Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How important is drone size?

Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm just starting to get into this whole fpv drone thing and I was just wondering, how important is size? It seems like 5" or 250mm is like the standard, the thing everyone wants but just how important is it that a drone is that specific size? Personally I'm leaning in the 5" direction and not really any smaller because I don't want to not be able to go out just because I have a smaller quad but I also know how powerful some of the quads are so just looking for some input. Also if you don't mind how is this for like sort of a starter setup? Eachine EV100 goggles(I will get new antennas as well), and the Eachine Wizard x220 (ik its smaller which is part of the reason for this question) that comes with the flysky I6? Also if you have any other recommendations for better stuff please keep in mind I'd like to keep it as close to $300 as possible, I can do more I just don't want to unless it will really improve my experience?

Edit: I've also found this drone ill link it cause the name may not be a well known, BFight 210.
BFight 210 210mm Brushless FPV Racing Drone - $135.49 Free Shipping|GearBest.com

Last edited:
Reactions: rtkDarling
I would think size might matter on where and how you intend to fly. I max out at 3" and 3S for outdoor flying because I fly more around mine and my neighbor's yards, so I do not want/need something that goes as fast as 4+S and I also fly alone, so I do not need to keep up with anyone.

Improved experience based on size? I watch a $12 Santa whoop give as much an experience as a 6" 6S kwad. A few 5" guys I know on here just recently flew 3" quads and were pulling the same tricks as their bigger versions and were having just as much fun. So experience, like time, is a relative term.

I agree Torc.
I have 2" & 2s 450mah for indoors and add 3s for outdoors in playgrounds and tight tree spots.
my 3" on 3s is real relaxed flying outside, add 4s and it covers my 60' yard and still flies close tight proximity stuff.
Once you get the 3" into a large open area, you find its weakness compared to the 5". I mostly fly the 3" on 4s 850mah.
The 5" is all 4s 1300-1360mah right now and it can cover 100 yrds real quick and with authority.
It really depends on the airspace and how you want to fly it.

Reactions: rtkDarling and Torc
I agree with above. I have a micro, a 3" a 5" and a 6" and I like to fly them all. It's all about the size of your intended playground. 2.5 to 3 inches is what will give you enough power to do just about anything a 5 inch can do, just with a little less control tightness. (the babyhawk is a good example at 2.5)

I humbly suggest you start small though, only because I had trouble learning on a 5". They're fast, and every time you crash (assuming it survives) you have to walk over, check on it, set it up and take off. Learning on an indoor micro is just faster that way (the walk of shame is so much shorter) and they're basically unbreakable.

I have a Tinyhawk and I just love it. It's my top recommendation for new pilots right now. That said, the Trashcan is looking like it's going to take it's place at the top

If your in "Kansas" without obstacles to fly around and big areas, 5" quad rules.
if your flying in your yard with trees... (100'x100') 3" is awesome.
if your flying inside or super tight areas.. a good brushless whoop or 2" quad is in order.
note: a 2" brushless drone is not optimal for learning indoors. if your learning fpv flying indoors, get a whoop. if you can learn to fly the 2" outdoors first, you can bring it indoors.
heres my 2" in action on 3s... just for reference

heres the 3"

@Futuramille I like the idea of a single pilot posting multiple sizes; you can see their confidence change.
My 3" was running 1408, so it was plenty fast. Without a GoPro it flew like a hungry gremlin.
This video starts on 3" DVR and goes to 6" footage with a GoPro in the same area. The 3 tears it up just fine.

This is the 3" carrying a GoPro session
(I know I've posted these before)

And I normally don't upload straight DVR, but I'm working on a Tinyhawk edit just for comparison. Maybe I'll even take it into the woods...

Reactions: Futuramille
RTK, great rip on all accounts brother. thanks for sharing again.
there is a good argument for sticking with 3" especially now with better motors and FC available. my vids are oldish (f3 FC's). once we got the 5" cerberus we didn't fly the smaller ones. im still planning to finish the rebuild on both 2" and 3" as we wore them out.
but, with the new sköll 5" we can't help but spend flying time with it.
we just now finished 6 batteries. first 3were on the sköll. we each then flew one battery each through the 5" cerb and elected to fly the last battery in the skoll because it simply feels better.

we fly acro and the added weight of the skoll with the gopro on it gives massive hang time.

small Quads have zero hang time so you have to fly more.. jmho. Its not a bad thing at all and unless you actually toss a 680g quad and feel that hang time, you'll never miss it. Once you feel it though, its really an easy choice.

comes back to how much air space you have. you don't need hang time indoors and close "tree bashing" doesn't need it either inside the branches.

3" isn't actually cheaper than a 5" in props or batteries. my 850mah 4s cost the same as 4s 1360mah. props are still $2.50 a set at either size.

thanks, Im really happy with Flynoceros equipment.

I just asked Nate his opinion on size. His comment was "bigger is smoother and juicier". He reminded me though that we basically learned fpv on 125mm RISE house racers (indoors and out.. under powered, brushed motors learning power management).
going small at the start saves money in parts BECAUSE there is no momentum. "as we got better, you added weight".

edit: NateDogg is the better pilot between us. all my vids are Nate flying. he's 21yo and been flying RC helis mostly since he could hold a transmitter. He wrings these machines out and we crash alot. if I post an end to end rip its because it was the only one of the day. lol
I chose flynoceros 3" first after the Rise quads. we wore it out and then I got the 5" cerberus.
I got the 2" cerberus just to finish the set to be honest. It was BNF and had hot motor issues straight away but was a little beast!! even on 2s it scared my big screen tv flying indoors.

Last edited:
may I recommend...
Æther V2 3″ BNF (HD) – Flynoceros
I guarantee this will roll around in the grass wreck after wreck and fly again without breakage. your gonna go through props but I think this is the best bet and what Id buy If starting now.
the Flynoceros community is a good group. You pay a bit more but the experience is what you pay for compared to a few dollars less and no service other than forums.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas