Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

My First FPV Flight......Advice?

Serius

Reaction score
Hello..

I finally got to go on my maiden voyage(or voyages I should say as I crashed a lot). Question, does the disorientation get easier over time and with practice?

I lost where the drone was on many occasions and either had to force land, crash or almost hit myself in the head with my own drone..by inches..

Also, I had a clover leaf antenna on my drone and broke that already. Is there a decent cheap crash resistant antenna that I can use? The metal clove snapped off but fortunately still good video for a decent amount of time.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Hey Serius,
yes it will take some getting used to, I suggest a spotter while you adapt to the FPV, just a thought, after loosing my first racer it the woods, and after looking for an hour or so ( I found it thanks to the low battery alarm ) I purchased a GPS mini tracker that will track whatever you strap it to to within 5 meters. I use ( TK Tracker around $30.00 ) drone doesn't even know it's there but will lead you right to it via the downloadable app for IOS & Droid.

Reactions: pixelPilot
Hey Serius,
yes it will take some getting used to, I suggest a spotter while you adapt to the FPV, just a thought, after loosing my first racer it the woods, and after looking for an hour or so ( I found it thanks to the low battery alarm ) I purchased a GPS mini tracker that will track whatever you strap it to to within 5 meters. I use ( TK Tracker around $30.00 ) drone doesn't even know it's there but will lead you right to it via the downloadable app for IOS & Droid.

Awesome advice. Thanks

Lol. Good that it wasn't damaged. Thier tough little buggers. Glad you found it

Looks like great flying country Jerry. I have a feeling that the transition from LOS to FPV isn't really going to be easy. But I'm sure that my LOS Heli skills will help. When you fly LOS (Helis) a lot, you learn little tricks to help you regain orientation. But even those trick don't work well if your really far away.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Phoenix.... Im new to any RC flying but I thought it would be cake going from LOS to FPV...For me it was not. A bit disorientating but I'll get better. I think your Heli skills will make you get good fadst

Reactions: PhoenixFord
Lol glad seeing I'm not the only one.. had mine since right before Christmas and crashed hard 3 times, each time had to order parts. I'm waiting on the weather here to clear up and see if I can break something else lol
One thing I have learn already I got Velcro to put on my battery and quad to help hold along with the strap, in one of my crashes battery slid back broke fpv antenna and transmitter and obviously ruined a battery lol

Keep hammering down, I am..

I'm ordering more of the common breakable parts, but we're going to crash alot. It's soo much fun. Plus I like working on them

Serius, I ended up buying the Lumenier AXii 5.8 ant. for mine it is super small and has great reception. also really durable!

This shot shows a comparison of the ant. (far left is the lumenier) I picked mine up from progressive RC they had them in stock for $40

Attachments

• lumenier-axxi-5-8-antenna-size-comparison.jpg
    lumenier-axxi-5-8-antenna-size-comparison.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 6
Nice, I just got (2) of the style next to the ones u bought $30. I'll check out that antenna, Thanks

The TBS style you bought is what I was going to get as well, until I saw this set and went with these do to the size.

Mark.

Reactions: Serius
Looks like great flying country Jerry. I have a feeling that the transition from LOS to FPV isn't really going to be easy. But I'm sure that my LOS Heli skills will help. When you fly LOS (Helis) a lot, you learn little tricks to help you regain orientation. But even those trick don't work well if your really far away.
Do any of those tricks for the heli work with quads? I would be interested in hearing about them..cheers

Do any of those tricks for the heli work with quads? I would be interested in hearing about them..cheers

I've seen videos of quads doing funnels. Biggest problem with quads not being able to do 3D stunts is: Cyclic - Collective - Pitch - Mixing on Helis (CCPM). This means that the blades (on helis) are capable of rotating from a positive pitch to a negative pitch. This gives the heli the capability of flying upside down with as much agility as flying right side up. I read the possibility of quads having reversing motors in the future. But I don't think present technology allows fast enough response time with reversing motors on quads to provide stable flight. Until then, there are some things that quads just can't do. But, helis can't run a race course as good as a quad can either.

I'm not a 3D pilot yet. I can fly inverted well enough. But I can't do any tricks other than barrel rolls. When flying inverted (LOS), all of your controls are inverted. And different controls continue to reverse depending on the orientation of the aircraft. This trick aolne requires tons of muscle memory and good eye-hand coordination. My favorite trick (I can't do) is the backwards inverted hurricane. I love the sound of the blades beating the air when performing that trick. The sound is awesome. If you haven't seen a professional pilot doing that trick, you should.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax