Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I tied that sucker down!

graywoulf

Reaction score
Well after losing my first GoPro camera, I decided that I was not going to lose another one in the same way again. This time, if I lose the camera, I have lost the quad itself as well. A strong nylon cord with a clip that is clipped to the frame. I will be adding these clips to all of my GoPro quads for sure.

GoPro Safety Tether.jpg

Reactions: HighTechPauper
That's a good idea. Though I'd be concerned about those clips opening up under a good shock load. Especially if the load is sideways on the clip. I've seen some that looked like the same ones bend straight under what I'd consider a fairly light load. Using a thin bungee >like this< might reduce the shock enough to keep from bending the hook. I use this stuff, and some plastic hooks, on my kayak to keep from loosing stuff.

Another thing I did on my airplanes for years after loosing receivers and batteries was to attach an 18-24" piece of orange surveyor's ribbon onto anything I thought might get ejected in a crash. Then I fold it up and stuff it under the part. If the part comes out of the airplane, the ribbon would unfold and would be easier to spot in tall grass or weeds.

Thanks! The idea is to at least keep the camera from flying off into nowhere land at least. I used the small clips to try to keep the weight down as well. what I really wanted was a piece of chain and carabiners. The TPU camera mount holds that camera pretty darn snug and I added plastic washers to the rear mounting screws as well.

I don't do much if any freestyle and no racing at all and since I am still fairly new at flying, I don't take many chances. I am just flying for fun now but want to fly cinematic style in the near future.

Yeah, a mini carabiner to clip around one of the standoffs on the frame would be great, if you could find one. Not the same thing, but my brother reminded me about these connectors used to attach the lines to control line airplanes. They are pretty small and light weight, but super strong. No chance of breaking or bending them in even the hardest crash. There are a few different sizes available.

I'm extremely new to flying these things (like "2 weeks" new), and I haven't put an HD camera on mine yet, but I will definitely use your idea of securing it to the frame. Another thing I'm doing is 3D printing parts out of bright yellow TPU filament to help see it after a crash. I'll make the camera mount out of that too.

How did you lose your GoPro before? Did the TPU mount rip off of the frame? Or did the camera come out of the mount? Trying to figure out what the weakest link is in these designs.

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I lost the last one because the mount that I was using was a two part adjustable angle TPU mount. The base of the mount was secured by VHB double sided tape but the top part was being held on by a zip tie. I landed pretty hard in some very tall grass and the quad was fine when I found it but the zip tie had broke inside of the part that holds it and so the top part of the mount and camera were gone. I searched for three days and never found it. I figure it is still out there in that field but I will have to wait until winter to look for it again. It is waterproof so I have that going for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas