Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newbie asking for help on choosing equipment

Definitely start on the sims it will save you a ton of money and time at the bench. Also be aware even though you can buy a RTF quad you are going to crash and break stuff so you are going to have to learn how to work on your rig. The new RTF builds available now are much better than even 12 months ago. We are here to help and if you can find people in your area I know you’ll be able to get help as that is what this community is all about!!!!

I watched the video that you mentioned and I personally would consider that long range. If that is the type of flying you want to do I would personally recommend going with an analog setup ( everyone has a different opinion on this ).

The RTF options you have been recommended in this thread should all be available in analog and digital options. I personally haven’t tried the DJI goggles but I know the picture is really amazing however I have heard other pilots have issues with the variable latency that is built into the system when going long range. I’m sure others will disagree and I’m not trying to start a digital vs analog debate, I’m just putting in my two cents.

I hope you enjoy whatever you end up purchasing and welcome to the hobby!!

Thanks so much for all your answers!!!

I just got a Taranis QX7 radio. Turns out it doesn't include a battery so I ordered one now :)
Still no charger though. Is there any charger that will work for both the drone batteries and the radio battery that you could recommend?

Thanks so much for all your answers!!!

I just got a Taranis QX7 radio. Turns out it doesn't include a battery so I ordered one now :)
Still no charger though. Is there any charger that will work for both the drone batteries and the radio battery that you could recommend?
I’ve got one of these that’ll do the job for you:
You will need the balancing charging board to go with it to be able to charge both Lipo and NiMh types. Not at the same time obviously.

You will need the balancing charging board to go with it to be able to charge both Lipo and NiMh types. Not at the same time obviously.

I don't think he will NEED a parallel charge board, unless he is planning to parallel charge 2 or more of the same type of batteries at once. Sooner or later though hey may certainly want one, though we need to exercise even more cautions when parallel charging. If I read this all correctly anyway.

I don't think he will NEED a parallel charge board, unless he is planning to parallel charge 2 or more of the same type of batteries at once. Sooner or later though hey may certainly want one, though we need to exercise even more cautions when parallel charging. If I read this all correctly anyway.
Yeah you’re right if only charging one type of battery at a time, I guess I was heading in the direction of going big! I’ve got a separate setup for both XT30 and XT60 (including the little jst fellas) so I can limit the number of mistakes I invariably make....

Thanks a million!

I found these on Amazon in Europe, where I am based:

Do these seem correct to you?

Also do the board and the charger come with all the required cables? I'm slowly starting to realize this is still DIY rather than out-of-the-box territory so I want to make sure I buy everything I need.

Oops, and I just realized the QX7 battery I had bought is also a LiPo, as in here:

Does it need to be NiMH specifically? Is this one not going to work?

Do these seem correct to you?
Also do the board and the charger come with all the required cables?
Does it need to be NiMH specifically?
That gear will work fine and should have all you need to charge XT60 out of the box, but you will need a banana plug to XT30 for the goggle battery.

That goggle battery will work fine, but I would suggest only charging it to 4.2 since charging an HV to 4.35 will likely reduce its lifespan, and keep in mind it is a LiPo so you may not want to leave it fully charged for long. If you charge it to 4.2 just before you go fly for the day and get it down to 4.0 or slightly less, it should work fine and last a long time.

That gear will work fine and should have all you need to charge XT60 out of the box, but you will need a banana plug to XT30 for the goggle battery.

That goggle battery will work fine, but I would suggest only charging it to 4.2 since charging an HV to 4.35 will likely reduce its lifespan, and keep in mind it is a LiPo so you may not want to leave it fully charged for long. If you charge it to 4.2 just before you go fly for the day and get it down to 4.0 or slightly less, it should work fine and last a long time.

Thanks so much!

By banana plug, do you mean this little fella?

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thanks so much!

By banana plug, do you mean this little fella?
Nah, one similar to this. One end plugs into your charger and the xt30 end into your goggle battery.

@bzmot, what I meant was you posted a link for XT30 connectors and asked me "By banana plug, do you mean this little fella?" and I was saying no those are not banana plugs and that they were XT30's. I then said you needed what Tevek had posted a link to, which is a Banana plug to XT30 adapter.

So you do not want these, they are bare XT30 connectors, and they are NOT banana plugs.

This is what you need and it is a banana plug to XT30 adapter cable. the banana plugs should fit in your B6 charger, and the other end goes on the battery.

DO NOT FORGET to attach both the main leads AND the balance lead, and only charge in Balance Charge mode.

Yep, the battery xt30 connector is male and the banana lead xt30 is female. As @HighTechPauper has pointed out, keep an eye on your charging voltage.

As I read through this post, it seemed we were starting to get confusing on what we were saying, hopefully my last post will make it clear to bzmot what he needs.

Reactions: Wayno52 and bzmot
As I read through this post, it seemed we were starting to get confusing on what we were saying, hopefully my last post will make it clear to bzmot what he needs.
Was thinking a little bit the same. Problem for me is that I’m just quickly reviewing the posts, typing and posting. Currently in lock down at work, wearing gloves etc, standing in strange queues for food and retreating to our rooms when we are either not at work or trying to cram food down our throats. Weird times indeed.

Currently in lock down at work, wearing gloves etc, standing in strange queues for food and retreating to our rooms when we are either not at work or trying to cram food down our throats. Weird times indeed.
Hang tight brother, weird times indeed!

• Sad
Reactions: Wayno52 and tevek
Hang tight brother, weird times indeed!
All good so far. Had to get a letter giving me authority to travel when I drive to and from the airport. Police have checkpoints preventing people from traveling through the various regions without due cause, fines of $1000 apply!
On a brighter note, just waiting for the mine managers approval to bring my drone to site and fly out the back of the accommodation complex. Word is that there are a few others who want to hook up if we get the ok, apparently they heard I was a weirdo with them....

Now is when I really wish you could set up a good old fashioned ground station with the DJI stuff, I was just thinking about how this hobby can get people a new and higher perspective of their local world, and get them virtually out of the limited box we are all in. SO let's all try to gather all the ride along's we can provide our poor earth bound brethren! Maybe this could justify an extra set of goggles LOL ;)

Reactions: Wayno52 and tevek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas