Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newbie: got the Hawk Pro and need some assistance

daldevs

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just purchased my first drone. I got the EMAX Hawk Pro (4S), Taranis QX7 Access radio, and EMAX Transporter FPV goggles. I'm having issues getting the goggles to display a picture. The goggles definitely recognize the drone as the view screen in the goggles say "hawk pro" at the top of the screen with additional info at the bottom. Only thing is the screen is black otherwise (the cover is off the camera lense).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Hi @daldevs, welcome to the forum!
If you have OSD information (from the FC) but a black screen (vTX is obviously working or you would see nothing but snow) it points to either the camera (no power, broken video out wire, or just bad since you DID say you removed lens cap) or it is the FC and the input side of the video in circuit (where it starts its journey through the FC to pick up the OSD) is bad. Best way to tell which is to FIRST check voltage and ground on the camera connector, and if all is good then (temporarily) connect the vTX Video In wire directly to the camera Video Out wire (usually the yellow ones), If you get picture it is the FC, if you get just a black screen then it is the camera. If it works, always re-solder the wires back and retest, it wouldn't be the first issue resolved by re-soldering. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: daldevs
Hey thanks for the reply and the welcome. I’ve been incredibly busy at work, and we had a birthday party for my son yesterday, so I had not been able to look at the drone since Monday.

I def didn’t want to try out any soldering in the event that I was dealing with a bad camera and would end up returning the drone for a new one. So I went to a local hobby shop today and they confirmed that the camera is bad. sad face

Thank you! And it was a great party. The best idea we could think of while observing social distancing was to get a Kona ice truck, which was a big hit.

Update: got the replacement hawk pro today and it definitely was a bad camera. Connected the li-po to the drone, turned on the goggles and got a picture right away once on the right channel. Now to figure out how to bind the drone to the radio. Lol

Good, I'm glad that part is out of the way. Chances are you are looking to bind using ACCST D16 mode, not sure what RX is in the quad, but that is likely what you want to try.

Reactions: daldevs
Ok. So, I’ve come across another roadblock. I got the newer version of the Taranis QX7, the Access version. I found out today that version of the QX7 won’t bind to the Hawk Pro. ?

I heard there’s a moduleI can add to the radio to make it compatible?

I ordered the radio thru Race Day Quads and I have a feeling they won’t accept a return since I opened the box. (All I’ve done is put batteries in and turn it on like 5 times)

So what that means is that the Hawk Pro is a D8 RX, if it was a D16 there is a ACCST D16 mode in the new ACCESS radio. There is a very good chance if you contact RDQ they will let you return the radio even if you have opened it, Tyler and the group there are usually very good about that.

So I did contact them earlier today and was told to submit a ticket od sorts via their contact us page. I did that and explained the issue. This is what they said:

You can upgrade the RX in the hawk pro with FrSky XM+ SBUS 2.4GHz Mini Receiver for an easy fix to bind.

So I ordered that mini receiver. I made a contact here with the mgr at a local hobby store. They're going to help me get it working once I get the mini receiver. So fingers crossed!

They are correct, that is the best, easiest, and least expensive (by far) fix for the problem.

Got the new receiver in and the drone is up and running as of yesterday. Holy cow this thing is hard to control. Need to log some simulator hours.

I'm changing out receiver to tbs crossfire.
Since I can't get it working with radiomaster tx16

That statement provides no information.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax