Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Im pretty sure this is the root problem but...?

Futuramille

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
so the sköll v2 is acting up.
lots of "telemetry lost" 1sec later... "telemetry found" tones and distance doesn't matter ... middle of my yard 30' away..

also.. getting an occasional shut down/lockout.. (drops to ground but still have vid)
I found this!
15539000544494432565341313618238.jpg
(pardon the weed eater patina)
Now I'm pretty sure if that touches carbon bad things happen.
I got Race wire to repair and prevent further blade strike issues but also I noticed a drastic drop in flight times and the XT60 plugs are much warmer than before.
I don't see anything else wrong and Ive been over it with a volt meter pretty thorough.
before I start the racewire fix... could this one stripped wire touching carbon cause this?
another clue.. Yesterday about 5th battery into the session Nate said he felt he was compensating for that right front with stick inputs...
That's when we quit.
Its clearly not a good thing but would it cause the battery drain and hit XT60 plugs.
heres my fix.. from Graves RC hobby today
15539008023165880999435380786598.jpg
gonna get it cleaned up and start tonight. just thought id get opinions before writing all off to this bare wire.
thanks yall!

so the sköll v2 is acting up.
lots of "telemetry lost" 1sec later... "telemetry found" tones and distance doesn't matter ... middle of my yard 30' away..

also.. getting an occasional shut down/lockout.. (drops to ground but still have vid)
I found this!
View attachment 3148
(pardon the weed eater patina)
Now I'm pretty sure if that touches carbon bad things happen.
I got Race wire to repair and prevent further blade strike issues but also I noticed a drastic drop in flight times and the XT60 plugs are much warmer than before.
I don't see anything else wrong and Ive been over it with a volt meter pretty thorough.
before I start the racewire fix... could this one stripped wire touching carbon cause this?
another clue.. Yesterday about 5th battery into the session Nate said he felt he was compensating for that right front with stick inputs...
That's when we quit.
Its clearly not a good thing but would it cause the battery drain and hit XT60 plugs.
heres my fix.. from Graves RC hobby today
View attachment 3149
gonna get it cleaned up and start tonight. just thought id get opinions before writing all off to this bare wire.
thanks yall!
Hey man,
Bare wire making contact with the frame can cause this issue as well as many others. Carbon fiber is a great conductor! The PDB I had on my reverb was adhered with very thin double sided tape. one of my solder points was making contact with the frame. It was causing the FC to recycle/reboot in mid flight. I also still had video but I could hear the ESC's restarting as it came down. My XT60 was also warm after a minute of flight. I didn't get far enough into a flight to notice decreased flight time. Once i found the issue i replaced the tape with much thicker adhesive and all was good after that.
Hope this helps and I hope you find the issue.

• Love
Reactions: Futuramille
thanks ebeez, your confirming my thoughts. the racewire will solve the problem without having having to undo the stack or resolder those pdb pads.

got it cleaned up.. weed eater patina.. lol
we crash alot and there are some juicy bushes in florida but I love it. If your not crashing your not pushing and Nate is having a ball and learning fast and well.

I fly but don't push near as hard till he leaves to Montana for the summer... than its my turn.
just got him his own HD3 goggles today and switched all my quads and goggle antenna from BS to Foxear.
it will be interesting to see the difference between HD3 and the old Dominator 3.1553916660368834989092911085036.jpg
also went with the BS patch and got this patch for flying the mono pole 2"
15539168185797234224058201043732.jpg
its supposed to be better for monopole antenna like on the 2"
heres another experiment... got 4 of these today
15539169696823876548430611848212.jpg
this is what happens when you walk into Graves RC hobby shop to get "just one thing" lmao
Ill report back on the results

Reactions: ebeez
cool final note... Nate just asked me to help him build a sub 250$ quad. lol
HE IS FINALLY READY TO REALLY LEARN. Im stoked as hes gonna buy his own X9D and at least the frame.
Ive got enough spares of RX and VTX... need to choose motors and stack but Ive been hoping for this.
Its easy to fly like a bat outa ( Mod Removed ) when you're "sponsored".
Im thinking a flyno 3" is the trick. maybe try out the Æther V2 with 3.5" arms, f420 stack... still considering motors but I have four fresh brother motors 1407-3600s in the drawer. We'll see..
Æther V2
its not quite sub 250 but wtf... he wants to learn to build!! I win either way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool Futuramille! Looks like you have a lot on the go! Let me know how that Bandicoot works! You will see a big difference on the HD3's. It is a nice goggle set-up. The view is nice and wide! I went from those to the HDO's and you can notice the reduced field.
I like that V2!!!! How old is Nate?

Funny because my youngest son (Brady, 11) asked if he could come and fly with me last night. So i took and and really wanted to try and fly a quad. I took the Session 5 out of my Alien and we tried a bit of take off and hover for a bit. I might post a shorty vid for giggles later. I am DYING for a flying buddy.. maybe he will be the one?? :)

POURING rain here today.. charged up 6 packs last night for nothing :(.. hopefully tomorrow.. gonna be cold though.

keep us posted on the build!

Cheers!

Reactions: Futuramille
DONE and tested. It was a real trick though.
First I tinned the pads before breaking them apart then marked off 13mm for each arm
20190330_203156.jpg
cut and tinned the wires close
20190330_215159.jpg
double sided 3m tape cut to be invisible so it doesn't attract dirt
20190330_202751.jpg
and then close and tight soldering
20190330_223537.jpg
A few red zip ties to keep everything in place
20190330_223637.jpg

smoke stopper applied of course and bingo.

test flight tomorrow but Im pretty sure this is fixed.
Ill report with a vid.
???

Very cool Futuramille! Looks like you have a lot on the go! Let me know how that Bandicoot works! You will see a big difference on the HD3's. It is a nice goggle set-up. The view is nice and wide! I went from those to the HDO's and you can notice the reduced field.

Funny because my youngest son (Brady, 11) asked if he could come and fly with me last night. So i took and and really wanted to try and fly a quad. I took the Session 5 out of my Alien and we tried a bit of take off and hover for a bit. I might post a shorty vid for giggles later. I am DYING for a flying buddy.. maybe he will be the one?? :)

POURING rain here today.. charged up 6 packs last night for nothing :(.. hopefully tomorrow.. gonna be cold though.

Cheers!
Thanks as ever Ebeez!
Nathaniel is 21.. 22 on June 1st
teach your kids... they make the best flying buddies you could ask for!!

Cheers!
We've decided on a sköll. Its such a great frame and carries a gopro like a beast. I know were biased but there is s reason for our manners. yes there is cheaper frames but flyno gear is insegnificsntly more expensive considering the benefit and support.
this will be so fun
as to the HD3 goggles...
I love them. Nate can't stand the difference from what he knows. Its a huge difference in view between the dominator v3 and HD3 but even without diopters I can see better with the HD3.
I was almost blind flying with the dom v3

Last edited:
( : I gave ours to my grandson. he's 8yo now. It was the perfect tool for teaching LOS orientation eg: "nose in"
once Nate had it in hand I had him flying 450 sized helicopters.
though we never quite got too much 3D flying in.. Nate could flip and hover inverted by the time he was 12yo.

now that we have fpv quads, all 12 helli's are in boxes in the shed. there's just zero room for mistake with them. if any prop touches anything but air its an instant "funky chicken dance" and ful rebuild. screw that!

our quads can roll around in the grass all day with maybe only a blade replacement required.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Young_Kinslee23232