Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Problem binding Tinyhawk with QX7...need help please

Eazy123

Reaction score
So I got the Tinyhawk RTF bundle, but eventually wanted a controller that I could also use to fly simulations, which that controller won't work for. So I got a QX7.

I followed the instructions online for binding, but there is no green light whatsoever. In fact, when I press the bind button, the red light blinks and the blue light stays solid.

At this point, if I hit "bind" on the QX7, BOTH lights will blink, and the QX7 vibrates a little, as if it paired. If I try to turn off the QX7 at that point it warns me that the model is still on, and if I hook the Tinyhawk up to Betaflight and go to the transmitter tab, it knows when I'm moving the sticks and the bars move. So it has to be bound to some extent, no?

Regardless, the QX7 won't turn on the Tinyhawk or anything. It won't even work with the old controller now. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

In your description above I think you miss a step. The quad needs to be unplugged for the bind process to finish.

On your radio, Make sure you're in D8 mode, not D16
I turn the controller to bind mode first
Hold down the bind button on the quad and plug it in to a battery
Confirm bind on the controller
unplug the quad

To check bind, plug the quad in, observe the red light, turn on your controller and the lights should change. If they don't change you're not bound. If they DO change but you're not getting stick inputs, then it's a software setup issue or the SBUS wire

[Edit] Welcome to the forum. If this is your first bind then let me assure you, it's not you. It is a touchy process, and even though I know the steps and have done it dozens of times, it's not odd for me to have to try three or four times to get a quad bound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayno52
Check the modes tab are your aux setup correct?

I went in to check and all modes were grayed out. To make matters worse, the whole binding thing I had talked about earlier isn't working anymore and my controller isn't showing up in Betaflight now. This is so aggravating.

Now the red and blue lights both blink but when I press the bind button (while it's on) the lights alternate. Also, if I hold the bind button and plug it in, both red and blue lights blink as if nothing was done.

In your description above I think you miss a step. The quad needs to be unplugged for the bind process to finish.

I turn the controller to bind mode first
Hold down the bind button on the quad and plug it in to a battery
Confirm bind on the controller
unplug the quad

To check bind, plug the quad in, observe the red light, turn on your controller and the lights should change. If they don't change you're not bound. If they DO change but you're not getting stick inputs, then it's a software setup issue or the SBUS wire

I didn't mention that part but I did unplug for the bind process to finish. I did everything exactly like the steps you mentioned and it doesn't work.

What's an SBUS wire?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions so far. I hope I can get to the bottom of this.

Is there a chance that since I'm using the RTF version that it won't bind with anything else? Dumb question I'm sure but I'm racking my brain here.

Last edited:
What's an SBUS wire?
That's the input wire for your radio receiver. If your Tinyhawk works with your other controller then we can rule this out.

I added in the edit you need the Model setup n the Qx7 to be in D8 mode and I think it defaults to D16.
NriLFv4bZ_4l-GdNibdBtIca27A3YYIg3A.png

That's the input wire for your radio receiver. If your Tinyhawk works with your other controller then we can rule this out.

I added in the edit you need the Model setup n the Qx7 to be in D8 mode and I think it defaults to D16.
NriLFv4bZ_4l-GdNibdBtIca27A3YYIg3A.png

Thanks, but for some reason the Tinyhawk doesn't even work with the other controller anymore either.

It's on D8 - I did update the QX7 using OpenTX Companion and it reads "XJT D8" though, not sure if I botched something up...

If you are able to connect in Betaflight, go to the config tab and make sure you have Frsky D selected (your binding in D8 and not D16) and not Frsky X. Then try and bind again, I think the bind button is underneath near one of the motors. The other button on the top is the boot button.
I’ve has the grayed out modes tab before and updating the FW fixed it, but first thing first.
You’ve set up your new model in the Taranis with switches assigned for arm, modes etc?

If you are able to connect in Betaflight, go to the config tab and make sure you have Frsky D selected (your binding in D8 and not D16) and not Frsky X. Then try and bind again, I think the bind button is underneath near one of the motors. The other button on the top is the boot button.
I’ve has the grayed out modes tab before and updating the FW fixed it, but first thing first.
You’ve set up your new model in the Taranis with switches assigned for arm, modes etc?

I do have to thank you, as changing to Frsky D allowed me to do the binding thing I mentioned in my first post again. Unfortunately, I still can't control the Tinyhawk.

Not sure how to set up the switches and stuff, all I saw were a couple of videos that showed the binding and made it look simple, they never got into switches and stuff.

But it even shows reception bars, which makes me think it IS binded, just not telling the motors to start, no?

Attachments

• IMG_20191201_180203.jpg
    IMG_20191201_180203.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I do have to thank you, as changing to Frsky D allowed me to do the binding thing I mentioned in my first post again. Unfortunately, I still can't control the Tinyhawk.

Not sure how to set up the switches and stuff, all I saw were a couple of videos that showed the binding and made it look simple, they never got into switches and stuff.

But it even shows reception bars, which makes me think it IS binded, just not telling the motors to start, no?
Ok , you have to set up/assign your switches to make it all happen. It looks like you have bound the transmitter according to the reception bars on your Tx screen. Follow the instructions in the video, it’s really simple and when you’re finished, go back into betaflight and assign those switches in the modes tab.

So I did the steps in the video, and the Tinyhawk still won't arm. Any time I flip a switch I've programmed it will blink, so the two are definitely talking. But the motors just won't start.

Sometimes a message is displayed in the goggles when there's an arm issue, that message can be used to troubleshoot. Here's a good resource to read through too

Sometimes a message is displayed in the goggles when there's an arm issue, that message can be used to troubleshoot. Here's a good resource to read through too

Thank you. I'll have to set up the goggles, haven't done that yet.

Reactions: rtkDarling
You might have to set up the warnings in betaflight as well. In the OSD tab make sure you have "Warnings" turned on, and the "arming disabled" tab turned on too.
betaflight-configurator-osd-warnings-arming-disabled-1024x470.jpg

This is from that link I shared before. Oscar Liang is the best

You might have to set up the warnings in betaflight as well. In the OSD tab make sure you have "Warnings" turned on, and the "arming disabled" tab turned on too.
betaflight-configurator-osd-warnings-arming-disabled-1024x470.jpg

This is from that link I shared before. Oscar Liang is the best
It doesn't give me the switches on the left hand side, but there are 3 checkboxes for Warnings that are checked. I also get the same arming disable flags when I type status.
Untitled-2.jpg

Actually, when I have my radio on it gives me this under status:

Arming disable flags: THROTTLE ANGLE CLI CMS MSP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax