Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New guy questions

Roadking

Reaction score
Website
aerialdroneservice.myportfolio.com
I'm brand new to this and thanks to the advice from members here I ordered what I need to get started.
- FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2.4GHz ACCST Radio w/ Soft Case (Mode 2)
- Eachine EV800D 5.8G 40CH Diversity FPV Goggles with DVR
- EMAX TinyHawk Micro Brushless FPV Drone (BNF)
- Some extra batteries and props

I thought it would make sense to get everything charged first. The XD9 and Goggles were obvious, but the USB battery charger for the TinyHawk wasn't clear.

It has two columns where the battery can plug into for a total of 6 plugs. There are dip switches in the center. The switches on the left are down, which seems to indicate .02A, the ones on the right are up which looks like .06A.

My question is which side should I use to charge the batteries?

I couldn't find the information anywhere.
Thank you for your help.

Your batteries will last longer the slower you charge them (lower amps) With these little 1s batteries I don't think it matters very much; they're gonna die quickly anyway. I tend to charge em fast and ride em hard. It does pay to charge them slower, and fly them easier for the the first few cycles.

The first thing you want to do is plug the tinyhawk into your computer and make sure it comes up. You don't need to plug a battery in. Just download the new betaflight, make sure your drivers are in order, and plug it in with a data cable. I do this first thing with every flight controller I get to test for QC.

Reactions: Futuramille
I tried connecting the tinyhawk to my PC. Not too successful with getting it to show in Betaflight. Maybe a driver issue but I'm not sure. Tried running ImpulseRC and messed with Zadig but don't know if i did it correctly.
Also tried running Velocidrone. Got that to launch but it's not reacting to my TX sticks. I'll keep trying.

Good news! I got Velocidrone working. What's the typical stick configuration? I thought I'd be able to keep the same as my Phantom 4, but on that throttle and lift are the same.

I also was able to update the X9D+ firmware with OpenTX, so the tx is up to date. Next I'll continue to work on Betaflight and hooking up the TinyHawk. making progress.

At least now I can experience the joy of crashing with Velocidrone. :mad:

Have you seen this page?

SUCCESS!!! Connected to betaflight and calibrated. Loaded all of the drivers and watched the video again. Also tried a third USB cable so who knows.
TinyHawk now connects.​
TX seems to be good to go.​
What's a good next step other than practicing crashing on Velocidrone? Anything need to be done with the goggles?

Thank you for your help. Really appreciated. You got me going.?

Last edited:
Kind of weird. Tinyhawk connects to Beta and everything looks good, but when I try to update it it just disconnects. Checked the drivers again because I still suspect they’re the issue. I was able to dump and save the FW that’s on the TH but just can’t update it. I was able to get as far as getting the update but just can’t load it.

Jump to acro as soon as you can. Just hop in with both feet, the tinyhawk is built to take it.
If I was setting it up for you all I would do is turn the accelerometer off to save processor, put it in airmode and switch the pid update to 8k. I'd also Bring the rates up to around 600 because the stock rates are super slow, but that's it.

Let us know once you get it bound and spin the props! Always great to welcome some new blood to the fold. :)

I was able to bind the Tinyhawk to the X9d. Also went into betaflight and adjusted the stick travel for each stick. My only issue now is that with everything on I get no response from the drone with stick movement. I must have touched a setting somewhere that I shouldn’t have. Making progress though.

I was able to bind the Tinyhawk to the X9d. Also went into betaflight and adjusted the stick travel for each stick. My only issue now is that with everything on I get no response from the drone with stick movement. I must have touched a setting somewhere that I shouldn’t have. Making progress though.

You probably have to create an Arm switch on the controller, and create an Arm mode in the modes tab in betaflight.

Reactions: kangusmangus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax