Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Mobula7 EU-LBT TaranisQ X7 Binding Problem!

opts

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I really hope someone can help!

I just received my Mobula 7 (Frsky EU-LBT - XM+ Version) and i'm having a nightmare trying to bind it to my TaranisQ X7.

I have the FCC (International) Taranis Qx7 but have flashed it with the XJT EU-LBT firmware, and updated the Open TX Firmware also, but i just cant get it to bind!!

I've followed these steps:

- hold down bind button on XM+ receiver

-whilst holding, powered via USB (betaflight recognises the Mobula7 no problem)

- green and red LEDs go solid on XM+

- release bind button (XM+ LEDs stay solid)

- turn on TaranisQX7 (only D16 and LR12 available)

-selected new model, then go to [Bnd] (bind)

- QX7 bleeps like it should when binding

but, nothing else happens! XM+ LEDs stay solid (green and red)

I'm probably missing something, but i'm at a loss as to what!

I'm at my wits end with this, so if any one could offer any suggestions it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Maybe try:
Hit the bind button on the Taranis
Whilst it’s beeping, hold down the bind button on the xm+ and plug a battery into the quad at the same time (bit fiddly).
Don’t worry about plugging in the usb.
Not sure about the various iterations of EU and non EU FW but I’ve always bound my quads that way.

Thanks man! I'll try that - i only just got up and my brain is still a bit fried from all the Open TX business yesterday (had every conceivable issue with installing it and spent hours updating/installing numerous things on my PC)
Once i've had myself a cup of tea and some brekky i should be ready for round 2, or 5 or whatever the heck i'm up to! Thanks again!

Thanks man! I'll try that - i only just got up and my brain is still a bit fried from all the Open TX business yesterday (had every conceivable issue with installing it and spent hours updating/installing numerous things on my PC)
Once i've had myself a cup of tea and some brekky i should be ready for round 2, or 5 or whatever the heck i'm up to! Thanks again!
Good luck, I run the non EU gear and only update if I have to. Binding should be the same as long as the firmware matches on your gear. If not, there are some clever people on the forum that will definitely get you up and flying.

Hey mate! thanks for the suggestion, i tried what you said - followed it to the letter, but still no luck..
I really appreciate the support though! I can't wait to get this little sucker airborne!

Hey mate! thanks for the suggestion, i tried what you said - followed it to the letter, but still no luck..
I really appreciate the support though! I can't wait to get this little sucker airborne!
Ok, I have the older Accst Taranis QX7S which is compatible with both D8 and D16 set ups. I suspect you have the later Taranis Access protocol transmitter which requires a work around to bind to the mobula 7 and the like. I have a mobula 7 HD which I bound in D8 from memory due to earlier AIO issues with their boards ( they would desync/failsafe).
In any case I’ll tag @HighTechPauper to see if he can chime in. The man is a guru and often helps with either tips or direct contact to get you sorted. He got me out of some shite a while back and hopefully do the same for yourself.
All good.

That's great! Thanks for taking the time to help me out! I reckon it's got to be something to do with the transmitter side of things too.

Hi @opts, I am wondering what may be going on with your setup, and I have a few questions...
First off, the Mob7 usually has a buitl in SPI receiver and NOT an external board like an XM or XM+, what makes you think it is an XM+?
Does the receiver have 2 antennas? Is it a seperate board?

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
It does indeed seem to have an XM+, separate board with two antennas - I (now realise unnecessarily) bought the EU-LBT version from banggood - i'm pretty new to this and thought my QX7 was also an EU-LBT radio (it isn't - it's the FCC International i.e. "normal" version). So after waiting a month for the darn thing (Mob7) to arrive on the slow boat, i'm kinda stuck with it!

-I'm in the UK btw

I am pretty sure you can reflash the RX with FCC firmware, I am also pretty sure that the FCC vs EU/LBT is your binding issue. I am really floored that the Mob7 came with an XM+ in it. Did you buy this new or used? And if new, where from?

Yeah, bought it new -

if you scroll down to the specs:

Onboard Frsky EU-LBT Version
(External XM+ receiver)
Operating Voltage Range: 3.7~10V
Operating Current: 30mA @5V
Operating Range: Full range
With RSSI output on board: Analog 0~3.3V
Firmware Upgradeable, Default firmware EU-LBT with RSSI

Seems weird to me now i've received it! It even has two stickers on the box - one saying EU-LBT, and the other says XM+

Thanks for helping me out too!

I'm slightly hesitant to crack open the Mobula if there's any other way! but am i correct in thinking that if i flashed the QX7 [OpenTX and XJT] with EU-LBT firmware, then that should match the XM+ receiver? (as long as the XM+ is an EU version)

I THINK you are correct that an XJT EU/LBT firmware load on your TX will work, but if I didn't live in a EU/LBT zone I would never do that, FCC is better for a number of reasons, but if you do you just wont know if it works until you actually flash the XJT and get it to work. I know that the RX is NOT different for both FCC and EU/LBT, but I'm also pretty sure you can't load a EU/LBT TX with FCC version and have it work, everything may update ok but it doesn't give you D8 like you would want for instance (the reason to try this is get D8 in Europe), but it just won't work. I think all you can do is try it, check that the version is recognized by the radio, and see if it works. If it fails to work, hope is not lost, you may just need to break into the Mob7, but that will have to happen before long anyway. I don't know if anyone has told you yet (or if you already knew) but these things often break (usually a blown ESC) long before we want them to, and sometimes very early in their life, if there was ever any real reliability in them they would cost twice as much. I have my fingers crossed for you, and will standby to help if possible. It's late and I'm tired, I hope this all makes sense.

Last edited:
Cheers for getting back to me!
So, i have flashed the XJT and OpenTX with EU-LBT firmware and the QX7 "accepted" it - one thing i was slightly unsure about was the version on OpenTX Companion that i used to do this - I used OpenTX Companion V 2.2.4 I followed a video on Youtube saying to use the version that matches what's already on the radio, i would have naturally assumed that using the newest version (V 2.3.9) would have been best, but i went with the older one - including the matching SDcard contents. Is this the way to go? or should i use the newer version of OpenTX?
Once i'd done this D8 mode was unavailable on new models, (so it appeared to have worked/swapped to EU-LBT, as intended) but another model i have on the radio still has D8 mode, and still flies fine.
(Also i do have the FCC QX7)
Yeah, i am aware of the constant tinkering required in this hobby! - i'm just thinking that if i can show Banggood that the RX wont bind and my radio is all correct, maybe they'll accept that there's an issue with the Mobula7 they sent and be able to send a new FC (fcc) or something.. wish i'd just bought the regular FCC Mobula now! Well i've learned something i suppose :/

Yes I think OpenTX 2.2.4 is fine, the OpenTX really has nothing to do with the XJT module firmware, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade it either since the 2 pieces are not tied to each other. Yes it is true, any quad bound to the radio will still be bound after update. It is pretty easy to flash an RX once you have an idea of what to do, it is even fairly easy to flash one that is already soldered in as long as you can get to the solder pads on the RX. I will post a pic of a cable I use to flash my XM/XM+ RX's and if you look I use a 90 degree header pin that usually comes with the RX, I setup to flash so that all I have to do is hit the button on the TX and just press the header pins into the solder on the pads and hit the button.

Yess! This is good! I have loads of dupont wire and header pins so i think this will work! It's one of the hottest days of the year here today - i'll wait till it cools down a bit and give this a shot.
So i could keep the Taranis/XJT on International FCC Firmware, and just flash to RX to match, right?

I still haven't cracked open the open the Mobula, but from what i can see of the FC it doesn't have an SPI antenna, but if it does, do you think i could remove the XM+ entirely and reflash the FC? There doesn't seem to be any advantage to keeping it on there if i can do without it, it's just extra weight.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out here!

Here is the SPI antenna on mine and you can look to see if it is the FC with the FR pictured on mine to try and guess if it still has the built in RX maybe. Adjustments.jpg

Yes, you should be able to flash the XM+ with FCC of the proper version and it should work, they added the XM+ to the Mob7 because the internal SPI RX's are notoriously bad on range and have issues with D16 mode and failsafing. I am guessing that this FC does NOT have an internal SPI or antenna, but I am not sure. You will need to have a look and see if you see one attached or not. This is a bit of a guessing game, you will just need to look I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas