Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

No fpv in Miami?

Roland C.

Reaction score
Hi there everyone I just joined
I recently in the last 2 months I have been interested in drones
I was board due to pandemic and I got online and ordered a hubsan h107c I fell in love with the sport I.
I have tried to do as much research as I could but only online u have tried going to every place in Miami to find more about quads and every single place was a dgi dealer and was only interested in selling you one and not giving any info
Also I can't find any place or anybody that has any knowledge of racing/freestyle drones and I'm really wanting to learn and possibly racing in the future is there anyone in Miami?

Hi @Roland C., welcome to the forum!
There are groups that fly in that area, but I can't think of anyone here that is from that area, on Facebook there is the "Miami FPV Racers" group.
We will do what we can to help you along if you have some questions, but you may want to look up that group on FB and join so you can go see for yourself in person where they fly and meet some of the people there, they have over 1000 members.

Reactions: rtkDarling
Most of us get all of our gear online. Traditional brick and mortar has a hard time keeping up with the FPV market Hypetrain. I have a short list of great vendors in the states, most offer free shipping over $50, and some other online resources to help you get started.

Short version is that I personally recommend starting small because it gives you more "playground" options. Once you get above a 3 inch toothpick, it gets hard to find a space free of people to fly in, even more so in Miami (I lived in Coconut Grove) The cheapest Goggle / controller / drone set I like right now is about $250

Some resources:

Good Vendors (USA)

FPV Freestyle and Drone Racing Shop - Rotor Riot Store (These guys charge a little extra for their builds and branded stuff, but besides that they're okay)

I'm up in West Palm. I was supposed to be in Miami today for a shoot but we canceled for weather

I live in Miami and am starting out too, not yet at the stage where I can race (can barely get off the ground) but would actually love to find a park or open area not far from the Brickell area. All Miami Dade parks are no drone zones, however police here is mostly not interested ..... well until the pandemic that is, now they are in a mode that they don't let you do anything. I have access to a large lot belonging to my workplace, but the pavement is not very forgiving. All other places around me are padlocked or will not allow flying. There is a place up in Broward I believe that's an FAA R/C approve flying area, the only one in the south florida area, that we'll have to look into, surely there are fpvers there that will be happy to help.

@Noobnoobnoob You flying a Mob7? Shoot cuz, you can fly that baby anywhere. I try to hit small playgrounds when nobody's there (and there's rarely anyone there) if if someone is around I give them a wide area, just to be polite. If I excitedly ask people if I can fly my little toothpick, I've never once had someone say no or complain. Not once. I think it's because I'm genuinely observant of the sound and peoples space, and I'm so excited to fly that it's easy to be kind to people. I've even had a security guard tell me to leave an office park, but show me a spot I could fly right next door, and watch me fly the whole time.

Those "No drone" signs are for DJIs and other BIG self flying numbers. They're so easy to fly that people do dumb things with them, and end up hurting people or property. Pretty sure the only way you can hurt someone with your Mob7 is if you get it tangled in their hair. :)

Get out there and fly it!!
Here's my last rip through the park in case you missed it

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Those "No drone" signs are for DJIs and other BIG self flying numbers. They're so easy to fly that people do dumb things with them, and end up hurting people or property. Pretty sure the only way you can hurt someone with your Mob7 is if you get it tangled in their hair. :)

Well, lets be real, any quad can be considered a drone, even though fpv quads are really NOT drones, a drone is a autonomus vehicle or thing LOL doesn't have to be a vehicle can be some sort of robot but for those who make the laws they are covering any kind of remotely controlled flying machines, and if the cop that happens to be in the vicinity happens to be versed in the "drone" laws, he/she will stop you all the same. After covid the Miami cops have become very annoying. Now if they don't know the 'drone" laws they are likely to just hang out and watch. I am an automotive photographer and have always been able to work at a spot in particular, where now they have a patrol car sitting there not letting anyone do anything specially photograph even if its a tourist taking one photo, They have come up to me requesting city permit to photograph in city property.

The Mobula has maybe succumbed to Covid as it's sick and my efforts to revive it are falling flat, but I do have a US 65 on it''s way,

Guess you are in Soflo, where abouts?

if the cop that happens to be in the vicinity happens to be versed in the "drone" laws, he/she will stop you all the same.

Oh, I know you're right, but there are some loops in the verbiage as you pointed out (not a drone without autonomy). Again, I've never had a cop that bothered me about it, but since I fly office parks on the weekends I do run into ground security. If I ever do get stopped you can believe I'll be polite as pie. If you're in a low traffic area, you really have to give cops a good reason to get out of their car in my experience. What's he gonna write you a ticket?

Again, I hope I don't sound like I'm all about flouting the law, but they're behind the market on everything from social media to RC. Maybe a cop tells you to move along, but I'm not sure what you could do to get in trouble with a mob7.

West Palm.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Oh, I know you're right, but there are some loops in the verbiage as you pointed out (not a drone without autonomy). Again, I've never had a cop that bothered me about it, but since I fly office parks on the weekends I do run into ground security. If I ever do get stopped you can believe I'll be polite as pie. If you're in a low traffic area, you really have to give cops a good reason to get out of their car in my experience. What's he gonna write you a ticket?

Again, I hope I don't sound like I'm all about flouting the law, but they're behind the market on everything from social media to RC. Maybe a cop tells you to move along, but I'm not sure what you could do to get in trouble with a mob7.

West Palm.
Cool, howdy neighbor, good to meet a real pilot, you got a few years on me hehehe

Reactions: rtkDarling
Well, lets be real, any quad can be considered a drone, even though fpv quads are really NOT drones, a drone is a autonomus vehicle or thing LOL doesn't have to be a vehicle can be some sort of robot but for those who make the laws they are covering any kind of remotely controlled flying machines, and if the cop that happens to be in the vicinity happens to be versed in the "drone" laws, he/she will stop you all the same. After covid the Miami cops have become very annoying. Now if they don't know the 'drone" laws they are likely to just hang out and watch. I am an automotive photographer and have always been able to work at a spot in particular, where now they have a patrol car sitting there not letting anyone do anything specially photograph even if its a tourist taking one photo, They have come up to me requesting city permit to photograph in city property.

The Mobula has maybe succumbed to Covid as it's sick and my efforts to revive it are falling flat, but I do have a US 65 on it''s way,

Miami,I understand that cops here are giving a hard time añd maybe that's why there is nobody racing
Also someone mentioned that Miami has a group but if you look up any info it's two years old.
And no hobby shops here sell nothing for fpv flying I have gone to 6 hobby shops all the way to broward and I can't find a dam battery pretty sad.
Every hobby shop here only want to sell dji mavic that's all you find

Yes and Rotor Riot is also in Orlando, pretty far from Miami to walk in. It is too bad because if we buy anything we HAVE TO PAY TAXXXXX LOL. I've actually ordered some stuff from RDQ and Roto Riot. Rather pay a little more and get the stuff within a week than have to wait a month and save a couple of bucks from Banggood. Trust me I've looked for places in the Miami area also.

Down here in the Redlands there is a race meet-up every other Saturday at Schneblys winery.

I know there are a few DJI stores in Wynwood and Aventura but there is also ScorpionDrones in Sweetwater/Doral

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax