Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

how do Betaflight configurator versions relate to Betaflight Firmware?

Noobnoobnoob

Reaction score
Searching I did not find any discussion that touched on this exact subject. Will any BF firmware version correctly interact with any BF Configurator version, how do these versions relate to one another? The reason for these questions is that I have "tried" to re configure 2 quads and both quads became stupid after I modified them. My Mobula 7 V2 is not arming as before and though it eventually does only one motor starts then others join but are obviously out of sync, unfortunately before keeping the changes I did not save a backup of original (factory) settings and have had same results copping settings from various people I found on the net. Today I attempted to change the transmitter settings, basically switches on my new Tyro79S controller and after making these very simple changes the quad became erratic basically jumping upon arming then shutting motors down. This time I wasn't as stupid as the first time and had saved the factory settings and was able to recover them where everything is back to factory and the bird is again flying normally. Is it possible that using the latest configurator (I think) and older BF Firmware which these 2 Kwads have, is creating the issue? Do I have to flash the newest firmware in order for configurator to work? If I do will I loose all the factory settings?

The configurator must be of the proper rev to interact with the BF rev on the quad properly, if you read the "Release Notes" section on each revision on this page you can see which configurator is appropriate for the rev you have.

Thanks for your prompt response. Can more than one version of configurator be installed in a computer? When I first installed BFC it alerted me to an update and once I did it even though both versions appear in launchpad, only the newest one launches and when I try the previous version it will only alert me as to the new version. My dilemas is that I have 5 quads all with different versions LOL

I have not been able to get 2 revs working at the same time, even in 2 different directories. I just keep all the revs installer files on my PC in a backup directory and remove and install the one I need when I need it. PITA, yes, but workable. If yours is just prompting you to update you should be able to hit cancel and just use that rev, but for me, once I install any rev, even in separate directories, it destroys the other versions libraries and executable files. YMMV.

that sure is a PITA but of course you have a workable solution, I'm wondering if all the kwads can be updated to the latest BF to preven't having the pain, but at least in my limited knowledge I'm probably better off just doing what you do once to correct whatever needs correcting and leave them alone.
Man with the Tyro 79S I just wanted some function to the remote it has all these nice toggles that I want to use, but just playing with those screwed the bird up, still don't understand how.

Yes, I would just install what you need to work on that rev of BF, usually one properly configured you don't need to connect very often. I would be cautious loading all quads to the latest, it can be done, but may be more difficult to get the quad flying reasonably well again, that has been my experience anyway. Normally I will run the quad at what rev it came with, and if it is before 3.5.7 I will try to upgrade and configure by hand from scratch (you shouldn't use old configs on newer BF revs), and if it is rev 4+ then I will just get the appropriate configurator for that rev.

When it comes to using all the nice toggles, the first thing to decide is WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO DO, as in what function are you trying to accomplish, you need to know that first before you can try to configure and test it. Perhaps you can give an example of one thing you were trying to do and I can help you figure it out.

I was afraid of that (updating firmware) because of the possibility of any factory setup being wiped and having to start from scratch not having any idea what I''m doing. I actually would not go into BF at all, but let's say with the Tyro79S I don't want to touch the settings I just wanted to customize the remote setup a bit, really I wanted to change the arming switch from a 2 position toggle to a single position toggle (first one on right hand) set one up (a 2 position on the right hand side) as the flight modes, and finally make one activate a buzzer so I can find the **** thing the thousand times I'm sure to loose it. Basically the same with all the others, just get the right switches for my taste. I also found that the Tyro is not transmitting OSD so I'd love to get that working. Just little stupid stuff. Thanks for the advise. The Sector 132 I have no issues with, came setup pretty right and so far need to do nothing to it. The Mobula 7 V2 I just totally screwed up and the US65 pro hasn't even been turned on yet just plugged into BF to see the version, Oh and the X220 is just waiting for me to be unafraid of it LOL, that one also needs some E/C mapping it's still on the factory "arm with the throttle mode" so yeah, not interested in PIDs or any of that other stuff yet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput