Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Need help with my Tiny Whoop

graywoulf

Reaction score
I got a real good deal on a BetaFPV Beta 65s tiny whoop and I have flashed the settings back to the factory settings but for some reason the quad will not hardly fly up off of the floor. I have as far as I knot set the throttle range to the fullest range of 2000 but this quad acts like the battery is dying when the battery is fully charged. What have I overlooked on the settings if indeed that is the problem? Thanks!

Usually with the Whoop class it is all about the pigtail, the PH2.0 connectors wear very quickly and some of them are a "folded pin" design instead of a "solid pin" design. It could also have to do with the connectors on the motors, the little JST connectors they use will not hold up to the current the motors pull so many people direct solder the motors. I would try a new a new JST PH2.0 pigtail first.

Usually with the Whoop class it is all about the pigtail, the PH2.0 connectors wear very quickly and some of them are a "folded pin" design instead of a "solid pin" design. It could also have to do with the connectors on the motors, the little JST connectors they use will not hold up to the current the motors pull so many people direct solder the motors. I would try a new a new JST PH2.0 pigtail first.

Thanks, I will do that first. You never know what a used quad has been through. And I think that the VTX antenna has a loose ground connection too.

Hey @graywoulf, I totally missed something, this is one of the brushed motor tiny whoops, a true tiny whoop original flavor. The motors on these wear out fairly quickly because they are NOT brushless, usually they are rated at about 6 hours of flight. In this case it is not about the motor connectors, that only applies to brushless, for brushed you just get a new set of motors (in the $12 to $25-ish range) and swap them out. So it could be one (or more) of the motors is worn out, and/or the pigtail. Last but not least, these whoop class boards are extremely small and dissipate a lot of heat quickly when soldering. Almost any time at all on the board and the teeny tiny spec sized surface mount components will melt their solder too and they can move very easily. If you have to work on the vTX antenna try to plan the job so that you get in and out quickly and don't bump any nearby components. Good luck!

Reactions: Wayno52
Well, replacing the battery connector did help a lot but I am feeling like I got scammed on this one. Fortunately, I have a bunch of new brushed motors on hand. I did get to fly it some today but the batteries that came with it don't last but a couple of minutes each. I also found that the frame has a lot of stress marks on it as well as a cracked motor mount spar. I would like to take it outside for a test flight but there is just too much wind for that. I think I will resume my Tinyhawk Freestyle mods for now.

Thanks for the help. ?

Yeah, any breeze at all is too much for a TW, they are just so light they get pushed around pretty good. It kind of depends what you paid for it on whether you got scammed, Just the FC/ESC combo is probably 40-50 bucks by itself. It is not terribly unusual to only get 2-3 minutes out of a whoop, also the PH2.0 on the batteries is subject to high wear also and 1s packs don't hold up as well as multi cell packs. I have found a little E6000 or Welder or Shoe Goo goes a long way with whoop frames.

Reactions: Wayno52
I tried a dab of super glue gel but I have not checked it to see if it held. I may just order a new frame instead. I paid $60 for it and got 9 batteries and one of the good chargers that will run off of a 3 or 4S battery and I got some spare props as well. I guess it could have been worse. There is no way to know if the seller knew about the excessive wear or just wanted to get rid of it because of the wear. I just wanted something that didn't have too much power just to play with indoors. I just wish I could get a break in the weather wind wise to try it out with some flying space. And the video quality isn't too bad for the 25mw it puts out so maybe the antenna does not have a broken connection after all.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Just a thought buddy but by the time you buy the frame and mess around with it.
And replace brushed motors quite regularly which was my experience with brushed.
You could keep some parts but I personally would bite the bullet and go brushless. Just me though.
This is well priced and is brushless.
Again just food for thought.
Sometimes you just gotta put a purchase down as a learning curve.
Buying second hand can be ok but not always.

Just a thought buddy but by the time you buy the frame and mess around with it. And replace brushed motors quite regularly which was my experience with brushed.
You could keep some parts but I personally would bite the bullet and go brushless. Just me though. This is well priced and is brushless. Again just food for thought. Sometimes you just gotta put a purchase down as a learning curve. Buying second hand can be ok but not always.

Yeah, I know you are right. I really don't want to spend any more money on this TW but after seeing a lot of videos on it, it just looked like a lot of fun. I have a couple of cheap TW's like Eachine and Furibee but I wanted something that had a real FC that I could manage settings in Betaflight. I now have two Tinyhawk Freestyles. I bought one as parts but it's only problem was that it has a broken bottom plate so I thought I could convert it to a cinewhoop perhaps.

As I said earlier, I have extra motors for the Beta 65s so I might install them later on just to try to get my money's worth out of it. At $60, I thought it was a good deal considering that these things new cost over $100 at this time and the extra batteries would have been $25 as well.
Like you said, it's a learning curve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fducloux