Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Problem: Mobula7 not binding to radio, Taranis QX7

Kugelblitz

Reaction score
I recently bought a Happymodel Mobula7 from banggood. It's "bind and fly" however, out of the box It struggled with the whole binding part. I have a taranis QX7 for a radio. I'm fairly new to the hobby so I was wondering if anyone here had some advice.

Everything else seems to work fine I'm even able to power up the motors in betaflight. When you plug in the drone LEDs (2 red and 2 white) start flashing. When I push the bind button they start flashing faster. I've tried every combination of putting the drone and my radio in binding mode, even using the binding code in betaflight "bind_rx_spi" to which betaflight responds "binding..." and the LEDs start flashing again. The radio keeps beeping and the drone keeps flashing until I get fed up and no combination of turning them off and then back on again seems to work.

The instructions say to set the receiver binding mode to AFHDS-2A or AFHDS to correspond with the setting on the radio.
I found that setting in betaflight for the drone (even experimenting with other modes) but I can't find any setting like this on my taranis QX7. It only shows D16, D8, LR12. (I think those go together but I don't understand that much about TX protocols.)

I downloaded betaflight 10.4.0 because that's the version the instructions say to use. It also seams like my modula7 is slightly different from some of the ones in YouTube binding tutorials. There's starts out with solid LEDs that start flashing after holding the bind button for 2 seconds. Mine starts out with flashing LEDs that start flashing faster instantly after pressing the bind button. That jives with my instructions but I'm still not getting it to bind.

Is there a setting on the radio model set up that I could be missing or could it be something else?

There's another problem that's taken the back seat to the first one, the FPV display looks something like if a video camera experimented with LSD. Through my goggles (eachine goggles twos) the image is so flickery and in black and white. You can kind of see basic shapes through the mess of the image but its otherwise unusable. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.
For all I know this could be a problem with the camera, VTX, antenna connection or goggles. The last time I used my goggles they worked fine but that was a while ago and on my 5" racing quad. The goggles have true antenna diversity and I'm using the stock patch antenna and circular polarized antenna. I kind of suspect that I'm goofing big time expecting a circular polarized to pick up the signal from a whip antenna but I haven't verified that.

I appreciate any comments or advice people have to offer.
Thanks!

Welcome @Kugelblitz!
Let's see if we can't get you working correctly. First. ignore anything talking about "AFHDS-2A or AFHDS ", that is for Spektrum protocol and that is NOT what you have or should have. You have Frsky, and Frsky and Spektrum are different radios and protocols.

The QX7 should have the "Internal RF" set to D8 since the Mob7 (and all the others with SPI receivers) have failsafe issues in D16). Once in D8 mode simply move to bind and press enter, the radio should chirp every few seconds to say it is in bind mode.

On the quad in Betaflight, make sure that nothing in Ports tab is set to "Serial RX", all of the ports should have that slider turned off. In the Config tab it should be set to Frsky_D and not Frsky_X.

You will not need a battery to bind or test your stick inputs, it will do everything but run the motors with just the USB to the PC.
With the USB plugged in, press the bind button or use the bind_rx_spi command while the radio is chirping and it should bind. Once it is bound, take the radio out of bind mode. If you are bound, and you unplug the USB, your radio may say "Receiver disconnected" if you have sounds working.

I think your issue with the goggles and vTX is that you are not on the right channel, it may be close, but not the correct one, so it is seeing a bit of signal but not enough to be clear. This is a normal problem people see when the "scan" fpr a channel instead of setting it manually.

If you don't have any luck send me a PM and we can try to use Facebook Messenger and Teamviewer to let me see what is going on and help.

Reactions: Jtrjr
So I've set my radio internal RF to D8.
my ports are all off except for the USB VCP
and my reciver is set to FRSKY_D

Both drone and radio are in bind mode and no luck.
Also when I try to use the CLI to set the drone to bind it responds "Not supported." this only happened since I set the receiver to FRSKY_D.
ZIpper ports.PNG
Zipper reciever.PNGZIpper ports.PNGZipper reciever.PNGZIpper ports.PNGZipper reciever.PNG

The bind_rx_spi should have nothing to do with D or X mode, are you sure you didn't flash a different version of Betaflight to it? The only other thing that comes to mind is you may have an LBT and FCC incompatibility issue. Is your radio an FCC or LBT version? And what version is your Mob7? It could be either FCC or LBT also.

Reactions: Jtrjr
I haven't flashed another version of bataflight on it. It's been like this out of the box and I try to stay away from that sort of stuff.

On my taranis I can select D8, D16, and LR12 so that tells me it's on FCC which makes sense because I bought it in 2017. As for the drone, I'm not 100% sure but I ordered it last month if that tells you anything.

Ok, that all sounds correct. Maybe we should try to have a remote session to see if we can get you going. Send me a PM and we can make arrangements to get together and have a look together.

Reactions: Jtrjr and tevek
When I ordered it from Banggood I selected the "Compatible Frsky Non-EU Receiver".
I’ve just checked my mobula 7 HD and your settings are identical to mine. Apart from confusing the bind and boot button on the mobula I do recall having to power up the quad with a battery during the bind process (thanks wife). I see that Randy is throwing out a life line, take it as the man is a legend.

Just to close the loop with all you guys on what we found... after going through everything soup to nuts on this Mob7, we finally figured out that Banggood website must have screwed up and sent him a Flysky model instead of a Frsky model... DOH!!! :mad:
Kugelblitz definitely knows what he is doing, this isn't his first quad as he has a 5 inch also, so after looking at it with him I think Banggood screwed up!!! That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!!! ?✌

Reactions: tevek
Just to close the loop with all you guys on what we found... after going through everything soup to nuts on this Mob7, we finally figured out that Banggood website must have screwed up and sent him a Flysky model instead of a Frsky model... DOH!!! :mad:
Kugelblitz definitely knows what he is doing, this isn't his first quad as he has a 5 inch also, so after looking at it with him I think Banggood screwed up!!! That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!!! ?✌
Well I guess in my own interpretation of what’s going on, that would make sense. God only knows the struggles I’ve had with crazybee boards, you’ve sussed it again. Hope it all works out with Banggbad.....

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Hope it all works out with Banggbad.....
Me too Tevek, poor Kugelblitz gets to wrangle the Chinglish monster for some satisfaction, we will see what he can get out of them. Wishing him luck as I'm sure we all are.

Reactions: tevek
Me too Tevek, poor Kugelblitz gets to wrangle the Chinglish monster for some satisfaction, we will see what he can get out of them. Wishing him luck as I'm sure we all are.
Yeah I hope they come to the party without the videos and emails requested of me when I had issues with one of my HappyModel quads. Being under warranty in this case, I left it with the local shop to bang heads with them and despite having a win, never again. Cheers for helping out the quad world again, it’s a better place thanks to your support.

Hello,

I am soo new to fpv. I also have mobula 7 xm+ standard and taranis q x7. Since I've bought them, I could not bind them together. I have tried everyhing on YouTube, forums etc. There is no bind button on my drone. I've tried every "bind" command on Betaflight with different versions. But no success. Keep saying "not supported".
Could you pease help me out.
Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax