Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!

Need help buying the correct parts for my first racing drone.

1ikhan

Reaction score
@HighTechPauper alright so I just got my transmitter yesterday, and I must say that thing feels cheaper than the ev800ds lol. Anything in particular I should watch for on the x9 lite pro? I know I have to update the opentx firmware and the internal transmitter firmware, as well as the receiver firmware when that gets here. Also have to set up fport too. What I am curious about is whether or not I have to touch the opentx configurator software at all, and what benefits do I get learning how to use it?

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
@HighTechPauper alright so I just got my transmitter yesterday, and I must say that thing feels cheaper than the ev800ds lol
That surprises me, Frsky is known for pretty good build quality even if some of the pieces look less than perfect, at least they are solid design and build. The few reviews I've seen on the new models said they were solid I thought. I have an original X-Lite, as well as an X9D+ and the QX7S I use as my daily flyer, they are all pretty good with only minor "cheapness" observed. I was not a fan of the new stuff from Frsky, and I doubt I will ever buy any of it. They are trying to bully the market and vendors in a number of ways I don't condone and will not support, but the older versions still available would get my money even today. I don't like their push to ACCESS and dropping support for the D8 receivers since I have too many D8's in whoops and such. They do have a couple of nice features that would be cool, but more a nice to have than a need to have, but still I would think it is a solid way to go

What in particular did you note about the TX?

@HighTechPauper Also have to set up fport too.
FPort may be hit or miss, but I can't be sure what will happen for you. I haven't tried to set it up on anything of mine, and the old method works too good to start changing things that are working. Some people I have helped recently seemed to be working fine and then had Telemetry get wonky on FPort, then went back to SBus and Smart Port and all was well. Setting up FPort is just a matter of flashing the RX with the FPort build if applicable, a single wire instead of 2, and then config BF and pray and test it. I generally steer away from a lot of the "new stuff", it is often problematic and so little info out there when there are issues. If I were just starting, I would probably try it too, if you run into issues you can rewire it for the old way.

@HighTechPauper What I am curious about is whether or not I have to touch the opentx configurator software at all, and what benefits do I get learning how to use it?
I think this will be a must if you're talking about OpenTX Configurator, I think you will need it to flash the TX, although they may have some way to put a file on the SD and run it that way, again, I am not sure because these things weren't available when I started.

Reactions: 1ikhan

1ikhan

Reaction score
That surprises me, Frsky is known for pretty good build quality even if some of the pieces look less than perfect, at least they are solid design and build. The few reviews I've seen on the new models said they were solid I thought. I have an original X-Lite, as well as an X9D+ and the QX7S I use as my daily flyer, they are all pretty good with only minor "cheapness" observed. I was not a fan of the new stuff from Frsky, and I doubt I will ever buy any of it. They are trying to bully the market and vendors in a number of ways I don't condone and will not support, but the older versions still available would get my money even today. I don't like their push to ACCESS and dropping support for the D8 receivers since I have too many D8's in whoops and such. They do have a couple of nice features that would be cool, but more a nice to have than a need to have, but still I would think it is a solid way to go

What in particular did you note about the TX?

FPort may be hit or miss, but I can't be sure what will happen for you. I haven't tried to set it up on anything of mine, and the old method works too good to start changing things that are working. Some people I have helped recently seemed to be working fine and then had Telemetry get wonky on FPort, then went back to SBus and Smart Port and all was well. Setting up FPort is just a matter of flashing the RX with the FPort build if applicable, a single wire instead of 2, and then config BF and pray and test it. I generally steer away from a lot of the "new stuff", it is often problematic and so little info out there when there are issues. If I were just starting, I would probably try it too, if you run into issues you can rewire it for the old way.

I think this will be a must if you're talking about OpenTX Configurator, I think you will need it to flash the TX, although they may have some way to put a file on the SD and run it that way, again, I am not sure because these things weren't available when I started.
Alright so concerning the quality of the tx, the actual functional parts are quality. The tensioning is symmetrical on the gimbals judging by the feel and sound. The switches are hefty and clicky, just the momentary switch feels a little mushy compared to the toggles. The plastic quality is where it falls short imo. When you hold it, it feels no different than the plastic of a cheap membrane keyboard on Amazon. The plastic on the ev800d is not only thicker, but also softer to the touch. I'm guessing frsky or uruav, whoever is responsible for molding the body of the tx, cheaped out on the body quality. Nothing is creaking, just not quality. Functionally, it can do almost everything the bigger x9d can when you put in the charging board and the multi protocol module. But you are spending more money. Interesting thing to note with the x9 lite pro, aside from the hall sensors, is that it appears that you can use crossfire without any bottlenecks when you use an adapter. None of that slower baud rate from what I have read so far. I do not like the fact that frsky is trying to strong arm things, but at the end of the day this can do almost everything with some mods. Seems like you can grow with it.

As far the fport, yeah don't see why not to try it unless it doesnt work.

Guess there goes another couple of hours trying to learn software.

Reactions: HighTechPauper

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
Yeah, good info on this stuff is almost impossible to find, Frsky makes good stuff but doesn't document anything, it is up to the community to experiment and figure it out, that's another reason I stick to more mature and well documented equipment, less headaches sometimes. I would just watch a video on updating transmitter with opentx and that should be all the basics you need to work with flashing the radio IF they haven't changed too much.

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
Also, you can kind of see the cheap in the plastic, even in the photographs, so I see what you mean and it is a shame, their older stuff had a decent feel comparatively so I think they are making a mistakes all the way around lately.

1ikhan

Reaction score
Yeah, good info on this stuff is almost impossible to find, Frsky makes good stuff but doesn't document anything, it is up to the community to experiment and figure it out, that's another reason I stick to more mature and well documented equipment, less headaches sometimes. I would just watch a video on updating transmitter with opentx and that should be all the basics you need to work with flashing the radio IF they haven't changed too much.
Thankfully the flashing firmware process seems relatively easy, dunno how it was before so I have no frame of reference, but I remember having to flash esc firmware way back with ftdi adapters. Anything is easier than that lol.

And on the comment about quality going down, get em while the products sill make sense hahah.

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9TFoX