Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Is all this OK?

Thanks guys. Very overwelming with this info and feeling very dumb at the moment.
HighTech, I get what you're saying about spending more on things like chargers, and probably goggles too I guess. Thng is, I would like to sorta get my feet wet, get a feel for the racing drone world and see what I think of it. If I fall in love, I'm all in, but if I decide it's not for me, then I haven't spent like $800 - $1,000 on something I don't want to use. The controller you suggested is no issue, or anything else that's been suggested here in fact. I would like to buy fat shark goggles but I won't because they're over $500 and again, like I said earlier. This is why I have opted for the cheap goggles.

Understand completely Solly :)

I've started to do some reading about the whole hobby so I can get a better understanding of all the parts and the different combinations etc. Although I don't get much time for that during the week (wake up at 3am and off to work by 4 lol), I will hold off maybe a week on buying anything so I can do abit of reading I reckon.
BTW HighTech, thanks for the controller recommendation (QX7), I just read that this supports simulator mode which I might check out. Might be a good idea to get some flying through a sim first, yes?

I've started to do some reading about the whole hobby so I can get a better understanding of all the parts and the different combinations etc. Although I don't get much time for that during the week (wake up at 3am and off to work by 4 lol), I will hold off maybe a week on buying anything so I can do abit of reading I reckon.
BTW HighTech, thanks for the controller recommendation (QX7), I just read that this supports simulator mode which I might check out. Might be a good idea to get some flying through a sim first, yes?

A sim has its shortcomings when compared to real flight, but it is a great way to get some comfort with the sticks and to try new things without crashing your drone. Plus it's a good way to get some practice when the weather isn't cooperating to get out and fly the real thing. IMHO

I found the sim extremely helpful to learn acro FPV

built in bec
????

All day at work I've been thinking about what to do. This is my line of thought atm. I am definately getting the P4Pro and really want to get the DJI goggles with it so I can fly FPV as they also control the yaw with the head movement, I think that's really cool. I'm going to get into racing drones and I will be buying all the parts soon, including goggles. What I've been contemplating is whether to get those cheap goggles or go for the fat shark or similar. I guess I can always sell them if things don't turn out.
How much better are the fat shark goggles compared to the cheapies V007 for example? Thoughts?

????

All day at work I've been thinking about what to do. This is my line of thought atm. I am definately getting the P4Pro and really want to get the DJI goggles with it so I can fly FPV as they also control the yaw with the head movement, I think that's really cool. I'm going to get into racing drones and I will be buying all the parts soon, including goggles. What I've been contemplating is whether to get those cheap goggles or go for the fat shark or similar. I guess I can always sell them if things don't turn out.
How much better are the fat shark goggles compared to the cheapies V007 for example? Thoughts?

It's a bit more complicated than "which is better". I use the Eachine Goggles Two and wouldn't trade them for any model of fatsharks if you paid me. The field of view is too small to me. Some people would never use anything other than fatshark. I don't like the brand myself, and would probably get Aomway Commander or Skyzone if I wanted some smaller size ones.

The best choice for you depends on what do you prioritize, you can't really have them all: here are my priorities that led me to the Goggles Two. [Not applicable for me but may be for you, in brackets]

Inter-pupillary distance (I need ~76 mm)
[Diopter adjustment or corrective lenses?]
Field of view
Receiver quality
Comfort
Resolution
Portability

TLDR version, I would get something like VR-007 to start because the dual screen cheap ones are not good. It is also nice to have an extra set later on if you do upgrade, for spectators and testing purposes.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Green is right, Fatsharks are not the do all and be all, they kinda just showed up at the right time and became very popular. The Aomways and Skyzones are well liked by many, and some of the "box" goggles are incredibly good at any price point. One of the big problems with buying goggles is that you really can't try before you buy, unless you're lucky enough to have a hobby shop nearby where you can try some of them first. I have really bad vision and could do with an -8 diopter but they only go to -6, still I find they work ok for me. I also must be a beady eyes as I need the IPD set in as close together as possible and it did take some time to get used to.

Yeah, I got mine from them this year around February or March. They were the same price, so probably not much use in waiting for them to drop. They are a bit hard to find in stock it seems.

30.5x30.5mm Omnibus F4 Flight Controller 2-4S 30A Blheli_S ESC 5.8G 25/100/200mW FPV Transmitter

Would this be a better option to replace the seperate esc, fc and vfd?? If not, I like how the FC has an SD card, although not quite sure if that's only for firmware updates, flight log recording or what?

This is what I've ordered so far. Please tell me if I'm missing anything, although I will add at least one more battery

Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot

I know the PDB and ESC are not available. The PDB is included in the frame I have chosen (I think), so I will just have to choose another esc, preferably from bgood, UNLESS I get the multi board I linked above.

Ah so many choices.

It will take some time to look all this over, one thing I noticed, if you already have some kind of battery and charger (I use an old boat battery and have a car battery charger that I use to charge it back up) you may find this one much more usable. You will likely need a discharge and storage charge functions that the other one doesn't have, and if you have some kind of 12v battery and car battery charger already this clone is about as functional and inexpensive as they come. I see a AUD cost of $26.74 and as cheap as $23.39 if you order it through the Banggood Phone App. Almost everyone has had or still has one of these and many use an old desktop PC or Server 12v power supply to run them as a wall wart doesn't have the current to run it but a reasonable battery does.

iMAX B6 Mini 80W Digital DC Battery Balance Charger XT60 Plug

I thought you were going with XT60 plug, but this comes with a cable for XT60 to T-Plug too, I personally have both XT60 and T-Plug batteries for 2 different quads but I was too new to the hobby to have the original SkyRC IMax B6 or one of these clones, but many have them and keep/use them for goggle batteries and the like once they end up getting a bigger better charger. But in the meantime these work well.

Also, you simply can't go wrong for your first beater quad with a Martian frame, there are 10,000 people flying those frames.

Thanks. If you're willing to looko it all over I will wait before hitting the buy button.

I totally don't get what you said about the battery and charger. Is that item you linked to, I need this because the battery charger I have chosen is missing a feature? If so, I'd rather just get a decent charger. I don't want to stuff around with 12V batteries and chargers if I can avoid it.

I will look that stuff over in just a bit, and post back in a short...

Yes the charger you are looking at is missing a number of highly needed functions...

Most people will need to recharge in the field, they only have so many batteries and each might last 5-8 minutes or so max, so a charger that is AC/DC can be plugged in at home to charge and hooked to your car battery in the field to charge. It is a real pain to go fly for 10-20 minutes lets say, if you had 2 batteries, and then pack up to go home to recharge. It is a lot nicer to have a charger that can go from home to field and extend your flying time. As soon as a battery is cooled off a bit after flight (15 minutes is usually good) then you can throw it on the charger at 2c or 3c and have it ready to go again in 1/2 to 1/3 of the charge time.

If you haven't looked into it yet, you need to brush up on the basics of Lipo batteries. You cannot leave them fully charged and you cannot leave them drained. You need a charger that has a storage function and charges your packs back to 3.8 volts per cell to store them when you will not fly for a few days or more. You need a charger with a storage function.

You also may very well find that you go to fly, crash and break the quad, now you may have 1 or more batteries that are full that need to be discharged down to storage level (~3.8v per cell). You need a charger that can discharge using the storage function (NOT the discharge function) to get it down to that level. The one you have will leave you no way to discharge to storage level a full battery

The least expensive option to do this is below. The charger comes in cheaper from the US warehouse but the shipping is too much and makes it worth getting the free shipping from China.
iMAX B6-AC B6AC Lipo NiMH 3S RC Battery Balance Charger

and a cable to go to XT60 batteries
XT60 Connector to Banana Plug 4mm Battery Connectors Charger Cable

You can always buy the other charger, I am not sure I want to be responsible for telling you otherwise, but in my opinion it is $24 wasted when that money could go to a better charger that would serve your REAL needs whether you know about those needs yet or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax