Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

low range/rssi taranis q7 :-(

Kranus

Reaction score
Hello, a week ago I started the adventure with FPV drones. After reviewing many reviews, I purchased taranis q7 and holybro kopis 2.
Everything works great. However, I am very disappointed with the drone's range. After crossing 200/300 meters, rssi is around 50.
Watching a lot of movies on yt, I noticed that people on similar equipment fly calmly for 1 kilometer without any problem.

How can I check what is the reason? Or is this normal?
I am sorry for my English language, I am still learning.

Hello, a week ago I started the adventure with FPV drones. After reviewing many reviews, I purchased taranis q7 and holybro kopis 2.
Everything works great. However, I am very disappointed with the drone's range. After crossing 200/300 meters, rssi is around 50.
Watching a lot of movies on yt, I noticed that people on similar equipment fly calmly for 1 kilometer without any problem.

How can I check what is the reason? Or is this normal?
I am sorry for my English language, I am still learning.
Hello @Kranus, welcome to the forum!
Just as a reference, 1km is over half a mile, and that is a very far distance no matter what on 2.4GHz, very few people can fly that far without issues and possibly losing the quad when it goes down, and very few of us have that kind of area where we can go that far.

Sometimes you need to take a closer look at those videos to see if they are in an urban area, or in the country. Are they clean line of sight, or are there trees and buildings in the way. Can you post a link to one of these videos? I would love to see these people that go over a half mile with zero issues, I think there is more here than meets the eye.

There could be RF noise issues in the area that could cause your RSSI to drop and RSSI is actually a pretty bad indicator of signal quality, but it is all we have with most systems.
I routinely get 50's and 40's on my RSSI and never a failsafe. You may be worrying too much.

IMHO

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. Sure, you are right that I worry too much about rssi, but I read a lot that 45 rssi is already a very bad result.
I don't need to fly that far, but I would like to safely fly away ~ 300/400 meters thats all.
And when I saw these movies I thought a kilometer was a normal thing

And sorry for this " people on similar equipment fly calmly for 1 kilometer without any problem. "
They got problems, anyway they reach ~~1km

Yes you can fly those sort of distances with the right set up and flying environment. I have an armattan chameleon ti 6”/Taranis QX7S that with a suitable battery gets close to that before I chicken out waiting for a failsafe. Only did it the one time in an area where I could retrieve it if I had to. I also have a modified DJI phantom that can fly nearly 6 times that distance, film at 4K and come back to me without any concerns. Different quads for different uses.
In the real world, for most of us that can’t travel to the big open interference free areas, a couple of hundred mtrs is fine, I regularly have my rssi drop to 40-50 with no failsafes due to the area where I fly. My video feed is my guide as it drops out long before loss of control.
You’ve got yourself a quad that on 800mW should perform well in a wide open area, if that is your thing. Flying in suburbia will be a different experience.

Yes it is possible to go perhaps 2.5 miles in the right environment and with all your pieces working optimally, but it is not the norm. Also keep in mind, you see they have some issues, and these are the videos they choose to publish, they rarely show you the ones where they totally screwed up and lost the quad. Speaking of the Phantom, I have a P4P+ and routinely go out about 6 miles with it and could go further, but my ca-hone's are not big enough! When it comes to racing and freestyle quads I don't need, nor do I want to, go beyond about a 1/4 mile. These days I fly no further than I want to walk to search for and get the quad, if I can find it at all.

Yes it is possible to go perhaps 2.5 miles in the right environment and with all your pieces working optimally, but it is not the norm. Also keep in mind, you see they have some issues, and these are the videos they choose to publish, they rarely show you the ones where they totally screwed up and lost the quad. Speaking of the Phantom, I have a P4P+ and routinely go out about 6 miles with it and could go further, but my ca-hone's are not big enough! When it comes to racing and freestyle quads I don't need, nor do I want to, go beyond about a 1/4 mile. These days I fly no further than I want to walk to search for and get the quad, if I can find it at all.
Actually a very good point regarding the amount of tears and heartbreak leading up to that one video which is confirmation bias in ‘that it can be done’ effort. I’ve lost two quads through my own stupidity in trying to prove a point that doesn’t exist.
Whilst waiting for parts for another ‘man down’ event, I picked up a Super Cub S rc plane that I took out yesterday and had a ball. A range of about 70 mtrs and the speed of an encroaching glacier, it was a lot of fun, easy to fly and inoffensive to people walking by. Distance used to be my thing, these days I’m happy to bring it all home in one piece!

Totally agree with you on the distance when it comes to freestyle quads. I have a T8sg Lite and was able to fly out 400m plus with no issues. I just purchased a 2 watt booster and it seems to work however it gets really hot. The antenna that came with it alone makes the range much better. My question is that if it really is 2 watts, does that mean 1km should be no problem?

Should work for your transmitter. (Taranis)

Actually a very good point regarding the amount of tears and heartbreak leading up to that one video which is confirmation bias in ‘that it can be done’ effort. I’ve lost two quads through my own stupidity in trying to prove a point that doesn’t exist.
Whilst waiting for parts for another ‘man down’ event, I picked up a Super Cub S rc plane that I took out yesterday and had a ball. A range of about 70 mtrs and the speed of an encroaching glacier, it was a lot of fun, easy to fly and inoffensive to people walking by. Distance used to be my thing, these days I’m happy to bring it all home in one piece!
LOLOLOL!!! I hear ya buddy, it ain't got to be the fastest to be a ton of fun!
ok thanks for help, i just thought my equipment was broken

Reactions: HighTechPauper
ok thanks for help, i just thought my equipment was broken
It doesn't sound broken, and it doesn't sound like you actually had a failsafe, but post a pic of your control link antenna(s) mounting on the quad so we can see if it could be improved possibly.
Power lines shouldn't cause you any problem to speak of, but it is possible for them to make a noisy environment that your radio has to compete in.
If you really want to know where your range stands, do a little test, just fly straight out pretty low and slow and see when you actually failsafe and drop gently to the grass. I do this type of test quite often at new locations to check video and control before I do any high speed flying in the area.

Reactions: Kranus
It doesn't sound broken, and it doesn't sound like you actually had a failsafe, but post a pic of your control link antenna(s) mounting on the quad so we can see if it could be improved possibly.
Power lines shouldn't cause you any problem to speak of, but it is possible for them to make a noisy environment that your radio has to compete in.
If you really want to know where your range stands, do a little test, just fly straight out pretty low and slow and see when you actually failsafe and drop gently to the grass. I do this type of test quite often at new locations to check video and control before I do any high speed flying in the area.
photo_2019-09-08_19-12-45.jpg

Got rid of all my long range stuff .. Not needed as you have a sick stomach watching 500 euro drone and 1000 euro drone going out of sight in the hope of seeing something you can drive to .. Stay close / stay fast / keep soldering !:}

Got rid of all my long range stuff .. Not needed as you have a sick stomach watching 500 euro drone and 1000 euro drone going out of sight in the hope of seeing something you can drive to .. Stay close / stay fast / keep soldering !:}
Haha thats true, you convinced me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax