Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Line of sight drone drills to get better at fpv?

Reaction score
Hey guys so I've kinda been into drones for a couple of years and have a Blade nano qx and a hubsan x4. I haven't flown them in like two years but ya know. Any ways I'd like to get into fpv and so i got a simulator that i'm using an old ps3 controller with (which is less than ideal i plan on getting an actual controller) but anyways I was wondering since neither of my drones have fpv are there any "drills" I can do that would help prepare me for fpv in the future aside from just flying normally which again what can I do to get better at flying normally fpv aside? And lastly I know this isn't in the title but if you dont mind what transmitter can I get under $50 that wont be a waste but will let me get better on liftoff?

Not sure if this helps or I fully understand your question but I’ll have a crack. If you already have the liftoff sim, you could look at getting a Flysky i6 controller that with the separately purchased ($15-20) USB/cabling can be set up within the sim. The controller should be had for around $50 new and cheaper if you look for second hand stuff. The sim will only get you so far as will your other existing quads but it might be worth moving up to a wizard x220 that is matched to your Flysky controller for quite a reasonable freestyle and fpv experience.
We are now talking about goggles so you can fly fpv and we are getting a bit out of financial control. My advice would be to get something like the wizard x220 package which will get you started for a very reasonable cost and be done with it. I paid AUD $350 for the quad, controller and goggles but recently bought my third one for AUD$100. Right place, right time. Maybe not the answer you’re after but you may end up getting frustrated and burning way more cash going about it the long way and chucking it all in.

Not sure if this helps or I fully understand your question but I’ll have a crack. If you already have the liftoff sim, you could look at getting a Flysky i6 controller that with the separately purchased ($15-20) USB/cabling can be set up within the sim. The controller should be had for around $50 new and cheaper if you look for second hand stuff. The sim will only get you so far as will your other existing quads but it might be worth moving up to a wizard x220 that is matched to your Flysky controller for quite a reasonable freestyle and fpv experience.
We are now talking about goggles so you can fly fpv and we are getting a bit out of financial control. My advice would be to get something like the wizard x220 package which will get you started for a very reasonable cost and be done with it. I paid AUD $350 for the quad, controller and goggles but recently bought my third one for AUD$100. Right place, right time. Maybe not the answer you’re after but you may end up getting frustrated and burning way more cash going about it the long way and chucking it all in.

Yeah you're right not quite what I was looking for but still appreciated and i do think I'm going to take that route. I've been looking at the flysky and I think I'm gonna pick one of them up and use the simulator and then at some point I'll get a drone. Do you have any drills though, really I just want to get better at flying in general, like be able to do flips and have more control over my current quads line of sight. Do you have any ideas on how to do that?

Ive flown helis for years line of sight and taught others. My class, do each step until your 100% comfortable and can maintain 5' altitude.
1. keep it nose out in front of you and fly left 15 feet then right 15 feet. keep it close and low 5' alt at most. yaw to stay nose out.
2. still keeping nose out, slowly hover in a circle around you as you turn . do this both directions
3. back to step one but now start turning in the direction of flight. Yaw on both left and right ends to slowly start facing the direction your going but turn the nose away not toward you yet.
4. hover in front of you about 15' and yaw 360.. fast but controlled. don't slam sticks. keep doing this first clockwise then counter in succession. go slower and slower.
5. same as 4 but start pausing nose in just a bit...add longer pauses till your hovering nose in longer and longer. your bale out is allows yaw nose out and catch it. (5' up.. you can disarm as well .. not something we could do with helis lol)
6. back to step one but now actually fly a small figure 8. turn away from yourself but have it flying nose in coming back to you. try small slow circles on each end as you get better.

after that its all fun.. the trick if you've never flown LOS is how backwards controls seem flying nose in. Always do these exercises slow, close and controlled until you get it in hand 100%
I use LOS for maiden and testing flights. Its good to learn.
edit: I don't know how exactly to explain this next bit but I actually put my mind in the machine, Im actually thinking as if I was in it. I don't think left or right to me, I think from the perspective of the machine. this takes practice but I believe its key and once you get it you can hover a heli upside down nose in or bring it back nose in from 100yrd away.

last but most important, you gotta fly it. don't wait and react.. stay ahead of its movement in control. if you wait to react to what it does, you'll get behind at the controls. I do very small roll pitch moves constantly, It stays in one spot hovering where I want it. ALL THE ABOVE assumes you can hover.

Last edited:
Ive flown helis for years line of sight and taught others. My class, do each step until your 100% comfortable and can maintain 5' altitude.
1. keep it nose out in front of you and fly left 15 feet then right 15 feet. keep it close and low 5' alt at most. yaw to stay nose out.
2. still keeping nose out, slowly hover in a circle around you as you turn . do this both directions
3. back to step one but now start turning in the direction of flight. Yaw on both left and right ends to slowly start facing the direction your going but turn the nose away not toward you yet.
4. hover in front of you about 15' and yaw 360.. fast but controlled. don't slam sticks. keep doing this first clockwise then counter in succession. go slower and slower.
5. same as 4 but start pausing nose in just a bit...add longer pauses till your hovering nose in longer and longer. your bale out is allows yaw nose out and catch it. (5' up.. you can disarm as well .. not something we could do with helis lol)
6. back to step one but now actually fly a small figure 8. turn away from yourself but have it flying nose in coming back to you. try small slow circles on each end as you get better.

after that its all fun.. the trick if you've never flown LOS is how backwards controls seem flying nose in. Always do these exercises slow, close and controlled until you get it in hand 100%
I use LOS for maiden and testing flights. Its good to learn.
edit: I don't know how exactly to explain this next bit but I actually put my mind in the machine, Im actually thinking as if I was in it. I don't think left or right to me, I think from the perspective of the machine. this takes practice but I believe its key and once you get it you can hover a heli upside down nose in or bring it back nose in from 100yrd away.

last but most important, you gotta fly it. don't wait and react.. stay ahead of its movement in control. if you wait to react to what it does, you'll get behind at the controls. I do very small roll pitch moves constantly, It stays in one spot hovering where I want it. ALL THE ABOVE assumes you can hover.

Thanks for the in depth response, most helpful so far. Not that the others weren't good just not what I was looking for so thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas