Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New Racer looking for basic partslist help

Luftochsno

Reaction score
I recently moved to the middle of nowhere Washington, so decided it was the perfect time to get into drones. I'm looking to splurge a bit on a fun racing FPV setup but having no experience, I would greatly appreciate some help making sure I buy all the parts I need and that what I buy will be compatible. Two parts that already have me a bit baffled are batteries and antennas.

Partslist:
BNF Hawk 5
Flysky FS-i6X Transmitter
Fatshark (Either HD3 or HDO, undecided)
LaForge v4 with diversity module

--Antennas are where I get very confused, but I think I need one omni and one directional?--
--Also does right hand vs left hand for these matter?--
TrueRC 5.8GHz X-AIR
TBS Triumph 5.8GHz CP FPV Antenna Set (SMA)

--And last, batteries... Not quite sure, still researching what everything means with them, something something 4S?--

Anwyays, I am focusing a bit on the goggles and cheaping out on the transmitter because if I like the hobby, the goggles should last years, and if I don't, I have a friend who is into camera drones and I plan to gift them to her. So the goggles will see use one way or another.
Appreciate any advice, I work on medicine so this is way out of my wheelhouse.

Hi and welcome to the fun house.
OK as far as I can tell the hawk 5 only comes bnf with frsky receiver not flysky.
So you will need to change receiver,or transmitter to suit your budget.
That is a screamer of a quad for your first.
Maybe a bit much to start with, IMHO.
With no experience you will be way out of you league with that choice, again IMHO.
As for goggles I would personally go the hd3 core as they have a larger field of view.
Batteries can be confusing until you get into it a bit. But I would re consider choice of drone for a bit. That thing is super fast and you are going to crash (alot).
You will most likely end up broken more than flying.
Something less powerful and stronger maybe better for your first.
Wayne

if you don't want to break it
look into and use a simulator.
take it easy you're first flight to see if you can keep it under 15' and inside 100square box.... SLOWLY look around inside this small box. try to hover..look back at yourself to get used to that view. etc. etc.
small, in control steps. battery after battery. you'll get it pretty fast as long as you don't fly it like a race drone for a while. as for the list, 4s 1350mah is plenty for now. get a good charger!
id move the tx aside for frsky but replacing the rx in the drone to match what you have tx wise is far cheaper if you know how. digging into it a bit to change out will get you ready for your first motor swap or whatever is certainly coming.
good luck, remember its fun and keep us posted.

Reactions: Wayno52
im flying awhile now buddy all different type drones .. just got into fpv .. heres a good guid ..LEARN TO FLY SOMETHING SMALL BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT SPENDING MONEY IF YOUR ASKING ABOUT BATTERIES AND 4S /.. Get a small drone and when you stop bouncing it off walls then think about purchasing a quad .. sorry about the caps

i really like these..15361550155786052512698170497599.jpg
but lately ive bought several of these..
15361551686441508603978217408824.jpg
24$ per and after several cycles i think they are good. much less puffing and 4.5min flights. i was exclusively tattu with dozens of batteries (i like picking a brand and staying) but these rebels don't claim anything but high discharge. no C rating. they bust a nut as we'll as he tatu 95C. not better but too similar for me to tell a difference
.15361557802428011708773762633322.jpg and.... I'm a devout tattu guy
15361559753143290632098352700332.jpg
just saying you should look around, pick a brand and buy at least 4 of something.

Reactions: Zenpi314
regarding antenna... i can only say what i use. black sheep....
15361722932577705951843232904858.jpg
get a matching set (two per package) one for the quad and one for the headset.
also..
i use immersion rc flat panel for diversity on the goggles... there is newer versions but works a charm for me.
15361724506093081000195486668842.jpg

Reactions: irish-apple
Dude you got some nice gear there .. Im in the process of buying goggles .. I have the dji re goggles racing edition..unreal screen and view etc but looking for something easier to go about with //. if I were to say to you ..{ now I know there so many and dont suit everyone .\]{ but if I said what should I get and what do I need with it to work from the go instead of needing pagodas etc .. You seem to have a nice set up .. Have this little baby awaiting her first flight and wanting set of new goggles with it images.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax