Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New antennas coming

• Thread starter Deleted member 3641
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3641

@HighTechPauper
I have been using a set of these on my HDO2's/RapidFire with the top one an a 90 degree adapter to stand straight up.
Lumenier AXII 2 5.8GHz Antenna (RHCP) (2 Pcs)
Going by what you were saying in Graywoulf's post, I ordered these.
IBCrazy 5.8GHz 10dBic Crosshair Antenna (RHCP)
Video Aerial Systems VAS Mad Mushroom V2 5.8GHz SMA Antenna - RHCP or LHCPRHCP
I ordered a 45 degree adapter for the patch to face it forward. My whoops all have linear whips except for my new non whoop which has a AXII-RHCP on it.
Do you think I will see much of an improvement in reception?
I am usually running at 200mW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, I wish I could say definitely yes, but I don't really think so, and here is why.
The Crosshair is good, the Crosshair Xtreme is better.
The AXii2 are almost identical to the Mad Mushroom V2 so I don't think there will be a huge difference there.
When running RapidFIRE mode 1 or 2 (combines both receivers and takes the best parts of both the signals from each antenna) the "magic" happens when both of the antennas are the exact same and is meant for 2 omni or 2 patch (limited use case for 2 patch).
When in Legacy mode is when you see 2 completely separate receivers with the RX module deciding which is better and it uses that one only, then switches if it sees a better signal on the other. This is when you would use an omni and a patch.
I will say that I am very happy with the performance of the new RF firmware, so if you are not at 1.3.1, I would suggest upgrading. Keep in mind one of the improvements takes away the "Sync" setting (I think that is what it was labeled) and makes the module always set to "short" sync time. This is supposed to significantly improve the compatibility with crappy cameras and reduce the need to run in RF Mode 2 or any rolling screen issues.
I hope this makes sense buddy.

Maybe, I wish I could say definitely yes, but I don't really think so, and here is why.
The Crosshair is good, the Crosshair Xtreme is better.
The AXii2 are almost identical to the Mad Mushroom V2 so I don't think there will be a huge difference there.
When running RapidFIRE mode 1 or 2 (combines both receivers and takes the best parts of both the signals from each antenna) the "magic" happens when both of the antennas are the exact same and is meant for 2 omni or 2 patch (limited use case for 2 patch).
When in Legacy mode is when you see 2 completely separate receivers with the RX module deciding which is better and it uses that one only, then switches if it sees a better signal on the other. This is when you would use an omni and a patch.
I will say that I am very happy with the performance of the new RF firmware, so if you are not at 1.3.1, I would suggest upgrading. Keep in mind one of the improvements takes away the "Sync" setting (I think that is what it was labeled) and makes the module always set to "short" sync time. This is supposed to significantly improve the compatibility with crappy cameras and reduce the need to run in RF Mode 2 or any rolling screen issues.
I hope this makes sense buddy.

Thanks for the info. I never thought about updating the RF firmware. Just updated to v1.3.2.
As for the antennas, where I am flying I stand in front of the garage facing the house which is a few hundred feet away. With the two omnis, I can fly behind the garage behind me with no problems. If I fly around the far side of the house, I start losing signal. I am hoping the patch will increase the signal on the other side of the house. I now have the choice of two setups (two omni or omni and patch) but sounds like I may not have needed the Mushroom...
I will try swapping out the Mushroom with the AXII while using the patch and see if there is any difference.
I am going to call GetFPV tomorrow and see if I can change my order to the Crosshair Extreme.
Thanks again...?

It looks like the AXII has better specs... Should have checked that first I guess.

AXII:
Gain: 2.2dbic
Axial ratio: 1.0 (near perfect)

Mushroom:
Gain: 1.35dbic
Axial ratio: 0.92

Maybe I'll get an adapter and use the Mushroom on my old EV100's (spectator goggles now).

Reactions: Wayno52
While the specs on paper say the AXii2 is a bit better, I think you will find that nothing beats a VAS antenna, I have tried almost all of them, I tried AXii V1's a while back and found them noticeably worse even thought they had much better specs than my 3 year old Mad Mushroom.

While the specs on paper say the AXii2 is a bit better, I think you will find that nothing beats a VAS antenna, I have tried almost all of them, I tried AXii V1's a while back and found them noticeably worse even thought they had much better specs than my 3 year old Mad Mushroom.
Cool.
I'll try them both with the patch and see if I can tell any difference.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I really didn't think to mention, but if you really wanted the best current omni antenna, it would be the VAS Ion Pro (2.5 dB) or the Skyhammer (5.25 dB) both with excellent axial ratios (measured, not theoretical) and the Crosshair Xtreme is a killer patch.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
I really didn't think to mention, but if you really wanted the best current omni antenna, it would be the VAS Ion Pro (2.5 dB) or the Skyhammer (5.25 dB) both with excellent axial ratios (measured, not theoretical) and the Crosshair Xtreme is a killer patch.
Now you tell me........?

• Haha
To be honest, being that I am flying whoops, the omnis should be good enough. It's when I go long in front of me that I get break up. Hopefully the Extreme will help with that. GetFPV would not change my order even though I contacted them within hours of placing the order. They said they are just not set up for that so I am getting a RMA for the entire order and going to place it with RDQ. That is where I have the Mushroom and the replacement Diamond VTX coming from.

@HighTechPauper
I have a problem with my latest build that I am calling "Whoopless" as it is my first non whoop build. I will give you a callout as I don't understand why I am not getting sensors with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I went and did it. I have the Crosshair Extreme and the Skyhammer on their way...:cool:

If I had your money, I would throw my money away! ?
I don't have any money, but I am now single with empty credit cards.:p
As a musician, I always got the "good" stuff. It costs more but is usually worth it. How does the saying go, you get what you pay for, at least most of the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput