighten the prop nut. That is considering that the motors have the OEM guards on them. I bought one of the universal ones on Amazon that used the rubber strips but that didn't work and trying to hold the bell with needle nose pliers does not seem to be a good idea.

OK, I get that. Now tell me a good way to hold a motor on my Wizard while I tighten the prop nut. That is considering that the motors have the OEM guards on them. I bought one of the universal ones on Amazon that used the rubber strips but that didn't work and trying to hold the bell with needle nose pliers does not seem to be a good idea.
That is a tough one, the best I can tell you is that when the NyLocks are new they are very hard to cut the first time, once broken in a bit they will tighten easier. When I do mine I remove one of each direction of the motors screws and let the 2 motors loose so I can grab the whole bell and break in the nuts, after that I just reach around from the outside with one finger and hold it in place until the nut starts to bite down, then I also use the blades near the hubs to finish holding it to get them tight. After a few times on and off it will get easier to do. I will post a pic

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax