Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!

Power Supply For Charger - Ferrite Core?

the.ronin

Reaction score
I'm about to hack away at a 90W laptop power supply to connect it to an XT60 for a lipo charger - I don't need to keep the ferrite core do I? I know it's meant to reduce noise just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks.

Reactions: Wayno52

the.ronin

Reaction score
Gah too late lol. I whacked it so there wouldn't be much cable between the PSU and my ISDT Q6. Of course I kept effing up my soldering and neede to keep going back on the cable so now its even shorter LOL.

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
LOL, been there, done that :)

It probably wont matter, that power supply will likely fail long before the charger, any power supply or charger used at over 75-80 percent of its capability will fail early, so you should do the calculation (P = I x E) to figure out how much current you can safely push out of that thing so it doesn't blow or catch fire.

the.ronin

Reaction score
No thats really good ... whenever someone asks me about getting into drones, I tell them to go youtube "lipo house fire" first then get back to me if they're still down lol.

So this PSU is rated at 90W outputting 20V at 4.5A. I figure I'll be stockpiling 850mah 4s's mostly so paralleling 4 x 850 = 3.5A so i think I should be good. I'm too paranoid to charge at higher than 1c anyway. Am I looking at this right?

I'm rockin one of those iSDT Q6 Lites which are so friggin awesome. And while I know I'll never to get to its power potential unless I series up 12V sources (lol no thanks) its still amazing compared to the Hitec X1 crapper I had before.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
househead