Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Just tried out a new whoop build

• Thread starter Deleted member 3641
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3641

Finally had a day with lower winds so I could check out my latest build whoop. It flies pretty decent on a 3s pack. Don't have any 4s packs to try but think it would have more zip. With just casual flying (not ripping it) I am getting great flight times. My last flight was just under 9 minutes on a 3s 600 mAh pack.

Parts used:
85mm CineCan Whoop Frame
BetaFPV F4 2-4S AIO Brushless Flight Controller 12A
HappyModel 1103 KV6000 Motors
Gemfan Hulkie 2040 Durable Tri-Blade 2" Props
RunCam Split 3 Nano Whoop Version (1080p 60fps)
TBS Unify Pro 32 Nano Video Transmitter with Stock Antenna
FRSky R-XSR Receiver
Mobula Canopy (modified to fit the RunCam)
Hyperion G7 3S 600mAh Si-Graphene HvLi 60C Battery
It weighs in at 50 Grams w/o Battery

85mm.png

EDIT: The grass was just cut and was damp thus the green all over it...

For a moment it looked like my trashcan but since it’s not on fire and in one piece, can’t be. You’ve got some quality parts in your build, upgraded components that always gave me grief with my happymodel quads. Would you mind sharing the cost of your build or was it a spare parts project?

For a moment it looked like my trashcan but since it’s not on fire and in one piece, can’t be. You’ve got some quality parts in your build, upgraded components that always gave me grief with my happymodel quads. Would you mind sharing the cost of your build or was it a spare parts project?

No spare parts used, all were bought for the build. The parts were bought many months ago but was just now able to work on it due to a recent split with ex which left me starting over in life and about penniless.

I have a GEPRC F4 v1.2 12A AIO Toothpick / Whoop Flight Controller - $37.71 - RDQ, coming now that I would have rather used but wasn't available back then as I have had terrible luck with BETAFPV gear. None of the controller boards have burned, but all but one have had the antenna go out. They even sent me a replacement board that came with a bad antenna. Also had a wire come off one of their motors (not due to crash or mishandling). I am no longer purchasing BETAFPV gear... I also no longer deal with Banggood but they were the only one I could find then that had that frame (and of course took many weeks to arrive even before the virus).

Heres the list:
85mm CineCan Whoop Frame - $4.99 - Banggood (hurry up and wait)
BetaFPV F4 2-4S AIO Brushless Flight Controller 12A V3 - $39.99 - RDQ
HappyModel 1103 KV6000 Motors - $36.99 set of 4 - Ebay
Gemfan Hulkie 2040 Durable Tri-Blade 2" Props - 8 Pack $2.99 - RDQ
RunCam Split 3 Nano Whoop Version (1080p 60fps) - $69.99 - Ebay
TBS Unify Pro32 Nano 5G8 400mW Video Transmitter with Stock Antenna - $29.95 - GetFPV
FRSky R-XSR Receiver - $19.99 - RDQ
HappyModel Angle Adjustable Whoop Canopy V2 for Mobula7 - $3.49 - RDQ
Hyperion G7 3S 600mAh Si-Graphene HvLi 60C Battery 47 grams - $5.44 ea - hyperion-world.com
50 Grams w/o Battery - Total $208.39 w/o Battery

Its pretty much my version of a CineCan (which did not exist when I ordered the parts) which goes for about $200.00 but with better more reliable parts... EDIT: Just came to mind that the CineCan is 4K and mine is 1080p...

I had to drill new mount holes in the front canopy module so that the RunCam lens did not stick out risking damage and then hot glued the module to the rest of the canopy. The TBS VTX unit is hot glued up inside the canopy as well as the RunCam board.
I will probably keep running it on 3S as the board is rated to 4S hoping for longer life with the extra headroom.

I am working on my first non whoop 85mm using half spare parts and half ordered. Thats what I am going to use the GEPRC controller board for. Tested it with one of the bad BETAFPV 2S boards and it flies real well so far. Just can't fly it farther than 40 to 50 feet without it dropping signal and falling to the ground DOH.

tp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No spare parts used, all were bought for the build. The parts were bought many months ago but was just now able to work on it due to a recent split with ex which left me starting over in life and about penniless.

I have a GEPRC F4 v1.2 12A AIO Toothpick / Whoop Flight Controller - $37.71 - RDQ, coming now that I would have rather used but wasn't available back then as I have had terrible luck with BETAFPV gear. None of the controller boards have burned, but all but one have had the antenna go out. They even sent me a replacement board that came with a bad antenna. Also had a wire come off one of their motors (not due to crash or mishandling). I am no longer purchasing BETAFPV gear... I also no longer deal with Banggood but they were the only one I could find then that had that frame (and of course took many weeks to arrive even before the virus).

Heres the list:
85mm CineCan Whoop Frame - $4.99 - Banggood (hurry up and wait)
BetaFPV F4 2-4S AIO Brushless Flight Controller 12A V3 - $39.99 - RDQ
HappyModel 1103 KV6000 Motors - $36.99 set of 4 - Ebay
Gemfan Hulkie 2040 Durable Tri-Blade 2" Props - 8 Pack $2.99 - RDQ
RunCam Split 3 Nano Whoop Version (1080p 60fps) - $69.99 - Ebay
TBS Unify Pro32 Nano 5G8 400mW Video Transmitter with Stock Antenna - $29.95 - GetFPV
FRSky R-XSR Receiver - $19.99 - RDQ
HappyModel Angle Adjustable Whoop Canopy V2 for Mobula7 - $3.49 - RDQ
Hyperion G7 3S 600mAh Si-Graphene HvLi 60C Battery 47 grams - $5.44 ea - hyperion-world.com
50 Grams w/o Battery - Total $208.39 w/o Battery

Its pretty much my version of a CineCan (which did not exist when I ordered the parts) which goes for about $200.00 but with better more reliable parts... EDIT: Just came to mind that the CineCan is 4K and mine is 1080p...

I had to drill new mount holes in the front canopy module so that the RunCam lens did not stick out risking damage and then hot glued the module to the rest of the canopy. The TBS VTX unit is hot glued up inside the canopy as well as the RunCam board.
I will probably keep running it on 3S as the board is rated to 4S hoping for longer life with the extra headroom.

I am working on my first non whoop 85mm using half spare parts and half ordered. Thats what I am going to use the GEPRC controller board for. Tested it with one of the bad BETAFPV 2S boards and it flies real well so far. Just can't fly it farther than 40 to 50 feet without it dropping signal and falling to the ground DOH.

View attachment 4314
Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciate the build list. Since most of my gear is sub 3” these days (laws, registration etc) I’ve been looking at something like yours. I’ve got a couple of hybrid 2” quads made up of left over non fried parts that are reasonable but not reliable. Our problem over here is that there are fewer and fewer parts available due to supply issues and overseas shipping is a waste of time. Hoping that when the world returns to normal I’ll sit down and put together a list like yours and start a build.
As for starting over again, did the same a number of years ago and drones were part of the rebuilding process (no pun intended).

For a moment it looked like my trashcan but since it’s not on fire and in one piece, can’t be.
After thinking about it, my favorite flyer is pretty much a TrashCan. Its a TrashCan 75mm frame with Happymodel EX1102 - kv13500 motors. It has a BETAFPV 1-2s FC with built in FrSky RX. The VTX is a Happymodel Diamond with the built in DVR (720p). A Mobula canopy with a Caddix EOS2 camera tops it off. It has crashed so many times but never burned... I've had more flights with this one than than most all my others put together and its still going strong.
EDIT: Just came to me that it is actually a Mobula frame. Very little difference from the TrashCan frame though if not the same.

BetaWhoop.png

This was taken with it trying some of my first loops and rolls. Still have a ways to go...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tevek
After thinking about it, my favorite flyer is pretty much a TrashCan. Its a TrashCan 75mm frame with Happymodel EX1102 - kv13500 motors. It has a BETAFPV 1-2s FC with built in FrSky RX. The VTX is a Happymodel Diamond with the built in DVR (720p). A Mobula canopy with a Caddix EOS2 camera tops it off. It has crashed so many times but never burned... I've had more flights with this one than than most all my others put together and its still going strong.
EDIT: Just came to me that it is actually a Mobula frame. Very little difference from the TrashCan frame though if not the same.

View attachment 4370

This was taken with it trying some of my first loops and rolls. Still have a ways to go...

Looking good, you might want to rename your quad Mobzilla. No failsafes/desyncs and it flies like a good 3” quad. And you’ve got a nice yard to fly in, no Covid19 issues for you!

Looking good, you might want to rename your quad Mobzilla. No failsafes/desyncs and it flies like a good 3” quad. And you’ve got a nice yard to fly in, no Covid19 issues for you!
Mobzilla is a good one.?

It has gone through many changes since its start with parts being bought to replace some. Originally I bought a frame and used mostly spare parts and back then it was called FrankenStanley...
I really like the way it flies and is so small and quiet I can fly it pretty much anywhere without bothering anybody. They picture it as a toy and not a drone...

I no longer have that yard to fly in as it is my sisters place in Illinois and was phase one of starting over. I am now in phase two and back in Tennessee in temporary living space number two. Still have a descent place to fly but in much nicer surroundings. Could even fly my Mavic 2 Pro around here without problems and no NFZ's for many miles.
This is from a few days ago.

This is my new surroundings taken with my M2Pro.
DJI_0509.jpg

DJI_0510.jpg

DJI_0511.jpg

DJI_0512.jpg

Tennessee hasn't been locked down as much as other places. I left Illinois on May 1st where they had just started mandatory face masks to be in public and arrived in Tennessee later that day and we went into a restaurant and sat down to eat. Most everything is open to some degree here now.
What really gets me is cancer, diabetes, and heart problems (most all from what we eat and drink as well as lifestyle) is killing more people than this virus is, yet they are not saying or doing anything about those. Sick people create trillions of dollars of profit, and the ones profiting are the ones who are really in charge...

Stay safe and hopefully your freedoms will be restored soon.

Mobzilla is a good one.?

It has gone through many changes since its start with parts being bought to replace some. Originally I bought a frame and used mostly spare parts and back then it was called FrankenStanley...
I really like the way it flies and is so small and quiet I can fly it pretty much anywhere without bothering anybody. They picture it as a toy and not a drone...

I no longer have that yard to fly in as it is my sisters place in Illinois and was phase one of starting over. I am now in phase two and back in Tennessee in temporary living space number two. Still have a descent place to fly but in much nicer surroundings. Could even fly my Mavic 2 Pro around here without problems and no NFZ's for many miles.
This is from a few days ago.

This is my new surroundings taken with my M2Pro.
View attachment 4373

View attachment 4374

View attachment 4375

View attachment 4376

Tennessee hasn't been locked down as much as other places. I left Illinois on May 1st where they had just started mandatory face masks to be in public and arrived in Tennessee later that day and we went into a restaurant and sat down to eat. Most everything is open to some degree here now.
What really gets me is cancer, diabetes, and heart problems (most all from what we eat and drink as well as lifestyle) is killing more people than this virus is, yet they are not saying or doing anything about those. Sick people create trillions of dollars of profit, and the ones profiting are the ones who are really in charge...

Stay safe and hopefully your freedoms will be restored soon.
Gees that's a nice place to fly, similar to some of the areas north of where I am. Still negotiating with the potato farmer up the road to use his property, he thinks i'm kind of weird flying drones (especially at my age), but apparently one of my neighbours told him I was ok and a local so maybe next time i'm home... Amazing how neat it is to fly one of these quads, its a solo thing and gives you a lot of satisfaction just getting your skill set in the one place. I get to fly at work each day and it's clearly the highlight of my day, some of the blokes drop by to see what's going on and think it's pretty cool to see some bloke with a pair of goggles pulling faces as he is trying to negotiate some gap amongst the machinery.
As for the Covid19 pandemic, currently watching the goings on in Minnesota with the riots and elsewhere and wondering what on earth is going on. The media are having a field day with it calling it the end of days of the USA. You're right with the focus being on the number of Covid deaths and not the even greater numbers dying of the flu, cancer, heart issues etc each year. Thankfully over here, we never have the sort of street violence on that scale that we are currently seeing and I suspect that given the economy over here, there will be a seismic shift in the way we get on with business and indeed our lives. People have become a lot more patriotic, concerned on our reliance with overseas goods and generally looking to see how we can do better as a country. We have lost 103 people to the virus, seen a massive drop in cases of the flu, colds and other typical respiratory ailments due to the lockdown and the hospitals are essentially empty.
Anyway enough of the commentary, you're all over your flying and i'm waiting another 2.5 hrs before I can have my turn.
Stay safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax