Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Morning all...

Welcome @GodzMustBeCrazy! The Hawk 5 is a fantastic quad, and you won't be disappointed in its performance. I am up near Annapolis MD so we are fairly close, maybe we can get together to fly sometime.

So what gear to you have to fly the Hawk5 with? (TX and goggles)

Welcome @GodzMustBeCrazy! The Hawk 5 is a fantastic quad, and you won't be disappointed in its performance. I am up near Annapolis MD so we are fairly close, maybe we can get together to fly sometime.

So what gear to you have to fly the Hawk5 with? (TX and goggles)
Thanks, I'm kind of jumping in *** backwards, I literally have nothing else other then a LIPO charger that I used for airsoft. I'm now looking into the most affordable way to get it up and going without going getting junk. I guess I jumped the gun on ordering my quad first lol. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and my head is kind of spinning. I normally catch onto stuff fast, but all this is foreign to me. Any recommendations on stuff I need to get it in the air will be much appreciated.

I would go with a turanis Tx. X9D Plus SE with the antenna fixed already and the upgraded gimbals. turanis has the best selection of small recievers IMO.

on the goggles, there's a big price difference between what's available.
Just keep in mind that you'll have multiple quads but only need one set of TX and goggles. I use Fatshark Dom V3 and glad I chose them because all the major development is going into 5.8 modules for Fatsharks. If I were to buy new (ive had my v3 since they came out over a year ago, no issues) id buy the fatshark HDO. I understand goggles+5.8module+patch/circular antennas will run over $600.
heres the catch, once you get flying with inferior head sets and you start questioning if the view could be better, there's a good chance you'll go to fatshark and end up buying twice. In FPV, the view is pretty important to enjoying the hobby.

I would go with a turanis Tx. X9D Plus SE with the antenna fixed already and the upgraded gimbals. turanis has the best selection of small recievers IMO.

on the goggles, there's a big price difference between what's available.
Just keep in mind that you'll have multiple quads but only need one set of TX and goggles. I use Fatshark Dom V3 and glad I chose them because all the major development is going into 5.8 modules for Fatsharks. If I were to buy new (ive had my v3 since they came out over a year ago, no issues) id buy the fatshark HDO. I understand goggles+5.8module+patch/circular antennas will run over $600.
heres the catch, once you get flying with inferior head sets and you start questioning if the view could be better, there's a good chance you'll go to fatshark and end up buying twice. In FPV, the view is pretty important to enjoying the hobby.
Yeah I've been interested for a while now, but just got a wild hair to jump into it without doing much research into cost first... Totally not like me to do that, but it's something that it would seem like I'd enjoy a lot. So I seen the EMAX HAWK 5 for $190 with a coupon on GearBest and made an impulse buy thinking it wouldn't cost much to get going... And I thought by going with the HAWK 5 I wouldn't be double buying like you said above... But it's done lol

There are so many great choices, and you do not have to break the bank to get very good stuff, PM me if you want to talk recommendations or anything. BTW, the Hawk5 for that price is a steal!

I've just picked up a Hawk 5 and flown it for the first time yesterday and the difference between that and my brace of X220 quads is chalk and cheese. Beautiful to fly and blindingly quick straight out of the box. I bought a Taranis QX7S Tx and the settings are mind boggling but the controls are uber smooth. As mentioned above by the brains trust, if you are buying goggles, buy the best you can afford the first time as you'll end up buying them anyway after burning unnecessary cash along the way. I have a set of Fatshark V3 and am currently having a warranty repair after fitting a True D diversity module. Apparently the module overpowers the goggles and the smoke gets out. However for the first couple of times that I used them, they were brilliant and I've been assured that following the repairs, it won't happen again.

Hmmm, think I may have to get me one of those hawk 5's. Lol
Spending plenty on my 3" quads ATM though. Dang I love 3" quads.
Yeah I'm stoked with the Hawk 5, I bought it and a pile of other spares from Grant at Buzz Hobbies on your recommendation. Heading off to a volunteers lunch shortly and I'll be sliding off for a fly in the local park whilst they are smashing cucumber sandwiches and sipping wine. If I were to look at 3" quads, any recommendations?

Æther V2 3″ BNF (HD) – Flynoceros
may be the best 3" available!
I can vouch for the bnf build quality
  • Aether V2 with 3″ Arms
  • HGLRC F420 Stack (20×20)
  • Runcam Split Mini 2 (Optional Foxeer Predator Mini V3)
  • Flynoceros Stackable VTX
  • Lumenier AXII Stubby
  • Emax 1306 4000
  • Gemfan Flash 3052 Props (2 Sets)
  • FRSky Receiver (Optional)
The Æther V2 features:

• Individual Locking Arms
  • Soft-mounted Rollcage
  • Minimal Hardware
  • Stretched or True X Versions
  • Chamfered Edges
  • 30.5×30.5 & 20×20 Stack Options
  • 25mm Stack Clearance
  • Easy Access Stack
AUW w/ Split: 196g (no battery)

Reactions: Wayno52 and tevek
Æther V2 3″ BNF (HD) – Flynoceros
may be the best 3" available!
I can vouch for the bnf build quality
  • Aether V2 with 3″ Arms
  • HGLRC F420 Stack (20×20)
  • Runcam Split Mini 2 (Optional Foxeer Predator Mini V3)
  • Flynoceros Stackable VTX
  • Lumenier AXII Stubby
  • Emax 1306 4000
  • Gemfan Flash 3052 Props (2 Sets)
  • FRSky Receiver (Optional)
The Æther V2 features:

• Individual Locking Arms
  • Soft-mounted Rollcage
  • Minimal Hardware
  • Stretched or True X Versions
  • Chamfered Edges
  • 30.5×30.5 & 20×20 Stack Options
  • 25mm Stack Clearance
  • Easy Access Stack
AUW w/ Split: 196g (no battery)
Thanks for the tip, had a look a their website this morning and wondering if they ship to Australia or if they have a local vendor for spares etc. I'll do some more research this afternoon, cheers.

I've just picked up a Hawk 5 and flown it for the first time yesterday and the difference between that and my brace of X220 quads is chalk and cheese. Beautiful to fly and blindingly quick straight out of the box. I bought a Taranis QX7S Tx and the settings are mind boggling but the controls are uber smooth. As mentioned above by the brains trust, if you are buying goggles, buy the best you can afford the first time as you'll end up buying them anyway after burning unnecessary cash along the way. I have a set of Fatshark V3 and am currently having a warranty repair after fitting a True D diversity module. Apparently the module overpowers the goggles and the smoke gets out. However for the first couple of times that I used them, they were brilliant and I've been assured that following the repairs, it won't happen again.
Good to hear, I'm ordering the Fatshark HD0 and Taranis QX7S on Monday...

Good to hear, I'm ordering the Fatshark HD0 and Taranis QX7S on Monday...
Pretty sure given my limited experience with racing quad set ups, thou shalt be very happy indeed. If I can get another set of goggles, I’ll be looking at the HDO set up. My repaired V3s are on the way back to me and I’ll probably come up with some lame excuse to upgrade, maybe Santa has them on special...

tevek, I'm on a 3" binge ATM.
On order.
found a very interesting goods in Gearbest:Diatone 2019 GT R349 135mm TBS VTX FPV Racing RC Drone BNF - BLACK https://gearbest.app.link/YKDqzsyMES

found a very interesting goods in Gearbest:GEPRC GEP - MX3 Sparrow V2 600TVL FPV RC Drone - MULTI BNF ( WITH RECEIVER, NO BATTERY ) https://gearbest.app.link/44F2K5iNES

At home now waiting for me when I return from work for xmas

found a very interesting goods in Gearbest:helifar X140 PRO Micro FPV Racing Drone - Black PNP withot Receiver - BLACK PNP WITHOUT RECEIVER https://gearbest.app.link/3i1CY5XMES
Only I got the bnf.

Going to be a high flying Xmas this year,
Really excited to see how the diatone is as I have flown them since beginning and love them.

Oh and I also have my falcon cp130.
Not a real fan though camera is shocking and not great on 4s.
Got my new Xd9 plus now too so all frsky from now on.
Will keep the flysky tx for whoops I think.

Nates out of town and Ive got the fleet to myself...7 days. But its been raining so ppfffffft.
its only Friday though so Im hopeful and have batteries charged waiting

Reactions: Wayno52
tevek, I'm on a 3" binge ATM.
On order.
found a very interesting goods in Gearbest:Diatone 2019 GT R349 135mm TBS VTX FPV Racing RC Drone BNF - BLACK https://gearbest.app.link/YKDqzsyMES

found a very interesting goods in Gearbest:GEPRC GEP - MX3 Sparrow V2 600TVL FPV RC Drone - MULTI BNF ( WITH RECEIVER, NO BATTERY ) https://gearbest.app.link/44F2K5iNES

At home now waiting for me when I return from work for xmas

found a very interesting goods in Gearbest:helifar X140 PRO Micro FPV Racing Drone - Black PNP withot Receiver - BLACK PNP WITHOUT RECEIVER https://gearbest.app.link/3i1CY5XMES
Only I got the bnf.

Going to be a high flying Xmas this year,
Really excited to see how the diatone is as I have flown them since beginning and love them.
Hmm, I have been thinking about getting a 3” quad to put into the mix mainly due to the area around my yard being fairly full of trees and the larger drones causing me to fill my pants now and again. What is your experience with Gearbest, had to download an app to view the deals and the pricing looks competitive, but have always tried to shop local. Leaning towards a quad with a matching frsky Rx to match my Taranis qx7s tx, I guess it’s easy enough to simply buy a matching receiver but would prefer one that comes with the quad to assume it’s already set up.

Reactions: Wayno52

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya