Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I bought another quad...

graywoulf

Reaction score
I just couldn't resist buying an EMAX Tinyhawk Freestyle at half price on an open box sale. Too many good things about this one out there. That is, other than the low grade FPV camera and VTX which are easy to upgrade. I figure that it will provide me with some good practice and experience before I get out the big dog to play. I'ts on order and should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Reactions: tevek and Wayno52
And so it begins..... I looked at grabbing one and looked at the attached video. After doing the numbers, the pricing for the mods over here (Australia) pushed me into other gear. If you’re in the US, it’s a no brainer.

Reactions: graywoulf
I watched his video too and he left me thinking that this could be done easier and cheaper. I am going to take my time in shopping for upgrades. I think that the first one I will do is the connector mod for a 2S battery instead of the two 1S batteries. Here is a video by a guy I watch on YouTube regularly. He has one that he upgraded the cam and VTX. He gets pretty good video from his goggle's DVR. And I have found a micro flight cam that I am considering also.

Reactions: tevek
I watched his video too and he left me thinking that this could be done easier and cheaper. I am going to take my time in shopping for upgrades. I think that the first one I will do is the connector mod for a 2S battery instead of the two 1S batteries. Here is a video by a guy I watch on YouTube regularly. He has one that he upgraded the cam and VTX. He gets pretty good video from his goggle's DVR. And I have found a micro flight cam that I am considering also.

Yeah, you don’t have to run with the full mod setup. I converted my trashcan and mobula 7 to an xt30 set up, took about ten minutes but it opened a whole new range/time/power opportunity. If you lived nearby, I’d give you a spare camera and 200mW vtx that are amongst my spares.

Yeah, you don’t have to run with the full mod setup. I converted my trashcan and mobula 7 to an xt30 set up, took about ten minutes but it opened a whole new range/time/power opportunity. If you lived nearby, I’d give you a spare camera and 200mW vtx that are amongst my spares.

Thanks for the thought on the spares. I actually have an Eachine TX-03 AIO camera that I use on a tiny whoop build and I was considering using it as it has a max output of 200mW. I have found some really good deals on some highly rated 2S batteries. I have some 2S batteries that might work so I might have a head start on that part.

I am looking forward to getting the Tinyhawk tomorrow. I hope it does better in the wind than my tiny whoop does.

Thanks for the thought on the spares. I actually have an Eachine TX-03 AIO camera that I use on a tiny whoop build and I was considering using it as it has a max output of 200mW. I have found some really good deals on some highly rated 2S batteries. I have some 2S batteries that might work so I might have a head start on that part.

I am looking forward to getting the Tinyhawk tomorrow. I hope it does better in the wind than my tiny whoop does.
Well it sounds like you have a plan and you’ll be good to go. I’ve got a pile of beta fpv 2S 350mh 70C batteries that give me about 2.5 mins of thrashing and don’t sag too much when belting along. Took my new DC5 Iflight HD rig out today to get some acro practice. Managed to chase and get chased by a crew of ibis birds before slamming into a light pole trying to pull off some sharp turns. No damage and the wife just laughed at me.
These are good times and it’s all about flying!
Good luck and keep us posted.

And so it begins..... I looked at grabbing one and looked at the attached video. After doing the numbers, the pricing for the mods over here (Australia) pushed me into other gear. If you’re in the US, it’s a no brainer.

I did the upgrades he did in this video with the equipment he used. .. all the same connections. When I plug in, my video feed flickers to a seizure-inducing degree. However, when I arm and fly, the feed becomes crystal clear. Since it doesn't bother flight, I've not been too keen to dig in and figure this out but it's still annoying. Has anyone else had that problem? Even better, did you solve it? I'd appreciate any ideas. Was thinking it might be the cap but I haven't gotten around to replacing the stock one it came with. If I got a bad one, that could be why I have the problem and the dude that made the video didn't. On the other hand, if it's video noise that the cap should suppress, shouldn't it get worse with arming/flying/punch outs? Maybe the routing of my wires?

I wish I could help you with the issues you are dealing with but I am totally new to this myself. And I just received my THFS this morning. I bought an open box item and it apparently has been through Betaflight and had some changes made that I need to try to get back to the default settings somehow. Hopefully someone with way more experience with these will chime in and help you out. Try starting a new thread on here about your TH issues so it will be seen by all of the others. That is your best bet on this. Good luck.

I wish I could help you with the issues you are dealing with but I am totally new to this myself. And I just received my THFS this morning. I bought an open box item and it apparently has been through Betaflight and had some changes made that I need to try to get back to the default settings somehow. Hopefully someone with way more experience with these will chime in and help you out. Try starting a new thread on here about your TH issues so it will be seen by all of the others. That is your best bet on this. Good luck.

If you haven't discovered Joshua Bardwell on Youtube (which might not even be possible), you should become acquainted. Anyway, I listen to his livestreams as a podcast and he has mentioned several times that he has an online repository where he is saving the initial (factory) config files for all of the quads that he comes into contact with (which is a lot). He's doing this specifically for the needs you have posted about. I'm not sure where they are, but shouldn't be hard to find. As popular as the THFS is, I'm willing to bet it's in his bucket.

I am most familiar with Mr. Bardwell's channel but I did not know about the repository of settings. Thank you very much for that information and I will certainly search for it right now. ?

I did the upgrades he did in this video with the equipment he used. .. all the same connections. When I plug in, my video feed flickers to a seizure-inducing degree. However, when I arm and fly, the feed becomes crystal clear. Since it doesn't bother flight, I've not been too keen to dig in and figure this out but it's still annoying. Has anyone else had that problem? Even better, did you solve it? I'd appreciate any ideas. Was thinking it might be the cap but I haven't gotten around to replacing the stock one it came with. If I got a bad one, that could be why I have the problem and the dude that made the video didn't. On the other hand, if it's video noise that the cap should suppress, shouldn't it get worse with arming/flying/punch outs? Maybe the routing of my wires?
Whenever I’ve changed either the camera or vtx, I always twist the supply wires in a spiral and kept clear of the boards as that helps reduce electrical interference. I’ve got 50v 470uF caps on my bigger gear and 35v 1000uF on the others. I’ve read of people adding inline LC filters to remove flickering and static if it’s a constant issue but I’ve never had that.
Your camera is probably fine if you‘re confident of your soldering skills, my experience is that they either work or they don’t.

Well, I have a problem with the Tinyhawk. After spending hours setting this quad up on Betaflight and my Tx as I am still learning Betaflight, I finally decided it was time to give it a small test flight indoors. I hooked the batteries up, armed it and the props started spinning slowly as they should so I gave it some throttle very slowly and it just sat there until I was at full throttle then it rose about on foot and dropped to the floor with three props still turning slowly. I throttled all the way down and disarmed it and rearmed it and gave it another try only to get the same results. I had hooked the batteries to the USB charger that came with it and the lights were green which I took as a full charge. Nothing in the manual whatsoever about using that charger so I would know I was reading it right.

So I took the batteries to my iMax B6 Mini charger to use it to try to charge them or at least use the battery meter to check them. The first battery kept causing an error message about checking the connection so I tried the other battery, it showed a full charge so I can only surmise that I have one bad battery.

I did not get the jumper that was supposed to come with it so I can't try one battery at a time. I guess that either the quad has a problem or the bad battery is causing the flight problem. One thing I do know is that the seller has a 30 day return policy which it looks like I might need to use. ?

Well, I have a problem with the Tinyhawk. After spending hours setting this quad up on Betaflight and my Tx as I am still learning Betaflight, I finally decided it was time to give it a small test flight indoors. I hooked the batteries up, armed it and the props started spinning slowly as they should so I gave it some throttle very slowly and it just sat there until I was at full throttle then it rose about on foot and dropped to the floor with three props still turning slowly. I throttled all the way down and disarmed it and rearmed it and gave it another try only to get the same results. I had hooked the batteries to the USB charger that came with it and the lights were green which I took as a full charge. Nothing in the manual whatsoever about using that charger so I would know I was reading it right.

So I took the batteries to my iMax B6 Mini charger to use it to try to charge them or at least use the battery meter to check them. The first battery kept causing an error message about checking the connection so I tried the other battery, it showed a full charge so I can only surmise that I have one bad battery.

I did not get the jumper that was supposed to come with it so I can't try one battery at a time. I guess that either the quad has a problem or the bad battery is causing the flight problem. One thing I do know is that the seller has a 30 day return policy which it looks like I might need to use. ?
Hmmm, It looks like you have the quad set up for flight if it’s reacting to your controller inputs. The issue with your battery coming up with an error message is either a balance lead issue or the battery is stuffed. From memory my quads could still be flown on 1S without the additional series lead, but the performance was pitiful. Without the XT30 conversion, and seeing how you have configured Betaflight, it is looking like a battery supply problem.
This can be fixed.

I'm not sure what to do with this one. The seller has given me several options towards a return of the quad.

1) Return current Freestyle and refund you, then offer 20% discount on New Freestyle (would be $82 for you).
2) Accept standard return for refund to you.
3) Offer compensation for missing parts on the Freestyle you have so that you can purchase these parts from EMAX (battery adapter, screws, etc.)

So, I think that option number one is the best course of action in my opinion but as it has been pointed out, there are other quads out there with similar features. I like the TH from what I have seen of it on YT and it looks like the best one out there for modding considering it's form factor. One of the things I did not mention is that it looks like the previous owner had this quad apart for some reason. One of the screws is missing from the FC makes me think that. And motor number two felt really rough at first. Like there was debris inside of it. But that seems to have gone away on it's own.

I will spend a little time doing some research on other options before I make up my mind and I'm very open to comments and suggestions on this. Thanks!

Well since you’ve mentioned that it has been ‘played’ with in a past life, I would return it and look for something new to at least give you a base line to start with. There are a number of 2S/3S 2-3” quads out there with reasonable cameras and 200mW vtx’s. I have a couple of HappyModel quads that perform well but I wouldn’t recommend them due to (in my case) a high infant mortality rate. I do have an Emax babyhawk R pro, a Furibee X140, a betafpv 115 HD and a couple of others depending on where your price point is. Since I usually fly in the forest, I’ve always needed more grunt, hence the bigger vtx just to give me a chance.
There is always time to upgrade the little things like antennas etc but you need something to get you up in the air without too much setting up.

My price point starts at around $100 or lower. I would like to leave some room for upgrades. I have looked at quads pretty much all day and I just have not seen anything like the TH in that price range. I looked at 3" quads as well but I don't want a quad that is much bigger as I already have the 5" I just bought and I want something small enough to fly indoors but is beefy enough to fly outdoors as well. I am almost convinced that I need to take the seller up on his discount offer.

My price point starts at around $100 or lower. I would like to leave some room for upgrades. I have looked at quads pretty much all day and I just have not seen anything like the TH in that price range. I looked at 3" quads as well but I don't want a quad that is much bigger as I already have the 5" I just bought and I want something small enough to fly indoors but is beefy enough to fly outdoors as well. I am almost convinced that I need to take the seller up on his discount offer.
Sounds lIke you’ve got a plan. I just looked at stock over here in Australia and the THFS is about $180 which puts it in striking distance of a bunch of other quads. The issue is our exchange rate against the US and other currencies is rubbish and hence the grouping of 2S/3S quads. Banggood used to be popular but tedious with shipping at times but the govt put a 10% tax on that and other sites to protect the local industry. If you can get a new THFS at the right price, go for it and put some coin aside for the inevitable crashes and mods.

Australia sounds like an expensive country to live in but I sure would like to visit there. I just sent the seller a message to let him know that I would like to take his offer on the 20% discount. So, I guess I didn't waste all that time in Betaflight after all. I'll let you know how that goes.

Australia sounds like an expensive country to live in but I sure would like to visit there. I just sent the seller a message to let him know that I would like to take his offer on the 20% discount. So, I guess I didn't waste all that time in Betaflight after all. I'll let you know how that goes.
Happy days then. Yes Australia can be expensive in some areas, particularly discretionary spending such as accommodation, restaurants and drones... Our wages are generally higher than many other countries but they come after you with a myriad of taxes and generally much less choice than somewhere like the US.
Anyway, all the best in getting the deal sealed (channeling Trump) and you’ll be up in the air without any further grief. Just about to head off and burn a couple of packs on my DC5, probably crash but at least I’ll have HD footage of the debacle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas