Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!

Newbie in UK needing advice!!!

Hi all - I'm keen to get into FPV, having done a few years of RC cars. I have got a LIPO charger from those days, but apart from that, I need everything else! I have done some googling and know that in the UK I would need a license if I go over 250g, so I am looking for up to 250g - which I think means 3" blades - also I think 5GHz video link is the way to go to minimize lag.

I am not after racing (not yet anyway) but am after fun, speed and exhilaration, zipping round outdoors. I have seen great looking video of the Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV Racing Quadcopter, so am considering that. I think PAL/NTSC resolution is good/affordable at the moment, with HD video being more 'pro'?

What else do I need!? LIPO, TX, screen/goggles - I am trying to keep an eye on budget, so if I could use my smartphone as a screen that would be good with a view to getting some goggles as an upgrade in the future.

Any answers gratefully received!

Thanks
Jon

battery for Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV? tattu 450mah 4s 75C good for it. And you can try Radios: Taranis QX7, Taranis QX7S or FlySky FS-i6X with FS-A8S receiver, Receivers: FrSky R-XSR receiver, FrSky XM and FrSky XM+ receiver and FlySky FS-A8S receiver. and you need to have one goggle, maybe Fatshark goggle that's great.

Last edited:
battery for Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV? tattu 450mah 4s 75C good for it. And you can try Radios: Taranis QX7, Taranis QX7S or FlySky FS-i6X with FS-A8S receiver, Receivers: FrSky R-XSR receiver, FrSky XM and FrSky XM+ receiver and FlySky FS-A8S receiver. and you need to have one goggle, maybe Fatshark goggle that's great.
Great tips, thanks!

Sambo1988

Looking at your original post about needing a license for above 250g this hasn't actually come into force yet and inst due to November 2019.

Thanks for all the advice - I am getting well set up. Any pros/cons of a 3S vs 4S LIPO? Over-heating issues? How much flight time might I expect? Thanks!!!

VirtueViolater

eachine EV800D are a great goggle, i brought them to start with the intention of upgrading but really like them so have stuck with them.
Same here, still using them, love them, never had a problem and can wear my glasses
Use to fly 3s lipo's when i was learning to fly but haven't flown them in ages

Last edited:

Sambo1988

Same here, still using them, love them, never had a problem and can wear my glasses
Use to fly 3s lipo's when i was learning to fly but haven't flown them in ages
I have tried fat sharks and the only ones I like are the HD3 but still I can’t justify the money when the ev800d is so good

So I've got everything on order! But the GT M3 'normal' was out of stock so I had to go for the stretch and I am concerned that the props are going to be more prominent in the camera view and spoil the immersion effect - has anyone got a view on this?! Thanks

Sambo1988

Being able to see the props won’t affect anything. The props are slightly in view on mine and I find it help abit when your flying low

VirtueViolater

So I've got everything on order! But the GT M3 'normal' was out of stock so I had to go for the stretch and I am concerned that the props are going to be more prominent in the camera view and spoil the immersion effect - has anyone got a view on this?! Thanks
To me, it actually improves the immersion effect, feels like I'm in it....lol
I also love the way a stretch turns etc, I own 6-7 stretch frames

JohnnyNotech

Hi all - I'm keen to get into FPV, having done a few years of RC cars. I have got a LIPO charger from those days, but apart from that, I need everything else! I have done some googling and know that in the UK I would need a license if I go over 250g, so I am looking for up to 250g - which I think means 3" blades - also I think 5GHz video link is the way to go to minimize lag.

I am not after racing (not yet anyway) but am after fun, speed and exhilaration, zipping round outdoors. I have seen great looking video of the Diatone 2018 GT-M3 FPV Racing Quadcopter, so am considering that. I think PAL/NTSC resolution is good/affordable at the moment, with HD video being more 'pro'?

What else do I need!? LIPO, TX, screen/goggles - I am trying to keep an eye on budget, so if I could use my smartphone as a screen that would be good with a view to getting some goggles as an upgrade in the future.

Any answers gratefully received!

Thanks
Jon
You don't need a license, get a 5"

Very excited - everything has arrived. The GT-M3 comes with some instructions that say "for each machine screw please use a torque screwdriver calibrated M3=0.65-0.67Nm, M2=0.3Nm" - can anyone suggest a screwdriver on amazon that I can set up the torque in this way?

Thanks! I shall do that! Also, next stupid question, I have an RX and a battery - does the battery hang below and RX sit on top of the main cage? Is there a right way to do this? Kind-of doubles the height of the drone when I do this - have I got the right battery!!? I have a TATTU 450mAh 14.8V 75C 4S1P LiPo Battery Pack

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilseth0014