Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How do *you* interpret the 250gr FAA weight limit? Do *you* contact airports before flying a tinywhoop or toothpick?

Andrei

Reaction score
Hi
The FAA says that drones under 250gr do not have to be registered. This implies, at least to me, that the FAA considers drones <250gr (or <.55lbs - same difference) as toys, not as drones.
Frankly, while I always honestly call any and all airports when I fly heavier drones, I don't call anybody when I fly my TinyHawk.
Do you?
Does anybody?
Strictly speaking, I think that even if I fly a 10gram micro-drone in my living room I still have to call the FAA since they "own" all the airspace from the ground up (or so I was told).
But calling anybody to report a 28gr tinywhoop just sounds silly to me.
What do you think?
Thanks!

You don't have a drone on your signature big enough to take a plane out. It's totally unnecessary to call the airport.
The FAA does own airspace, though airspace is defined by not being inside. Theoretically the FAA can't stop you from flying a drone as large as you want to, as long as you keep and fly it in your own warehouse and never take it outside.

I know our good friend @Futuramille just got his 107, he might have some insight :)

Dear rtkDarling and Roadking,
Thanks a lot for clarifying that for me, that is also what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.
Kind regards!

Reactions: Wayno52
It was a good question and last week I actually was wondering myself.

I went to the FAA site and honestly my answer is my interpretation.

I saw that under 250 grams is classified as a toy, but in another section it says that all drones under 250 grams must follow regulations. I’m assuming that by “drone” they mean 250 and up. Lower is a toy and not a drone by my reasoning.

In terms of registration it is very clear. Under 250 no need to register.

All that seems to make sense but remember you’re dealing with the government so sometimes what makes sense doesn’t matter.

I hope the information is correct because I wouldn’t want anyone getting in trouble because of my misinterpretation.

It was a good question and last week I actually was wondering myself.

I went to the FAA site and honestly my answer is my interpretation.

I saw that under 250 grams is classified as a toy, but in another section it says that all drones under 250 grams must follow regulations. I’m assuming that by “drone” they mean 250 and up. Lower is a toy and not a drone by my reasoning.

In terms of registration it is very clear. Under 250 no need to register.

All that seems to make sense but remember you’re dealing with the government so sometimes what makes sense doesn’t matter.

I hope the information is correct because I wouldn’t want anyone getting in trouble because of my misinterpretation.
Hello,
Does this also mean you do not need a spotter if you fly FPV(goggles) and under 250?

Nice to be here :)

If under 250 it is a toy, then the rules on how to fly an "official" UAS do not apply to under 250 drones.
right?
at least this is how I understand that: under 250 do whatever you want :)

Reactions: Madhungarian
Sorry for the late reply.
sUAS must weigh < 55 lbs and any sUAS > .55 lbs.
so .55 is not in scope and 55lbs needs a different license entirely.
This is all up weight.. battery / camera / shark fin.. eg hovering weight.
this also applies to airplanes or wings or a blimp.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
If under 250 it is a toy, then the rules on how to fly an "official" UAS do not apply to under 250 drones.
right?
at least this is how I understand that: under 250 do whatever you want :)
I would not at all say "do what you want"
remote pilots of any airship stil have rules important to the FAA.
dont fly:
-close to or over people
-over 100mph
-over 400' AGL
-closer than 500' to clouds virtically and within 2000' horizontally
- closer than 2000' from guy wires (ever wonder if a tower dive was legal)
-have a visual observer (eg never fly out of sight)

All these rules apply in the US in all states. Hope this helps in your decisions. stay safe!!

if you ever wonder if your in class G (open/uncontrolled) airspace, plug your location in the US unto this site.
Generally.. Any airport with a dashed circle around it, Inside that circle is illegal to fly in any case without FAA waiver. Dashed line means controlled to ground level. Most other controlled airspace around an airport starts at 700 AGL so well above our 400'.
check it out.. you may be surprised.

If for no other reason, its good to know!
heres my home spot. Im at the dot next to Howey in the hills label.
Screenshot_20190817-173302_Chrome.jpg

I think the best advice is for people to find and read the FAA regulations rather than listen to a stranger on the internet.

When I went to the FAA site, all I could find is that:
- under 250 grams do not have to register.
- under 250 grams is classified as a toy.
- all regulations apply to all drones.

It seems a bit ambiguous. Is a quad under 250 grams a drone? Or a toy?

If it’s a drone then the rules apply.
If it’s a toy, then no rules apply.

Honestly I don’t know, even after trying to find out. I guess just be careful and don’t do anything stupid and you’re probably ok.

Heres the place to start
there are links inside the pdf.

here are two vids (long winded) that give you 75% of the questions and answers you'll see on the 107 test.

and a different detailed view of the same.

this is the best general information resources I could find. I passed with a 93%. there's no need to spend on training courses. If you can build and configure a race quad, you can get your studying on (couple hours a day or till you fall asleep lol) until you've read through the study guide twice(highlight the good stuff first time through).
then and during all this reading.. watch those two vids above as many times as possible. 150$ for the test (youll pass >70% and then you know how best to break the law and when.

Attachments

• remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
I would say that asking someone who just passed his FAA Part 107 test, like Futuramille has, is a lot better than just relying on what I read and how I happen to interpret the guidelines and laws. But as I understand it, less than .55 lbs means no registration, but that all other rules apply including VLOS or a spotter during FPV, to be actually legal under current interpretations from all the Part 107 experts I know.

Reactions: Futuramille
exactly Randy! the weight only applies to the need for registration. if your flying outside.. your in federal airspace.
its both a comfort and a blessing.
blow holes with stupid municipal rules can't override the FAA regarding fines and such.
There is alot more leniency tthn you think really. In any case its good to be sure regarding your flight plans.
I think many fly feeling they may be illegal when its far from true and flying is perfectly legal in a spot.
It is how we conduct ourselves around other people in a public park like setting that is key.
If your 5 miles out of town ripping a bando or construction site.. with no people.. your golden.
add some people walking around and your in P n Q territory. tighten your plan up!

Last edited:
There is alot of value to flying any spot when your ready to show license and registration for both FAA and FCC. at least register your FAA number and get it on the ship. that alone is worth go gold with cops. then add a second FCC HAM handle and thier eyes roll back in their heads.
then give the cop a ride along (goggles up)
. (since its all legal) and you have a friend fir life who times his routes through the neighborhood to your known flying times.
Get close and share this fpv magic. stay legal.. stay safe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone