Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newb to fpv racing

Larry Tate

Reaction score
I just recently purchased my first FPV racer and was hoping some of you more experienced pilots could give me some tips on getting used to FPV flying. Until now, the majority of my flying has been LOS. Not goggles yet so for now I'm trying to fly on a 7 inch LCD.

The hardest thing for me to overcome so far is judging altitude. I get way too high too fast. Any suggestions would be great.

I've been flying quads for a little while now ranging from a hubsan x4 to a Phantom 3 but nothing with the kind of power and maneuverability this little racer has.

I bought a cheap RTF from eachine as a way to learn (crash) and gain experience (a lot of crashing) with flying FPV. I'm not sure I'll get into racing exactly, I just like the speed and power of these quads.

I'm looking for a pair of decent goggles and thought I'd get some opinions here. The racer I have came with a video monitor on the controller. The same company offers goggles ranging from $80 to $200. I see some of the goggles are pretty pricy. Are they really worth it or would the cheaper ones work out for now?

Reactions: clackey
Treat flying fpv like you learned los flying. GO SLOW! its atotal different experience, turning banking ect. As far as your altitude problem little upwards throttle at a time and try to use some land mark to judge your altitude, all this is not easy, trust me I learn something new every time I fly to sum it all up GO SLOW, so you learn!!!!

Reactions: Serius
I'm looking for a pair of decent goggles and thought I'd get some opinions here. The racer I have came with a video monitor on the controller. The same company offers goggles ranging from $80 to $200. I see some of the goggles are pretty pricy. Are they really worth it or would the cheaper ones work out for now?

Just my opinion, but I think you probably have two paths to go with the goggles...

If you're really sure you want to stick with FPV over the long haul, you might just want to invest in something good now. My thought is that the really good goggles will give you a better FPV experience, and help you get better faster (that's a broad statement, I know, but in general I'd say that). You'll also learn maybe a bit more and faster about the video components (like antenna selection, etc.). It will probably save you some money over the very long term not to upgrade one or two times.

I personally have the Fatshark Dominator HD2, which are probably the most popular top-end goggles, but they will set you back $450++ (the pluses being a charger of some sort, receiver modules, antennas, etc.). Something like these also supports more advanced usage, like diversity set-ups with multiple antenna types for different flying situations.

On the other hand, there are some pretty good less expensive goggles. The experience might not be as premium (less resolution, smaller screen, smaller field of view, less capable receiver and antenna, etc.), but will still get you into the true FPV experience (I would argue flying FPV through an external screen is not nearly the same thing, and I think harder to do than with goggles). Definitely a safer way to get into it (by safe I mean what the wife's reaction would be to the credit card bill), and perhaps best if you're not sure you're going to dive in all the way in the future.

Fatshark (not trying to promote them, but my experiences with them are good) has more entry-level goggles as well, so I'd look there first. Still not cheap, though at a couple of hundred dollars a pair. I'm not sure which Eachine goggles you were looking at (VR-007?), but it looks like you can go there for less than $100. I really can't speak to these from experience, but like I said you will sacrifice something in terms of video screen size or quality, fit and finish, or expandability and support for other antennas, etc. Speaking of antenna, I would really look for something where you can screw on another antenna, because I think you'll want to upgrade from the straight dipole antenna to some sort of circular polarized one the more flying you do (the video signal quality will be much better with less break-up).

I also don't know what video transmitter the Eachine quad has in it? I'm assuming it's relatively standard so you could use any standard receiver and goggles. If not, that might force you to get a certain type of goggle.

Something I did that I'd recommend is 1) just Google for "best fpv goggles 2016" and read a lot; and 2) go to a local racing club meet-up (if you have one?) and hang out with the folks--they will show you what they use and usually someone will let you take a look to try some out. Some of this is a personal choice, especially the fit of the goggle on your head and face, and how they work with your eyes (do you wear glasses? I'm nearsighted and the Fatsharks have good diopter inserts).

Happy flying!
-Paul

Reactions: dirkclod
Thank you for your input Paul. It sounds like you have a lot of experience in this area and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The Eachine goggles I was considering are the EV800's although after more research (lots of googling) I'm leaning towards these Fat Shark Teleporter V5 kit with Headset, Camera & Transmitter (FCC for USA) I don't wear glasses (yet but it does run in the family) so no issues there. Whats your opinion of these?

I'm still not sure how interested in racing I am, but I definitely foresee a long FPV road ahead. I want to be able to use them with my Phantom as well and you make an excellent point. I don't want to waste money upgrading multiple times. I also have a daughter who is becoming interested in the hobby and I think I'll end up passing the first set of goggles down to her in the near future, at which point I'll end up buying a better pair.

I hesitate on the $400++ goggles as thats more than I spent on the quad. I bought this one mainly for learning purposes and I'm already researching parts to begin building one myself. Another month or so of practice with this one and I'm sure I'll begin the process.

I'll have to check and see if there are any local flying clubs. I live in a pretty remote area north of Kansas City Mo. and I don't really get out much. Plenty of open areas that make for great flying right here at the homestead. My dad and a few of my friends are getting into the hobby as well and we plan to set up a track in the back yard and through the woods to play and learn on.

I think you'll want to upgrade from the straight dipole antenna to some sort of circular polarized one
The video monitor that came with the Eachine racer has a straight dipole that screws on the back but video transmitter on the quad has a circular polarized type. Am I able to simply screw on a polarized one to the back of the monitor to match the one on the quad? Would this help with clarity in the video?

Thank you again for your time.

-larry

I will put mine in lol. Do a flight check don't get lazy figure out what camera angle your comfy at. At least one you can land or get your sh t back together. Then I started flying through big holes trees swing sets stuff like that. Either you are used to hammering the throttle like I was or it's something else because I can fly my Gemini a foot off the ground in FFF but the new vengeance wants to climb like a rocket so maybe someone on here knows lol I know I just had to get that left stick as smooth as the right then it seemed to come together but I'm talking about a lot of searching for and fixing several previous builds when I started a tip from me have a beeper installed and a really good battery compartment. Once you get to FFF the worse the crashes are but when you go by yourself at 60 mph it seems worth it

Also get some goggles I only know of a few that can race on a monitor. The whole idea is emmersion. Like emmersionRC fpv equip now those guys know fpv. Fpv labs is awesome oh sorry your gonna need theses sites if you don't already. Great source of info and helipal get you a go to guy he can save you hours of frustration

Fats hark dominator. V3. I will give you a review. Wow like looking at a 50 inch tv one big screen. There is a reason you see all those guys in Miami and Dubai wearing the white goggles with the blue fan and headband because they work. You get a fan that's awesome. A dvr recorder. View on screen after flight. Now there are better ones out there but if your serious and cand spend a little more do it. Or you will end up with a set of predators and a giant 600 with all the bells and whistles that I can't get rid of.

Anyone have any experience with these? FatShark Fat Shark Teleporter V5 FPV Goggles 5.8G 7CH Video Glasses Headset

Will they work with the video transmitter that came with the eachine?

I've been able to fly ok with the monitor so far but I'm finally going to take the leap.

And much to my surprise, I have yet to break a single prop. I did break one of the front arms, but nothing else so far....... And believe me, its not from a lack of trying :) The 4s batteries I recently picked up gave me a lot more punch. Great fun.

I tried the fat shark Dom v3's and personally didn't not like the 2 little screens. I ended up returning them and getting the HD head plays and for me the one huge screen was much easier to fly with and see everything. But a bunch of racers use the fatsharks Dom v3 and the hd2 so they make a great product for sure. If you know some people they have some you can try out or definitely order them from some where that offers a 30 day return . Good luck and welcome to the club .

Im in the same boat. I hear the fatsharks are a good bit if kit. They have the hd3's out now so i need to figure out which ones are better.

Pixel,

Welcome to the forum! I've got the Dominator V3's. The reviews I've read on the HD's haven't swayed me. I think I'm going to stick with my V3's for now.

Jerry

I fly EV800 and love them. A friend has latest version fatshark attitude, and the FOV is too small for my liking. It is a matter of preference though. The fatsharks definitely have a better receiver.

Reactions: Mtjunky
For what its worth I bought the Marvel Vision FXT Goggles, just over $100 and I think they are great. Now, I am new and I have nothing to compare them to and probably when I move up to the Fat Sharks I will ask myself why I waited so long. A little more confused now?

I just recently purchased my first FPV racer and was hoping some of you more experienced pilots could give me some tips on getting used to FPV flying. Until now, the majority of my flying has been LOS. Not goggles yet so for now I'm trying to fly on a 7 inch LCD.

The hardest thing for me to overcome so far is judging altitude. I get way too high too fast. Any suggestions would be great.

I've been flying quads for a little while now ranging from a hubsan x4 to a Phantom 3 but nothing with the kind of power and maneuverability this little racer has.

I bought a cheap RTF from eachine as a way to learn (crash) and gain experience (a lot of crashing) with flying FPV. I'm not sure I'll get into racing exactly, I just like the speed and power of these quads.

Hey Larry. What FPV racer did you start with? I am a beginner too and doing my research. So many options and opinions. Wanted to get some one's opinion that is new as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax