Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Hot motors Help

fpvrick7

Reaction score
I just recently built a brand new mode 2 ghost v2 with T-Motor f60s 2500kv and it flies great. BUT, after a short and easy going flight, I noticed that my motors were very hot. The back 2 motors were hotter than the front 2 as well. I know 100% that there are NO screw touching the windings, so it’s not that. Could it be something to do with my PIDs? Thank you to anyone who can help.

Assuming your fc is properly mounted and you've added a capacitor, #1 cause of hot motors would be that your d-term is too high or incorrect filter setup. Rather than ask a million questions on your setup, I'd suggest you review the BF wiki tuning notes first
betaflight/betaflight

Thanks for the reply. I have a capacitor, my fc is firmly soft mounted and my d gains are all at 20 except yaw which is at 0. I still have hot motors. My motors are clean and the bearings seemed fine upon closer inspection. Any ideas? Thanks.

Heres a sloppy but effective way to test pid effect on motor heat. first, save your current settings!
Id turn down your P by 5 or more and your D by 10 and fly it. test motors after 2 minute of flying. if not hot and if needed (sloppy), turn P back up first in increments of 3. turn D up if its needed to reduce the bounce back after rolls and flips.
still hot? keep turning down P half of what you do with D until its too sloppy to fly or the heat goes down. If its too hot to want to hold your fingers on, its too hot.
If it gets to sloppy to fly and its still hot, its not pids.

this takes only three seperate changes and tests to know the answer. I take my pc out with me outside when first tuning so I can compare flight to flight more quickly.

good luck and check out that info Renov8tr mentioned.
Id rather fly through a little bounce back than have hot motors.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpvrick7
What are specs on batteries you are using for these 'easy going' flights? Also, what ESCs/ specs/ ratings are you using and lastly, what version firmware of betaflight are you running on the FC?

First of all thanks again for the replies. I am just about to go to the park and try out Futuramille's suggestion.
My quad specs are as follows:
  • FC - Pyrofliprc f4osd (soft mounted) - betaflight 3.5.1, pids shown bellow
  • ESC - Spedix gs35 35a 4 in 1 2s-4s (with capacitor) - dshot 1200 - blheli_32
  • Motors - tmotor f60 2207 2500kv
  • props - Gemfan flash 5149
  • Batteries - both Bonka 1300mah 4s (165g) and Infinity 1300mah race spec 4s (154g)
  • Dry weight - 310 grams
  • AUW - 464-475 grams

Something else to note - My motors on my quad get noticeably warm after 10 seconds of *hovering,* but not as hot as 2 min of easy flying.

PIDS: (attatched)betaflight pids for ghost.PNG

Hmmm. Specs look good but I'm thinking could either be props or filters on BF. Try 5040 - 5042 tri-blade, or 5045 bi-blade props (won't get as sharp cornering with the bi-blades though).

Just tried some hq 5x4.3x3 v1s props on my quad and I still get hot motors. I'm In the middle of changing my pids at the park and it doesn't look promising. I'm no expert when it comes to betaflight filtering. Do you know any good videos explaining it?

Smooth. I read on "pid tuning tips for 3.5.1" on github that having an I gain for yaw higher than 100 is completely fine. Also, to reduce noise, dropping yaw p and raising yaw feed forward is a good idea. BTW just came back from the park having only flown 2 batteries until a stupid unleashed dog decided to chase and then eat my drone. Don't worry my quad was ok.

Reactions: Futuramille
That happened to me 3 different times at the same park, same dog. Master just lets him go off his leash, and he likes to go after my quad. I let him chase it for a while, I wait for him in a hover til ne gets close and I fly to a different area. He will run far til I tire him out. He came close but never caught my quad yet. Back to the hot motor issues, do you hear any oscillations when you let off throttle from a high blip of it while in the air?

0 oscillations in sound and video. I was just tuning my I terms and listened for any oscillations after a blip of the throttle. None. Maybe it's a filtering issue, but that would be weird as I have only flown with stock filtering.

Try looking at the latest Github articles on how to adjust filters. They have stuff posted on how to optimize their adjustments, according to weight/ gear of quad, especially for that version of firmware.

Yes dshot 1200. Esc specs are listed above. I'll go and read those github articles again and look for anything about filtering. I'll also change to dshot 600 and see if that has any affect.

I run a lower BF version than you on my cerberus (no dterm adjustment) . Yaw is P-45, I-50. On my new sköll, (butterflight) Yaw is P-45, I-50, D-25. though it can do dshot1200, I run 600 (only reason I mentioned it). I can't find it but Im sure Ive seen a JB "learn something" vid on pid tuning that showed adjusting yaw can improve heat issues.
I know nothing advisable about filters and go with defaults.
hot motors are a true pain but we'll figure this out with you bro. there are only so many variables.

Wow thank you guys so much. It's hard to understand how much gratitude I have for you fellas helping me out.

Anyway, sorry for my inconsistency in my responses. Internet has been down over Christmas where I'm at. (telstra) I flew some packs the other day and I noticed that my motor temperatures began to reduce after some pid alterations. Not quite as cool as I would consider "normal" but it's progress nevertheless. After a couple of packs, I had a crash. Nothing dramatic, just hit the ground after a shifty tree gap. After the crash my motors sounded like they had a bit of dirt or something in them, you know that familiar sound. I still can spin that dirt out, even when punching out. Now my motors are getting HOT again. Maybe I had dirt in my motors the whole time? I tried to take the bell off and have a look but I instead stripped the screw holding the bell on. How do I take the bell off?

grrr, that's not an easy task. the screws have threaded lock and usually need heat to get loose cleanly.
once its broke, Id say get a new motor but...
do you have a decent dremel set?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax