Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newb from Cabot, AR.

PhoenixFord

Reaction score
Hey Guys
New to the forum and new to FPV. I've been in the RC Hobby for a couple of years now. Currently flying helli's. Well - A heli. Flying a Blade 300X (fully customized with LYNX aftermarket parts) with a Dx6i TX. I consider myself a novice pilot. Capable of sustained hovers in any orientation. But not quite 3D capable yet.
So - I've started watching DRL. And now I've got the Quad / FPV bug. I'm hoping to jump in with a moderate budget onto an intermediate platform. Looking for something to grow into and not out-of. So far this frame has got my attention - "Catalyst Speed Addict 210-R FPV Racing Frame (5 inch)".
Anyway, looking forward to asking lot's of "newb" questions. So I hope you guys can bare with me.

Thank You to everyone in advance.
Randy

Welcome to our forum Randy :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi, welcome to FPV! It's a bit spendy, but no doubt that is a bad *** frame. Some other ones to check out might be the impulseRC alien or the new helix, and the Luminier QAV-R (or their cheap but good clones). You are making a good choice to build rather than buy. Happy shopping...

Edit: actually not a bad price at $125 for the 4mm version, I thought it was over $150 at first...

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to FPV! It's a bit spendy, but no doubt that is a bad *** frame. Some other ones to check out might be the impulseRC alien or the new helix, and the Luminier QAV-R (or their cheap but good clones). You are making a good choice to build rather than buy. Happy shopping...

Edit: actually not a bad price at $125 for the 4mm version, I thought it was over $150 at first...

Thank You for the reply. Ya I have a bad habit of overspending my budget. I'm hoping that the frame will stay with me for a while. Thinking about trying to save a little on the electronics for now though. I'm sure my proficiency will come as slowly as did with the heli's.

I will be happy to look at the recommended frames. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank You for the reply. Ya I have a bad habit of overspending my budget. I'm hoping that the frame will stay with me for a while. Thinking about trying to save a little on the electronics for now though. I'm sure my proficiency will come as slowly as did with the heli's.

I will be happy to look at the recommended frames. Thanks for your suggestions.

I went with Chinese everything from Amazon, which is pretty cheap but still fast. You can search crazepony and readytosky there for a start. If you aren't in a rush, look at the Chinese sites like banggood and others. Super cheap for the same stuff, but takes almost a month.

Edit: some stuff to look for:
F3 processor based flight controller
30A ESCs (BLHeli_S is newest firmware)
2205 or 2206 motors with 2300kv or higher
CCD based camera
PDB with OSD like Matek HUBOSD
Aomway antennas

Last edited:
Edit: some stuff to look for:
F3 processor based flight controller
30A ESCs (BLHeli_S is newest firmware)
2205 or 2206 motors with 2300kv or higher
CCD based camera
PDB with OSD like Matek HUBOSD
Aomway antennas

Thanks again Sir GreenOrange. I appreciate the suggestions on the electronics package. I've been looking at frames for quite a while. But I'm still a little bit sketchy on the electronics. Especially the FC and the A/V EQ. I've kinda narrowed my choice of frames down to these two \/ \/ \/:
1) Speed Addict 210-R FPV Racing Frame (5 inch)
1) Moka Berserker | Mokaframe

My Goals Are:
*Build to educate myself in the hobby (little worried about soldering though)
*Quality frame that will support my learning curve. (and hopefully provide support for a few years)
*Electronics Pkg to support learning curve (3S - 4S compatible)

What I Want Is:
*Freestyle platform that is also capable of carrying an HD Camera.
*OSD with some TELEM feed back. IE: horizon. batt voltage, flight timer.
*Decent pair of FPV goggles for a beginner that will work for an "old farts" eyes.

Thanks again for your post. I'm off to research your suggestions.

Thanks again Sir GreenOrange. I appreciate the suggestions on the electronics package. I've been looking at frames for quite a while. But I'm still a little bit sketchy on the electronics. Especially the FC and the A/V EQ. I've kinda narrowed my choice of frames down to these two \/ \/ \/:
1) Speed Addict 210-R FPV Racing Frame (5 inch)
1) Moka Berserker | Mokaframe

My Goals Are:
*Build to educate myself in the hobby (little worried about soldering though)
*Quality frame that will support my learning curve. (and hopefully provide support for a few years)
*Electronics Pkg to support learning curve (3S - 4S compatible)

What I Want Is:
*Freestyle platform that is also capable of carrying an HD Camera.
*OSD with some TELEM feed back. IE: horizon. batt voltage, flight timer.
*Decent pair of FPV goggles for a beginner that will work for an "old farts" eyes.

Thanks again for your post. I'm off to research your suggestions.[/QUO

It generally isn't my favorite brand for other stuff, but Eachine has some nice goggles. They start under $100 with 800x480 resolution with 80 degree field of view, and you can get 1920x1080 with diversity receiver for well under $150. They aren't as small or cool looking as fatsharks but the cost and field of view blow away fatsharks. Feel free to bounce off any ideas for other electronics.

I use an SP Racing Acro (mine is a clone, search for 6d0f) flight controller which I like, and it requires less soldering than some others like the Kiss.

When you are ready to start soldering, I can give you a couple tips to make it as easy as possible.

It generally isn't my favorite brand for other stuff, but Eachine has some nice goggles. They start under $100 with 800x480 resolution with 80 degree field of view, and you can get 1920x1080 with diversity receiver for well under $150. They aren't as small or cool looking as fatsharks but the cost and field of view blow away fatsharks. Feel free to bounce off any ideas for other electronics.

Thanks Again. You have been very helpful.
I've been looking at these goggles.
"Quanum Fatshark Genesis HD FPV Goggle w/Integrated 32 CH 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver"
Quanum Fatshark Genesis HD FPV Goggle w/Integrated 32 CH 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver

And also these "For The Cool Factor"
"Fatshark Teleporter V5 Headset"
Fatshark Teleporter V5 Headset

Ya I hate the look of the "Cyclops" style goggles too. And $200 is pushing the upper end of what I'd like to spend for beginner goggles. But I want something that will serve me well until my skill level progress. And I realize that quality products can make a big difference.

Thank You Sir GreenOrange

Do the EV800 feel "Big" on your face/head?
I have been looking into these myself

Thanks
Mark...

Do the EV800 feel "Big" on your face/head?
I have been looking into these myself

Thanks
Mark...

They do feel a bit heavy. But the wide field of view makes it worth it for me. I usually fly about a half hour at a time and it isn't a problem, they are comfortable. If you fly for like an hour or longer straight I don't know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax