Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Lhi racing drone from Amazon

@tom mackey, sorry buddy, I was not making fun of you at all, more making fun of this hobby that can be so **** difficult at times.
We want nothing more than to see you get airborne and fall in love with this hobby we care so deeply for, and those bastards couldn't even add a friggin USB cable, that's why I was joking that the cardboard box it came in is usually all you get. Believe me when I say this hobby is like a waiter that brings you your soup, but never brings you the spoon to eat it with.

Again, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so snide. We surely know where you're coming from and I couldn't help but laugh at the hurdles we have to overcome to just go learn to fly.

Where are you at in the world, if you have an iPhone maybe we could do a facetime and chat to try and get some of the basics answered quickly.
I'm in the UK.. so this morning was a shock to see that message but all is good just bit taken back when all I asked for was help.. I didn't even get a battery with the drone so looking in to which one it needed took a while to sort out but got that now.. so yeah no usb cable.. bit **** really.. how long you been into this hobby?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hey, Tom. Try this site. It teaches you basic components that make up the build of the drone. They also have YouTube videos that take you step-by-step to even build your own drone from scratch. They're pretty thorough in educating people who are new to the hobby. It will take time to learn and absorb knowledge about every aspect to the racing drone world. So don't try to learn it overnight. We can all help you as much as we can - eventually you will get used to the terminologies and workings of these beasts. Here's the link:

Drone Racing Guide - The Ultimate FPV Quadcopter Resource - Propwashed
So much to read and learn thanks for the link.. can't wait to take it out for its first flight

Reactions: VirtueViolater
I'm in the UK.. so this morning was a shock to see that message but all is good just bit taken back when all I asked for was help.. I didn't even get a battery with the drone so looking in to which one it needed took a while to sort out but got that now.. so yeah no usb cable.. bit **** really.. how long you been into this hobby?

Hi Tom,
I have only been in this hobby for 6 months or so, and I have a bit of an advantage over most because of my background and career over the last 40+ years. So since I have a reasonable handle on most things about this hobby except for the actual flying part (Lol) I was urged by a friend of ours on this forum (shout out to our travelling brother Jtrjr) to give back and help where I could. In turn he gave me the best piece of advice I have ever been given in this hobby... he said "you got the rest of this, stop modding, and go fly more". So that's what I try to do the best I can, and I was just laughing at this "a la carte" hobby.
Cheers,
Randy

Hi Tom,
I have only been in this hobby for 6 months or so, and I have a bit of an advantage over most because of my background and career over the last 40+ years. So since I have a reasonable handle on most things about this hobby except for the actual flying part (Lol) I was urged by a friend of ours on this forum (shout out to our travelling brother Jtrjr) to give back and help where I could. In turn he gave me the best piece of advice I have ever been given in this hobby... he said "you got the rest of this, stop modding, and go fly more". So that's what I try to do the best I can, and I was just laughing at this "a la carte" hobby.
Cheers,
Randy
Great advice thank you..
im in the UK so weather **** atm..
If you don't mind me asking what is your background?
I think I'll test fly it soon and just fly line of sight, and once I've got the hang of it.. I'll ask you for advice with fpv, if you don't mind

Reactions: Wayno52
Hi Tom,

This is kind of the big highlights version...

Started out in 1979 at the age of 19 in the USMC doing Deceptive Electronic Countermeasures including crypto to the board level, Comm Jammers, and early warning of attack systems that would deceive enemy weapons control radars, or deploy chaff or flares to fool heat seekers or radar guided missiles. My bird was the Grumman EA6B Prowler, VMAQ-2, 2nd MAW, and I got to work on mechanical, electrical, electronic and software components during that time and was fortunate enough to qualify for Advanced Miniature and Micro Miniature Component Repair training, which is a fancy name for advanced soldering to Mil Spec. It was a good time and I learned a lot.

When I got out of the Corp I went to work for a little company called TTC. We were at the right place, at the right time, with the right ideas and products, to be a big player in the global telecom and services business boom starting in the mid 80's. We developed a product line called a "T-Berd" (for T-Carrier Bit Error Rate Detector) and it was, and still is, a big hit in the industry. That was 35 years ago and the product lines and the solutions we provide to test and troubleshoot the global infrastructure communications fabric have been imitated by many others over the years and the competition is fierce now. But the T-Berd is a legend within every AT&T Verizon Comcast Orange BT Saudi Telecom TelMex... etc., not to mention every A-Z company like Avon Cosmetics to ZTE for instance. We test everything except Satellite uplink downlink stuff, and we even used to do that way back in the day (sat delay and echo simulators) but not anymore. The company name has evolved over the years through acquisitions, and we do a lot more now than just Telecomm. but if you had to say what we do in my side of the company it's "we help make your Internet, mobile and cable services work".

I am 57 now and have been semi retired for a few years, but I have been providing training on Cisco and Acano Telepresence systems to keep up with the latest in switch and router techniques like NFV and SDN for instance, and I have made a living all this time simply designing, installing, troubleshooting and/or training on one technology or another.

Over the years this has all allowed me to work with everything from RF amplifiers and radio wave propagation (like the Control link and vTX links in our quads need) to logic circuits and motor controls (like our FC/ESC/Motor combinations function), and the list goes on for a bit. In the long run I don't know much, but I know enough to figure most things out, and it has set me up well to be in this hobby.

I would do anything I can to help make you successful in the air, so If I can ever help you just let me know, but remember i'm pretty new to quads too so I still have a lot to learn about the nuances of all this. People like Virtue Violator, theGreenOrange, Jtrjr, and my buddy Wayno52 are great resources and helped me get started in record time when I first got started, and I'm sure they will chime in when they can, and keep me honest.

Best regards, and Cheers!
Randy

Hi Tom,

Started out in 1979 at the age of 19 in the USMC doing Deceptive Electronic Countermeasures including crypto to the board level, Comm Jammers, and early warning of attack systems that would deceive enemy weapons control radars, or deploy chaff or flares to fool heat seekers or radar guided missiles. My bird was the Grumman EA6B Prowler, VMAQ-2, 2nd MAW, and I got to work on mechanical, electrical, electronic and software components during that time and was fortunate enough to qualify for Advanced Miniature and Micro Miniature Component Repair training, which is a fancy name for advanced soldering to Mil Spec. It was a good time and I learned a lot.

When I got out of the Corp I went to work for a little company called TTC. We were at the right place, at the right time, with the right ideas and products, to be a big player in the global telecom and services business boom starting in the mid 80's. We developed a product line called a "T-Berd" (for T-Carrier Bit Error Rate Detector) and it was, and still is, a big hit in the industry. That was 35 years ago and the product lines and the solutions we provide to test and troubleshoot the global infrastructure communications fabric have been imitated by many others over the years and the competition is fierce now. But the T-Berd is a legend within every AT&T Verizon Comcast Orange BT Saudi Telecom TelMex... etc., not to mention every A-Z company like Avon Cosmetics to ZTE for instance. We test everything except Satellite uplink downlink stuff, and we even used to do that way back in the day (sat delay and echo simulators) but not anymore. The company name has evolved over the years through acquisitions, and we do a lot more now than just Telecomm. but if you had to say what we do in my side of the company it's "we help make your Internet, mobile and cable services work".

I am 57 now and have been semi retired for a few years, but I have been providing training on Cisco and Acano Telepresence systems to keep up with the latest in switch and router techniques like NFV and SDN for instance, and I have made a living all this time simply designing, installing, troubleshooting and/or training on one technology or another.

Over the years this has all allowed me to work with everything from RF amplifiers and radio wave propagation (like the Control link and vTX links in our quads need) to logic circuits and motor controls (like our FC/ESC/Motor combinations function), and the list goes on for a bit. In the long run I don't know much, but I know enough to figure most things out, and it has set me up well to be in this hobby.

I would do anything I can to help make you successful in the air, so If I can ever help you just let me know, but remember i'm pretty new to quads too so I still have a lot to learn about the nuances of all this. People like Virtue Violator, theGreenOrange, Jtrjr, and my buddy Wayno52 are great resources and helped me get started in record time when I first got started, and I'm sure they will chime in when they can, and keep me honest.

Randy
Wow is all I can say.. thank you for sharing

Tom

Wow is all I can say.. thank you for sharing

Tom

Also.. I can let you know I tested my drone out in my garden, basically I took it slow powered on and every time I gave it more power it tilted left, so I moved from the grass to the patio, which then I tried again and this time it flipped over and snapped a prop off.. think I'll find a USB cable to buy online and plug it into my computer lol

Also.. I can let you know I tested my drone out in my garden, basically I took it slow powered on and every time I gave it more power it tilted left, so I moved from the grass to the patio, which then I tried again and this time it flipped over and snapped a prop off.. think I'll find a USB cable to buy online and plug it into my computer lol

That should be your next move, sounds like your FC orientation may not be set up right, it will cause the quad to "flip out" when you go to give it throttle. I always do a little lean test with just the right stick to make sure it responds properly before I take off. Below is a vid of it. I give about 1/4 to 1/3 right stick left/right/back/forward to have it lift slightly in the correct direction so I know orientation is correct.

That should be your next move, sounds like your FC orientation may not be set up right, it will cause the quad to "flip out" when you go to give it throttle. I always do a little lean test with just the right stick to make sure it responds properly before I take off. Below is a vid of it. I give about 1/4 to 1/3 right stick left/right/back/forward to have it lift slightly in the correct direction so I know orientation is correct.

Ok I'll try that next time I give it a test flight thanks for the tip

So booted my old laptop up, as I found a usb which fits into my drone and **** my computer is slow.. I can see this taking ages to work but I'm determined to get it going lol

What operating system is your laptop running? Can't be that old if you have USB, unless it's USB 1.0 type port. Should be able to connect.
It's windows XP.. I've just done a system reboot.. so were see if this works

It's windows XP.. I've just done a system reboot.. so were see if this works

Wow, yeah dude. Microsoft isn't supporting XP anymore. I would invest in a more current PC laptop. They're cheaper these days and you can get a decent one, even a slightly used Windows 7 one from eBay will be useful.

XP could likely work, did you try the Zadig driver fixer below the 2 other links if all else failed?

Wow, yeah dude. Microsoft isn't supporting XP anymore. I would invest in a more current PC laptop. They're cheaper these days and you can get a decent one, even a slightly used Windows 7 one from eBay will be useful.
Ah man really.. so my windows XP can't be fixed? Yeah might have to look into a new one lol

Yeah, sorry but it's been a while since MS stopped supporting XP. But if you can find the drivers Randy suggests, you can try and see if those work. I would recommend finding a Win 7 or higher system, with 64-bit operating system. You can find good conditioned used ones on eBay or Amazon. I've had much success on HP ones, reliable for several years and not bad built-in audio speaker system. Just my recommendation from my experiences with them.

Hi Tom,

Randy
Good afternoon.. I know it's been awhile since our chat but thought I'll update you guys.. So after a long wait in finding out how to get the open pilot, I've finally sorted it all out and the next day I have free I'm doing a test flight. By the looks of things the openpilot has a lot of things you can do to your drone.. any tips? Also someone mentioned to have the switch on the top as a safety arming switch.. can't see how I can have two arming switches. So help with that would be much appreciated
Thanks

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Hey Tom, don’t know anything about openPilot so can’t make any suggestions other than it should fly ok with stock settings and you shouldn’t change things until you can fly a little and decide what may need changing. Also when you set arm to a switch the throttle Dow and right will no longer work. The throttle commands are only active if nothing else has been set up, so you wouldn’t have 2 arming methods... I don’t think anyway.

Reactions: tom mackey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput