Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Intro

Speeder

Reaction score
hey guys,
Speeder here ,
Just thought i would try this thread to acquire some knowledge about eminent
Purchase of racing drone (FBV)

Thank you kindly

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome, Speeder! Just start reading through some threads, we're starting to get some pretty good info in here! Need help, just shout out.

Jerry

Welcome to DRP Speeder. :)

Thanks Jerry and Donnie, for welcoming me to your site!
I got some good advice about the best bird to get...I figure I am going to have about 1200.00 into this before I can fly,
However I have really been looking at the dji phantom 4 pro plus... I have raced 1/8 scale on and off road cars for 20 years
Or more so I LOVE SPEED. I Wanted to get a speedy
Bird to help cure that itch but not for so much money...I am clueless....so many choices on amazon and I have so little knowledge it's ridiculous...maybe you guys can help me put together a easy to fly durable bird radio goggle package.
I learned how to fly on a inductrix blade...very small ...very slow... indoors only. Experienced knowledge very welcome.
Thank you kindly
Keith

Welcome...
Id say if you want speed you have the right sport. Any quality racing drone will give you more speed than you can control. I think the dji is a different bird more suited to photography. If your interests are taking vids with long and much slower flights then the dji would suit well. If you want to go fast then a quality racing drone would be the go imo.

Do you already have a transmitter and charger you could use? If so your 1200 buget will get you all the high end gear you need.

Speeder,

Now that I have 6-7 racing drones, here's what I would do if I were starting all over again.

Diatone Crusader GT2 200 (FrSky BNF) $270
FrSky Taranis X9D Plus $209
Fatshark Dominator V3 $359
Fatshark diversity receiver $63
Turnigy Graphene 4S 1300mah $30x5= $150
Battery charger $50
Parallel charging board $15
LIPO Tester $10
Props $20

Assembled ARF Diatone Crusader GT2 200 FPV Racing Drone (PNF) kit

Amazon.com: FrSky Taranis X9D plus 16-channel 2.4ghz ACCST Radio Transmitter (mode 2): Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Fat Shark FSV1063 Dominator V3: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Fat Shark FSV2445 V2 32CH 5.8G Diversity Receiver Race Band for Dominator V1/V2/V3 HD Attitude V3: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Turnigy Graphene 1300mAh 4S 65C Lipo Pack w/XT60: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Genuine SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Dual Power (6Amps,50Watts) LiPo,LiHV,LiIon,LiFe,NiCd,NiMH,Pb Lead Acid AC/DC Professional RC Balancing Battery Charger & Discharger (Version 2) w/ Micro USB Port: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: BW® 2-6S Lipo XT60-Plug Parallel Balanced Charging Plate Charging Board for Imax B6 / B6AC / B8: Toys & Games

Floureon 2 Packs RC Lipo Battery Monitor Alarm Tester Checker Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm with LED Indicator for 1-8S Lipo LiFe LiMn Li-ion Battery - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Rotorland 16 pack of GemFan Master Series 5045BN 3 Blade Props - CodeRed: Toys & Games

That will get you flying with a speedy bird at just about your number. I'm building my own now and will continue to do so but based on everything I have, if I had to start all over again with a pre-assembled bird that's what I'd do. Just my opinion, of course!

Jerry

Reactions: theGreenOrange
Jerry,
I cannot thank you enough for your knowledge and imput.!
I noticed that the bird is back ordered....are there more than one store or website to get parts from?

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Keith/speeder

Keith,

Yes, there are other sources. You can google them. 2dogrc.com is a good, reputable source but he's getting $299 and it's going to be the older boards (I have the older one) and Diatone is putting out a new board. That's the reason they're backordered. Just call the DiatoneUSA number and ask the guy that picks up, he's really helpful. I bought mine from them. You may not be able to get a BNF, you might have to get an ARF and install a FrSky XSR receiver.

Jerry

Jerry knows his stuff, and those are all good suggestions. I would also consider:

Eachine Goggles Two ($160 on banggood) - 1080p with 178degree FOV, my fav at any price
Radiolink AT9S ($140 with receiver) - excellent quality/price
Turnigy nanotech 4S 45C ($20 on hobbyking) - cheaper and 10g lighter than graphene version.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Hi Jerry,
What is the range (safe) for this set up...i would hate to loose signal due to lack of knowledge....

Thank you Kindly
Keith

Thank you
Would this charger replace any of the items that Jerry was so kind to present?

Hi green/orange,
I like the cost of the goggles a lot better...thank you very much for your imput....it is very very helpful!

Keith/speeder

Yes, my suggestions could substitute for the ones Jerry mentioned. Goggles, Radio, Battery and Charger.

For goggles, some people like the fatshark style, some like the big single screen ones. I happen to like the big ones and Jerry likes the little dual screen ones. I would pay double retail for Goggles Two, no problem.

Both Radios mentioned are excellent.

My batteries mentioned as a cheaper alternative, but not as high current.

My charger suggestion is to allow charging of 5x 1300mAh batteries at 1C charging rate. It can charge twice as fast as my B6, which is otherwise very good.

Thanks for your valuable imput...what about range (safe)
Or is there no way to tell.

Thank you
Keith

It depends on interference on your video signal from local wi-fi and all. If you are interested in long range, i would suggest the Tramp HV video transmitter as an upgrade to the one included in the Diatone (assuming it is not a 600mW VTX already included, i forget). They are hard to find right now though, so any 600mW/200mW/25mW adjustable power VTX would do. Range is probably 1km, maybe 2km in ideal conditions.

The AT9S is specced at 1.5km range.

ImmersionRC Tramp HV 5.8GHz Video Tx

Green can get you going a lot cheaper than my suggestions. Any and all of his suggestions are solid and he has provided me with a great deal of help getting into this racing stuff. Remember, I put in my note what I would do if I didn't want to build and had all of the experience I now have.

I have to say the two quads I've now built fly better than any of the ones I bought pre-built with the exception of the GT2. It's a beast but it has had some growing pains. It also has a Diatone 200mw VTX with OSD. Putting a Tramp HV in it would be a real challenge. Also, the Tramp HV's have been on backordered for months, I have 4 on BO.

As Green said the range will be impacted by your particular environment and you'll need to get some decent antenna's (I forgot to put that on my list). The reviews for the Aomway have been really good and that's pretty much all I'm using.

All of the items I listed can probably be sourced for less money, you'll just have to shop around. I just wanted to give you a conservative base to work with and a link so you can get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Good luck!

Jerry

Keith,

One place I might disagree with Green is the radio. I started with an AT9S and it is a good radio (I still have it). However, the Taranis is much nicer (IMHO) especially, if you're intending on getting multiple quads. Once you get up to speed on it setting up a new quad is a piece of cake. I have at least 11-12 different devices set-up on mine including 2 simulators. Also, FrSky has a really vast product line of transmitters and other devices that work with it that seem to be always readily available and priced fairly.

Jerry

You find the AT9S more difficult to add quads? I think it is pretty good but maybe Taranis is easier. I even set up a quad I bought for a friend on my radio, and copied it over to his radio with USB which I thought was pretty cool. You are certainly right about the BNF options though.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Green,

I don't know that it's any more difficult, I didn't use the AT9"S" that long. I've got a lot of voice alerts, alarms and telemetry data going on and have just become very comfortable with the flexibility of the Taranis.

Jerry

Corrected.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax