Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I have a noobie question about starting up

Ayayeron

Reaction score
OK I’m trying to get a drone I’m looking at getting an FPV but I’m not sure how it works do you have to get more stuff or a bind and fly will give me in the air with just a transmitter remote so my question is do I need to buy is it good remoteAnd a bind and fly quad ? some of them say receiver is not included I’m just confused do I have to solder a cut receiver

You will need at least 3 things to fly FPV, a quadcopter, a radio (TX), and goggles. There are a few different kinds of pre-built quads, BNF (Bind N Fly), and PNP (Plug N Play). BNF comes with a receiver and PNP does not. I would not buy until you understand a bit more about what you need, no sense in wasting money on things you don't need or can't use. This is not an easy thing to do when you're new to the hobby, and you will crash a lot trying to get used to things. For that reason I would not recommend getting a full size quad yet. A real good starting place is to get a tiny whoop class to start learning on and get a bigger one when you master the smaller one a bit. If you want to have a lot of support videos and such to help you get things programmed, get and Frsky QX7 (cheapest worth having) or a QX7S (better model with a battery and charger and Hall Effect Gimbals) and a set of Eachine EV800D box goggles. For a starter quad I would suggest a TinyHawk S. You will likely want to buy a few extra batteries also. Decide what your starting budget is and we can try to point you to some good gear.

Reactions: Ayayeron and tevek
I fly the mavic zoom so I’m familiar with flying just not fpv I’ve put the zoom in some very sketchy situations to satisfy my need for speed so I’m looking for something a little faster than a woop with more agility in corners. The zoom just can’t handle corners as well because of its weight also it wasn’t made to fly that aggressively. To start I’m leaning toward a diatone but the rest I’m not sure I don’t want to get something outrageously expensive but not cheap ether also I want it to have good range so I don’t lose signal. My starting budget is around 600.

• Haha
Reactions: HighTechPauper
You will need at least 3 things to fly FPV, a quadcopter, a radio (TX), and goggles. There are a few different kinds of pre-built quads, BNF (Bind N Fly), and PNP (Plug N Play). BNF comes with a receiver and PNP does not. I would not buy until you understand a bit more about what you need, no sense in wasting money on things you don't need or can't use. This is not an easy thing to do when you're new to the hobby, and you will crash a lot trying to get used to things. For that reason I would not recommend getting a full size quad yet. A real good starting place is to get a tiny whoop class to start learning on and get a bigger one when you master the smaller one a bit. If you want to have a lot of support videos and such to help you get things programmed, get and Frsky QX7 (cheapest worth having) or a QX7S (better model with a battery and charger and Hall Effect Gimbals) and a set of Eachine EV800D box goggles. For a starter quad I would suggest a TinyHawk S. You will likely want to buy a few extra batteries also. Decide what your starting budget is and we can try to point you to some good gear.
So the receiver is basically so you can fly with the googles plug and play no receiver thus no way to fly with goggles?

So the receiver is basically so you can fly with the googles plug and play no receiver thus no way to fly with goggles?
2 things...

"I fly the mavic zoom so I’m familiar with flying just not fpv", sorry, but LOL :) I have a P4P+V1 and I was no more ready to fly these things than fly to the moon!

1. Flying a Mavic is NOTHING like flying these quads... NOTHING! With a Mavic you don't really fly it, you just tell it where to go, It has GPS and is able to hold position, these do NOT. If you want to do acrobatics then you will need to learn to fly in Acro mode (also called Rate Mode), there is no help whatsoever, either you control it or it crashes. The simple reality is that FPV pilots can fly Mavics the first time out, but Mavic pilots cannot fly FPV quads until they have a good bit of stick and crash time under their belts.

2. No the receiver (RX) is for Control Link only and has nothing to do with the FPV video link.
The basic parts of a quad like this are

Flight Controller (FC)
Electronic Speed Controller (ESC)
Motors and props
Camera
Video Transmitter (vTX) and antenna
Battery
Receiver (RX)

Reactions: Ayayeron
If your starting budget is $600 (assuming US$), you have a little wiggle room. You need a Transmitter (TX), and I would recommend you get a Frsky QX7, QX7S, or a Jumper T-16. You will need goggles and I would suggest either the EV800D (cheapest budget worth having) or look for some used Fatshark or possibly Aomway Commander V1 (NOT V1S or V2), but that will eat up most of your $600 and you don't even have a quad or batteries yet. There is an old saying in FPV quads... Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat, and it certainly holds true! The one thing you can do to reduce your repair costs it to get a Sim and learn on it, it can conceivably reduce your repair costs by 50%-75% or more in the beginning because you will not crash as MUCH.

If you get (assuming new gear) a QX7 (about $110) and EV800D (about $100), that is about as cheap as you can get away with for a radio and goggles worth having. A Frsky QX7S is about $185$, and reasonably good goggle type goggles will run you $300 or more, there are some that look similar for as little as $100 (like the Eachine EV100) but they are GARBAGE and a waste of money since there is no market to resell them.

You meed to know the quad before you can know the battery choices, the size (in MAH, Milli Amp Hours), number of cells (1s thru about 6s as they are called), and specific connector are all decided by the quad itself. If you have a bunch of 5" quads, then you can usually run the same batteries on all of them, but you cant use a 5" qyuad battery on a Whoop class quad for instance.

A very discharged battery (3.2v to 3.4v) can take up to an hour and a half (or more) to charge safely at 1C (1 x Chargerate), most of the time we storage charge when we get home so our batteries will be or recover to (30 minutes to cool and stabilize) around (3.7v-3.8v) so it will only take about 45 minutes to an hour to charge.

Chargers are also a question best answered after you have an idea of what you need at first, a decent charger and additional cables and boards you will want will be more expensive than a cheap one that can only do 1 battery at a time, who wants to spend 10 hours babysitting the charger?

Last but not least... YES, batteries of the Lithium Polymer variety can be very dangerous, and much like a jealous girlfriend, any perceived neglect and they will burn your house down ;)
Batteries are most dangerous when they are fully charged, being charged, extremely discharged, and when crashed into things during flight, but there are ways to mitigate most of them, the rest is up to you to be vigilant with them. That being said, very few people have batteries go on them, but you do not want to be out of the room if the battery and abuse gods pick you this time.

This is a fairly complex hobby, and things don't always work like they should, but it is a hobby for tinkerers and most who "just want to fly" end up selling all there stuff and getting out because they didn't have the patience to learn it. Do your research, ask us a ton of questions, and we will give you the benefit of our experience so you make fewer mistakes.

Trust me I will have a lot and thanks for takeout time to help me out I know when I started flying Mavic’s I had no idea what I was getting into but know that I’m taking it up a level I’m curious to see how these quads work from the inside out I’m really taking a passion to flying and race quads will further help me understand how to fix them I take it slow and ask a lot of questions I don’t think I’m gonna push the quad too hard right away That’s probably why I’m one of the lucky few that still have his original mavic bc I don’t take unnecessary chances.whith that being said I’m really interested in the hobby but it’s winter so it will have to wait until spring. Right now I’m just trying to collect as much knowledge as I can. Thanks again guys !! So first good transmitter and a simulator right.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Winter is Whoop time, there is no need to wait until spring. I am telling you, get a QX7, some EV800D's, and a Tinyhawk S with a few extra batteries (about $350). You can whoop and Sim all winter and be ready to add to the squadron as spring arrives.

Winter is Whoop time, there is no need to wait until spring. I am telling you, get a QX7, some EV800D's, and a Tinyhawk S with a few extra batteries (about $350). You can whoop and Sim all winter and be ready to add to the squadron as spring arrives.

This is very good advice. If you are starting out those 3 items will really help you get going and find out if this hobby is for you. If it is, the transmitter and goggles will be fine for a long time and you can grow tour quad fleet over time. I would also add Velocidrone ($20 USD ) simulator for more practice.
Good luck and have fun.

I’m just afraid of crashing into the snow and frying my quad lol
Whoops are meant for inside flying, they are very small and light and won't damage anything if you bang into the wall or a lamp etc. They can be flown outside on very calm wind days but mostly they are for indoors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya