Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newbie in UK needing advice!!!

mackerel

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm keen to get into FPV, having done a few years of RC cars. I have got a LIPO charger from those days, but apart from that, I need everything else! I have done some googling and know that in the UK I would need a license if I go over 250g, so I am looking for up to 250g - which I think means 3" blades - also I think 5GHz video link is the way to go to minimize lag.

I am not after racing (not yet anyway) but am after fun, speed and exhilaration, zipping round outdoors. I have seen great looking video of the Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV Racing Quadcopter, so am considering that. I think PAL/NTSC resolution is good/affordable at the moment, with HD video being more 'pro'?

What else do I need!? LIPO, TX, screen/goggles - I am trying to keep an eye on budget, so if I could use my smartphone as a screen that would be good with a view to getting some goggles as an upgrade in the future.

Any answers gratefully received!

Thanks
Jon

There's some pretty good -$100 box goggles out there that will def get you started and turn into passenger goggles if you upgrade

battery for Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV? tattu 450mah 4s 75C good for it. And you can try Radios: Taranis QX7, Taranis QX7S or FlySky FS-i6X with FS-A8S receiver, Receivers: FrSky R-XSR receiver, FrSky XM and FrSky XM+ receiver and FlySky FS-A8S receiver. and you need to have one goggle, maybe Fatshark goggle that's great.
Great tips, thanks!

eachine EV800D are a great goggle, i brought them to start with the intention of upgrading but really like them so have stuck with them.

Reactions: VirtueViolater
eachine EV800D are a great goggle, i brought them to start with the intention of upgrading but really like them so have stuck with them.
Thanks!! I will check them out. Are they OK with eye glasses?

you may need to modify them for glasses, i were glasses but a short sighted and dont need glasses to see the screen.

Reactions: mackerel
Looking at your original post about needing a license for above 250g this hasn't actually come into force yet and inst due to November 2019.

Reactions: mackerel
Thanks for all the advice - I am getting well set up. Any pros/cons of a 3S vs 4S LIPO? Over-heating issues? How much flight time might I expect? Thanks!!!

I have a eachine Wizard x220s i fly 4s 1550mah tattu batteries and depending on how hard I fly i get around 5min

Same here, still using them, love them, never had a problem and can wear my glasses
Use to fly 3s lipo's when i was learning to fly but haven't flown them in ages

Last edited:
Reactions: Sambo1988
Same here, still using them, love them, never had a problem and can wear my glasses
Use to fly 3s lipo's when i was learning to fly but haven't flown them in ages

I have tried fat sharks and the only ones I like are the HD3 but still I can’t justify the money when the ev800d is so good

So I've got everything on order! But the GT M3 'normal' was out of stock so I had to go for the stretch and I am concerned that the props are going to be more prominent in the camera view and spoil the immersion effect - has anyone got a view on this?! Thanks

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Being able to see the props won’t affect anything. The props are slightly in view on mine and I find it help abit when your flying low

So I've got everything on order! But the GT M3 'normal' was out of stock so I had to go for the stretch and I am concerned that the props are going to be more prominent in the camera view and spoil the immersion effect - has anyone got a view on this?! Thanks
To me, it actually improves the immersion effect, feels like I'm in it....lol
I also love the way a stretch turns etc, I own 6-7 stretch frames

Hi all - I'm keen to get into FPV, having done a few years of RC cars. I have got a LIPO charger from those days, but apart from that, I need everything else! I have done some googling and know that in the UK I would need a license if I go over 250g, so I am looking for up to 250g - which I think means 3" blades - also I think 5GHz video link is the way to go to minimize lag.

I am not after racing (not yet anyway) but am after fun, speed and exhilaration, zipping round outdoors. I have seen great looking video of the Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV Racing Quadcopter, so am considering that. I think PAL/NTSC resolution is good/affordable at the moment, with HD video being more 'pro'?

What else do I need!? LIPO, TX, screen/goggles - I am trying to keep an eye on budget, so if I could use my smartphone as a screen that would be good with a view to getting some goggles as an upgrade in the future.

Any answers gratefully received!

Thanks
Jon
You don't need a license, get a 5"

Very excited - everything has arrived. The GT-M3 comes with some instructions that say "for each machine screw please use a torque screwdriver calibrated M3=0.65-0.67Nm, M2=0.3Nm" - can anyone suggest a screwdriver on amazon that I can set up the torque in this way?

You will probably be the first to actually do it lol. Use some blue (not red) loctite instead and dont over tighten
Oh, welcome to the addiction

Thanks! I shall do that! Also, next stupid question, I have an RX and a battery - does the battery hang below and RX sit on top of the main cage? Is there a right way to do this? Kind-of doubles the height of the drone when I do this - have I got the right battery!!? I have a TATTU 450mAh 14.8V 75C 4S1P LiPo Battery Pack

Battery will mount under the frame and the receiver should go inside somewhere, you have the right battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax