Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Increasing Range for FPV

Obsidian Triniti

Reaction score
Hello,
Would anyone be able to provide some guidance on a few things I can do to increase the range of my FPV Quad? I’m not looking specifically to do long range, I just a bit more range. Granted, on some days I get good range, on other days there is just a lot more interference I’m assuming because range is significantly less.

I am using the DJI air unit, FPV digital goggles, and the DJI radio. I have the stock antennae on the air unit And goggles. Could it be as simple as upgrading the stock ones on the goggles and the air unit? And if so, please offer any recommendations.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

There are quite a few antenna upgrades out there for both the air unit and goggles. I’m still flying a standard setup with my kit and flying in places Christopher Columbus hasn’t discovered yet, but may upgrade the goggles to a TrueRC set up at some stage. Here is an article that includes antenna upgrades. have you tried selecting different channels on your goggles/air unit?
Must Have DJI FPV System Accessories / Upgrade Parts - Oscar Liang

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thank you so much for the assist, I actually have not tried a different channel - shows how much I know, or rather how little! ? Will try the channel change and also check out the resource you’ve provided here.

Regards

Thank you so much for the assist, I actually have not tried a different channel - shows how much I know, or rather how little! ? Will try the channel change and also check out the resource you’ve provided here.

Regards
Forgot to ask, do you have your antennas at 90 degrees and are they clear of your battery pack when flying towards you? Probably the other point I should be clear about: video or Rx range?

Hey @tevek, are you running the 1200 mw mod?
I was until the last update, pretty easy to set up but quite frankly, 700mW is more than enough for my Frsky setup. I’m thinking of switching over to crossfire, but that’s a whole new bunch of kit to organise. If I do, expect inbound questions......
As an aside, I just installed the TBS Fusion module on my older V3 goggles and the improvement is remarkable. Keep looking for VAS antennas but the shops over here are pretty much empty of stock until air freight returns to normal.

Forgot to ask, do you have your antennas at 90 degrees and are they clear of your battery pack when flying towards you? Probably the other point I should be clear about: video or Rx range?
Yes, definitely. I did change the channel and it is a little better. As far as vtx or rtx I am not sure. The video is clear when I get the notification that I’m headed out of range, so I am assuming it is rtx. I get the blinking red drone in my goggles. About 10 seconds later it lands (Or crashes depending on how high I am!).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax