Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

mobula7 and eachine ev800d, improve video quality

mikeottinger

Reaction score
Hi all, pretty new to fpv, been flying more los in the past. I’ve picked up a mobula7 as well as Eachine ev800d goggles. The setup seemed pretty easy and straight forward but one thing I’m noticing is that the range seems to be pretty limited before I get a lot of static in the goggles. The drone will be a couple hundred feet away from me and I’ll get enough static that I’ll lose control of the quad. Is that just how the range is on these things or are there some upgrades I can do on either the vtx or antenna that would give better results?

Yes, there is some kind of an issue as the Mobula7 range is around 700 metres in good conditions. If you haven't changed anything, I'd look at your goggles being the issue. Did you do autoscan on the goggles to pick up the channel on your vtx? If so, set the channel on your goggles manually according to the channel your vtx is set to.

Yes, there is some kind of an issue as the Mobula7 range is around 700 metres in good conditions. If you haven't changed anything, I'd look at your goggles being the issue. Did you do autoscan on the goggles to pick up the channel on your vtx? If so, set the channel on your goggles manually according to the channel your vtx is set to.
Yeah the static sets in way before 700 meters for me. And it can be bad enough that I’m disoriented enough I need to bring the quad down. I’ll make sure the vtx antenna isn’t dislodged somehow from a previous crash. I’ll try the manual setting as well. Aside from this, any recommendations on updates to equipment that might improve things? Can the vtx be upgraded on mobula7?

Yeah the static sets in way before 700 meters for me. And it can be bad enough that I’m disoriented enough I need to bring the quad down. I’ll make sure the vtx antenna isn’t dislodged somehow from a previous crash. I’ll try the manual setting as well. Aside from this, any recommendations on updates to equipment that might improve things? Can the vtx be upgraded on mobula7?

I have the 800D as well, and the antennas it came with are garbage. Switching to a better antenna set made a huge difference to me. Basically put, just about ANY patch and Omni set you get will be better than what it came with.

that said 700 meters is almost half a mile, and I'm FOR SURE not getting that kind of range, even off my big quads with a TBS unify. Maybe 300 :)

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I have the 800D as well, and the antennas it came with are garbage. Switching to a better antenna set made a huge difference to me. Basically put, just about ANY patch and Omni set you get will be better than what it came with.

that said 700 meters is almost half a mile, and I'm FOR SURE not getting that kind of range, even off my big quads with a TBS unify. Maybe 300 :)
Can I ask what antenna set you upgraded to? I’m pretty unfamiliar with the options that are out there

Can I ask what antenna set you upgraded to? I’m pretty unfamiliar with the options that are out there
You know what, I have an Aomway patch that was given to me, and I'm running an Omni that I pulled off my Batman220. Pretty much any omni you can get would be better than the one it came with.
This is an example of a pair, but it's sold out.

And just as a side-note, the Mob7 stock camera image isn't the great even with good signal.
I have these on the way, should be a good upgrade

I'm kinda new to this hobby as well, but one thing I've been told it's too match up antenna types. The dv800d comes with a patch antenna and a circular antenna. The Mobula7 uses a dipole antenna. I believe the patch antenna works with the dipole, but must be facing the quad as it's kind of directional. If I'm incorrect about any of this, please educate me.

There are a few basics...
Dipoles will work fine with Circular Polarized antennas, both left and right polarized.
If running all polarized, they must all be Left hand or R hand polarized (LHCP vs RHCP) do not mix the 2
There are 2 types of SMA connectors, SMA and RP-SMA (RP is Reverse Polarity) make sure you get the right one for your situation. If the center pin is on the antenna, it is SMA, if the center pin is on the device (goggles, vTX, etc) then it is an RP-SMA.

As the good man ^ said, make sure you’re running the same polarized antenna setup. I’ve got a mobula 7 HD that I changed the dipole antenna on (hit a tree and lost it) to a LHCP stubby ufl that was a fairly big improvement. Lumenier micro AX11 shorty from memory.

Is SMA and RP-SMA independent of LHCP vs RHCP? Also, how would I know if I have a LHCP or RHCP antenna if it is not labeled? Drone in reference is a wizard x220s if anyone knows that antenna off the top of their heads... Thanks!!

Edit: Looks like its RHCP but thanks anyways!

Last edited:
Reactions: MuderFuger
Is SMA and RP-SMA independent of LHCP vs RHCP? Also, how would I know if I have a LHCP or RHCP antenna if it is not labeled? Drone in reference is a wizard x220s if anyone knows that antenna off the top of their heads... Thanks!!
Yes, SMA and RP-SMA are independent of left hand or right hand circular polarization
SMA is a coaxial connector type, and SMA wil have the pin on the peripheral side (antenna in this case) and an RP-SMA (reverse polarity) will have the pin on the equipment side (quad in this case)
Circular polarization is just one type of antenna, others we use in this hobby include Dipoles and Monopoles and Loops, but in order to "reject" half power inverted waves that bounce off of every physical thing around us (multipathing), we use circular polarized because it naturally rejects the inverted wave. When we fly together or in race environments staggering the circulation (right, left, right, left etc) we much more significantly improve the quality at the vRX.

About the X220S, it is most likely a RP-SMA Dipole it comes with out of the box, I would need a picture to be sure if they have upped their game to a circular, but I can almost guarantee it will be RP-SMA cause they be like that LOL

Yes, SMA and RP-SMA are independent of left hand or right hand circular polarization
SMA is a coaxial connector type, and SMA wil have the pin on the peripheral side (antenna in this case) and an RP-SMA (reverse polarity) will have the pin on the equipment side (quad in this case)
Circular polarization is just one type of antenna, others we use in this hobby include Dipoles and Monopoles and Loops, but in order to "reject" half power inverted waves that bounce off of every physical thing around us (multipathing), we use circular polarized because it naturally rejects the inverted wave. When we fly together or in race environments staggering the circulation (right, left, right, left etc) we much more significantly improve the quality at the vRX.

About the X220S, it is most likely a RP-SMA Dipole it comes with out of the box, I would need a picture to be sure if they have upped their game to a circular, but I can almost guarantee it will be RP-SMA cause they be like that LOL

Gotcha, thank you for all the info! Pretty sure they upgraded their antenna to a circular RHCP one (according to the spare part they have on banggood for the antenna) but I bet it was not always circular. Thanks again and happy flying!

Hello...Are you getting lines across the feed? Does the signal break up (snow) as you go out further? Does the signal flicker?
What power output are you using on the VTX? What’s the flying environment like?
If your VTX uses a pigtail from the VTX to the antenna, have you changed it? They wear out.
All these things affect analogue signal quality. As noted a digital system like the DJI will produce amazing HD feeds but not cheaply!

bittele

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput