Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Poor video reception.

Speeder

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my new Armattan chameleon custom build.
I flew t once at a big field (3 packs) and everything seemed fine.
Yesterday I flew the bird and the video had acquired tiny horizontal lines in the video. This visual made it almost impossible to fly comfortably. I have a (everything new) foxeer arrow V3 CAMERA a TBS UNIFY PRO VTX.
I tryed to recalibrate the camera, tryed changing lenses adjusting focus...no improvement. I also have dominator V3s and Laforge dual receivers. I am using
Tbs antennas on bird and goggles and a high gain antenna as well.
Any ideas for solution or experiance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Kindly
Keith

Keith,

Those are all good components. I'm not sure about the high gain antenna, I have heard that you can go too high. I wouldn't think it's a camera issue, more likely the VTX or FC. Is it possible that the power setting got kicked down on the VTX? Check all of your antenna connections. I'm not sure how that VTX/antenna is attached to the carbon fiber frame, do the continuity test you did (I think?) on your other bird. If the antenna is grounded to the carbon fiber frame anything else you do will be in vain.

Jerry

Reactions: Speeder
Looking at your pics, I'd definately do a continuity test on that antenna setup. Take your DMM, put it on the ohm symbol, you should see O.L. on the screen when the probes are not touching anything. Put the negative probe on the negative post in the XT60 connector and take the positive probe and touch all over around where the antenna and that antenna mount connect to the carbon fiber on the bird. If you get anything on your meter other than O.L. You've got a grounding issue.

Jerry

Here is a picture of the antennas...
I don't know if the VTX antenna is grounded or not.
I don't know how to do a continuity test either....how embarrassing...

Keith

Attachments

• IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
This is what my volt meter looks like....

Attachments

• IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I put the volt meter knob to 200 on the right side and put the negative probe in the negative xt60 slot...no response on the carbon att all but a strong reaction on the antenna base and the brass washer that attaches to the aluminum bulk head.

?????

Hey guys ,
Do you think the battery leads could interfere with the video transmission because they are so close together?

Keith

Keith,

When you check the carbon fiber you almost have to scratch it. Most of these frames have a coating on the surface. The best place to do it on the frame is the sides where the carbon wafers are pressed together. Are you getting the reaction on the aluminum bulk head? The antenna itself will cause a reaction. That's what you're trying to check, you want to make sure that the antenna is isolated from all parts of the frame.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
whatever measurement i am using ...when the probes are not touching anything it reads (1)
when i put the negative probe in the negative side of the xt60 i got a reading of above 65.

keith

i touched the edge of the carbon frame this time not the top

keith

So , in laymens terms ...how do i go about finding the bad ground... that's what i am looking for correct? Where is a good place to start?

Thanks
Keith

Keith,

Take a look at this video and see if it helps. I don't really know how your meter works so I don't think you should move forward looking for something if you're not sure of the test results. You might have to look up the manual for your meter to make sure you're doing the correct test.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
I am going to have to send the bird back to OHIO.

No flying for me...
Keith

Keith,

I guess that's why you have someone else build a custom bird, part of the price is insuring that it works properly. I'm a little confused, don't you still have two GT2's? Sorry about your bird.

Jerry

Ok, I want and bought the proper multimeter and put it to ohms and the meter displayed O.L. As you said..i followed your directions and touched the edge of the carbon and it showed 65 ish. Definitely a grounding issue.....i lost that same bird again on my property somewhere....it can stay there... the other gt200 has a smoked motor and I am still waiting for them. (No gopro attached.

Keith

Keith,

Make sure that your motor screws are not touching the windings in the motors. Pull the motors and lay them off to the side of the frame arms. With the motors off of the frame repeat the continuity test.

Jerry

Last edited:
Armattan is already packed. This video issue started after i had already flown the bird...the first time i flew the bird...video was good. Never touched motors....these guys know their stuff....NOTE.GT200 wouldn't know where to start... don't want to arm my neighbors

Thanks ALOT Jerry!!!!!!!!!

Keith

Reactions: Jtrjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas