Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

PPM to IBUS switch, now transmitter not showing in BetaFlight

Reaction score
Good afternoon.. I am a regular in the Phnatom, Mavic, and Inspire forums here for several years. I just found the racing forums and just at the right time. First, let me say that I am the idiot who buys a new drone and controller for $300 because I cant figure out how to flash firmware or anything technical. Here is my problem (or should I say idiot move):

Purchased Wizard X220 bundle along with transmitter from Grayson Hobby. It comes with all 3 modes set and arming switch ready to fly out of the box. I have switched PPM to IBUS on my last 3 Wizard X220's with no issues. I hooked everything up to BetaFlight and everything was perfect. Went out and flew several batteries.. I even switched the stock camera for the Rotor Riot RunCam and all was GREAT!! (should have let a sleeping dog lay).. YouTube has multiple "Wizard X220 switching from PPM to IBUS videos" and they are self explanatory.. Last night, this is what I did:

1. Opened the Wizard
  2. moved the PPM cable to IBUS port on the flight controller
  3. Move the other end of the cable from PPM side of receiver to the IBUS side of receiver
  4. Hooked up to BetaFlight and went and changed PPM to Serial Based Receiver and then picked IBUS and clicked reboot

This is all I did in the past and everything was perfect.. But when I turned on the Wizard, the controller did not arm or operate the Wizard. I checked it in BetaFlight and the controller was not recognized. The difference color bars did not show up and switches did nothing in MODES tab. I checked and the transmitter shows battery signal for the transmitter AND receiver!! So, it appears to be making a connection.

So, I returned everything back to PPM.. The flight controller cable, receiver cable, and PPM in BetaFlight.. SAME THING.. Now, the remote does not show up in BetaFlight.. I even went as far as to pull receiver out and re-bind the controller and transmitter.. When I turn on controller, it again shows battery for transmitter AND receiver.. I dont get it.. Its all returned to the way it was.. If I move the Wizard around, it shows on the scale model, everything is set but no colored bars on the screen in controller section..

I used to go to the HobbyTown down the street and a guy in the back would hook your racer up to BetaFlight and correct anything wrong and get me flying. The tech has now since moved on and I have no one local to help me.

Pleas be gentle, as I am probably missing something obvious. Yes, I had a battery connected to the wizard when viewing in BetaFlight. I checked everything I know. UART-1 is checked, receiver is on PPM, Wizard is back in PPM Mode... Everything is perfect except the receiver is not visible in BetaFlight not will it arm or operate the Wizard..

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I PROMISE I WILL NOT SWITCH ANYTHING AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE if someone can help me with this!!!

Thanks in advance: Be Safe...

Probably a dumb question, but do you have ppm output turned on on your Tx? Assuming you have a Flysky FS-i6 controller. I’ve done something similar in the past and forgot to turn it back on and save it using the cancel button and thrashed around for hours before I realised what I had done.

Happened to me in the past when I did something similar. I reflashed the firmware and was able to recover the receiver functions and showing in Betaflight. If you haven't flashed firmware ever, it's not that hard. Just remember to backup your FC settings before you do so you can restore them after flashing.

Thanks so much!! That is exactly what it was!!! Now I can even get another Wizard X220 that I have up and running!!! Again, thanks so much for all who replied.. Helped me so much, and probably helped others who might have had the same issue>>>

Be Safe everyone!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion