Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Parts On The Way !!!

PhoenixFord

Reaction score
Well Guys, I took the plunge. I ordered the Catalyst "Speed Addict 210-R frame along with various electronics. I think that the build will probably be a little unorthodox. I like the looks of the full blown racer. But I plan on using it as more of a freestyle flyer. The T-Motor F60's are probably going to be a little bit overkill. But they are what "CM" suggested.

Still haven't landed on PDB and FC as of yet. I'm probably going to get this PDB because I seem to like the OSD.
RROSD Pro V2 *PRE-ORDER ONLY

And I'm currently leaning towards this FC
Spektrum F400 Raceflight Flight Controller (SPMFCF400): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

I don't know why I continue to favor Spektrum. But they do seem to have good support. And I'm looking to upgrade my Dx6i to a Dx8 in the near future anyway. I do have one concern though. And I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me out. Or maybe even cause me to second guess my plans?

I've started researching the "RaceFlight One" software. They mention something about the possibility of bricking ESC's when using pass-through programming. Or even when testing motor rotation through the wizard. W-T-??? Does anybody here have any experience with this software?

Thanks Guys for reading
Randy

Reactions: Jtrjr
Randy,

Looks like you're going to have a cool bird! I can't help much because I'm fairly new to this stuff. I have 3 race quads now, the latest is a Diatone Crusader GT2. I haven't flown it, other than hovering due to the extreme weather lately but I've gone through the setup pretty thoroughly now and I'm really liking the FC/VTX setup. Nice, clean, small and setup was quick with BetaFlight 3.0.1, BLHeli and MWOSD on the VTX. Just thought I'd pass it on to you in case you haven't come across it yet. Here's a random link, I'm sure you can find more info on it by doing a search. Good luck on your build and let us know how it goes!

Jerry

Diatone SP3 Stackable VTX with OSD MWOSD and 600mw, 200mw, 25mw Power Output

Edit: Oops, I didn't read the title! You've already got parts on the way!

Do yourself a favor and get a flight controller that supports betaflight. It is the industry standard and there are endless articles to help if you have any trouble. I would suggest a KISS or SP Racing Acro (6d0f). Any betaflight FC will support spektrum.

That PDB looks OK but the page is full of weird warnings. I like the Matek HUBOSD.

Everything else seems good. You may be right on the motors being overkill. 2207 is pretty big, most people fly 2205 or 2206. But I don't see a problem there. They should be very powerful.

Jerry - Thank you Sir for your reply. I've taken on a big challenge with this frame. Only enough room for an FC and PDB in the stack. And even that set-up is going to be cramped. I'm going to attempt to solder most connections to save space.

the Green Orange - Ya my gut tells me to go with either betaflight or cleanflight. But I may have already bitten-the-bullet on the FC / RaceFlight package. I've already purchased one of these \/ \/ \/ And it was quite expensive for a Rx.
Spektrum Quad Race Serial Receiver w/telemetry (SPM4649T): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

I'm trying to think ahead a little (sometimes I think too much). I plan on upgrading my current Dx6i Tx to the newer Dx8 Gen 2 Tx with full telemetry support (hopefully very soon). All this in preparation for upgrading my 300 clas heli for a 550 class heli eventually. But I hate to fly-by-timer (like I'm doing now with the 300x). Since I'm planning on staying with Spektrum Tx/Rx anyway, I thought I might be able to start getting acquainted with their telem software. I know that, once again, telem and osd both is going to be overkill. And I'll be mainly concentrating on OSD for the quad. Anyway - Don't give up on me just yet. You have been a big help. And I value your in-put.

Thanks
Randy

That PDB looks OK but the page is full of weird warnings. I like the Matek HUBOSD.

Well I'm kinda screwed on that one too. The PDB bay on the 210R only accepts 36X36. :(

You can use that receiver with either of those FC's I mentioned. While wearing goggles, telemetry on your radio screen won't be much use. If that "raceflight one" is the same as regular raceflight that would be fine, raceflight is based on cleanflight/betaflight as I understand it. The Matek HUBOSD provides battery voltage, current draw, flight time, etc in the goggles OSD.

Choose what makes you happy, these are only suggestions.

Reactions: PhoenixFord
That is standard, pretty much all PDBs are 36x36 with 30x30 mounting holes, including the Matek.

Ya I'm more concerned about the "Bay" itself. It's slung underneath the craft with an enclosure around it. Just by looking at Pic's, it looks very tight just for the standard board. I really don't think that the boards with extra extensions beyond 36X36 will fit without modifications of the CF enclosure. I should be receiving the frame in just a few days. And my plan is to start dry-fitting the electronics that I already have. Plus I plan on sanding frame edges and through holes. I'll probably even do a little custom painting.

PS: The MATEK board say's it's 36X42 ? I think.

Could you explain what you seen? Guess I was so focused on finding something that I didn't notice.

Ya I'm more concerned about the "Bay" itself. It's slung underneath the craft with an enclosure around it. Just by looking at Pic's, it looks very tight just for the standard board. I really don't think that the boards with extra extensions beyond 36X36 will fit without modifications of the CF enclosure. I should be receiving the frame in just a few days. And my plan is to start dry-fitting the electronics that I already have. Plus I plan on sanding frame edges and through holes. I'll probably even do a little custom painting.

PS: The MATEK board say's it's 36X42 ? I think.

They have an X type and an H type, but unfortunately the X type although most of it is 36x36 has that protrusion for the XT60 connector which extends to 42mm, and the H type is full on 36x46.

They have an X type and an H type, but unfortunately the X type although most of it is 36x36 has that protrusion for the XT60 connector which extends to 42mm, and the H type is full on 36x46.

Ooohhh. I did not see that. I'll go back and check it out.

It just has a couple warnings about doing an alligator clip test before soldering, and not letting it overheat on the bench which seems weird because with no current flowing on the bench it shouldn't heat up much at all. I'm sure they are just being cautious. Also noticed the BEC's are sort of low current and one is 10V which is a little weird, usually they are 12V. But none of this seems like a deal breaker. Especially if your VTX uses main battery voltage. Check out the Tramp HV if you don't have a VTX yet, it is awesome and uses full battery voltage.

It just has a couple warnings about doing an alligator clip test before soldering, and not letting it overheat on the bench which seems weird because with no current flowing on the bench it shouldn't heat up much at all. I'm sure they are just being cautious. Also noticed the BEC's are sort of low current and one is 10V which is a little weird, usually they are 12V. But none of this seems like a deal breaker. Especially if your VTX uses main battery voltage. Check out the Tramp HV if you don't have a VTX yet, it is awesome and uses full battery voltage.

Ya tell me to stop overthinking this please. thought that the ideal of supplying the Vtx and Cam with 10V was rather novel. I have several 3S pack for my 300x. And I thought I would start out using these to keep my motor speed down while getting familiar with this style of flying. It was suggested that using a 10V reg might smooth out any inconsistency's in Bat V when operating on 3S.

Ya tell me to stop overthinking this please. thought that the ideal of supplying the Vtx and Cam with 10V was rather novel. I have several 3S pack for my 300x. And I thought I would start out using these to keep my motor speed down while getting familiar with this style of flying. It was suggested that using a 10V reg might smooth out any inconsistency's in Bat V when operating on 3S.

Ah, if you are using 3S, even the Matek 12V BEC will supply 10V. So that is a non issue.

Any way you slice it, that is going to be a really nice bird.

About the FC's, I am partial to the SP Racing because it uses mosly plugs instead of solder joints, which makes it easy to remove to get to the PDB if you need to do any work on it. Some guys like the Kiss because it is all soldered, but I have never had a connector pop out of the SP Racing FC, and you can hot glue them if needed.

Ah, if you are using 3S, even the Matek 12V BEC will supply 10V. So that is a non issue.

Done a quick search. Looks good but - none seem to have OSD (too). Have you got a link?

What do you know about EzOSD. Should I be thinking of something "Stand-Alone". I'm trying to keep the parts count down on such a tight build.

"Any way you slice it, that is going to be a really nice bird.

About the FC's, I am partial to the SP Racing because it uses mosly plugs instead of solder joints, which makes it easy to remove to get to the PDB if you need to do any work on it. Some guys like the Kiss because it is all soldered, but I have never had a connector pop out of the SP Racing FC, and you can hot glue them if needed"

Ya I may be overthinking the space availability thingy again. I'm going to try to use the plug on the Tx just because I hate to cut the wiring on that thing. I've read that the socket will need to be soldered on the underside of the board because of not enough space on top. Looks like I'll have a challenge on my hands for this build.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax