Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!
Sign up

Possible Motor Burnout

tj272004

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Age
15
I'm a little new to this field, and I was attempting to test the motor (1120 KV) by using the battery, and connected two of the three bullet connectors to a 3S battery (which I now realize was definitely not a smart idea), and then the motor started smoking and got extremely hot. After it had cooled down, I checked to see if there was any visible damage to the motor, I checked the coils and the magnets and did not see any burn marks or missing parts. And the battery seems fine as well. However, the appearance of smoke lead me to think their must have been some effect after plugging the motor into the battery. I was wondering if what i did damaged the battery in any way?
 

rtkDarling

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2018
Messages
519
Reaction score
658
Age
37
So, motors don't work like that (as you found out) they work in phases, so power is switched on and off across the magnets in specific order to spin the bell. If the battery isn't swollen you probably didn't kill it. Most chargers have a test you can run to make sure you didn't collapse a cell.

What are you making BTW? 1120kv sounds low for 3s
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wayno52

tj272004

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Age
15
So, motors don't work like that (as you found out) they work in phases, so power is switched on and off across the magnets in specific order to spin the bell. If the battery isn't swollen you probably didn't kill it. Most chargers have a test you can run to make sure you didn't collapse a cell.

What are you making BTW? 1120kv sounds low for 3s
So I am using 1120 kv motors which will eventually be on a 40 amp esc connected to a 4s and a APM and I’m just trying to make a drone with flight planning capabilities . So if something were to be damaged, it would be the battery and not the motor?

Thanks in advance.
 

rtkDarling

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2018
Messages
519
Reaction score
658
Age
37
So if something were to be damaged, it would be the battery and not the motor?
I think either one could be damaged that way, but I honestly don't know. Truth is it's anyone's guess until you hook the motor up correctly and test it. My guess is, if you didn't leave it hooked up very long, everything is probably okay. Motors and batteries can take a little heat and abuse, the electronics are not so forgiving.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wayno52

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
2,826
Messages
24,731
Members
2,384
Latest member
ZeroPoint