Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Hope I Don't Crash

the.ronin

Reaction score
Hi guys. New to this forum but been on the Mavic forum for a little bit. Was big into drones between 2013-2015 then got out of it. Started out with an ebay'ed P1 and that was it I was hooked. Started building and flying (read: crashing) 250 class "minis" before "racing" and "freestyle" were a thing. (Remember the Blackout mini H? lol). Just got back into things now that it looks like the FAA sorta has their act together and the tech has come such a long way. I got a Mavic Air for the a/p stuff and now putting together a kit for minis ... err racing ... I mean freestyle. lol

After the Mavic Air, the "fun budget" took a bigger hit than anticipated so I need to be super stingy with my FPV stuff. I got a Dom v3 for $200 on fleabay just now (rocked the HD v1's before) and pulled the trigger on the just in stock FrSky X-Lites since I always felt that radios (former Futaba 8FG user) were too darn big being even bigger the little drones I flew lol. I'm now looking to get a pre-built Gecko or Jalupara 3 which I'll modify myself. I'd put a parts list together to get a <250g Gecko 3 together but the total $$ tally is pretty steep and honestly, I think I just want to fly and not have to dust off the old Hakko soldering station.

Wish me luck hope I don't crash. ?

Welcome back! 3" Jappy is a great choice, pretty well bullet-proof. But once you see how far the technology has come, I'm sure you'll be building a 6" freestyle or LR bird before long

Welcome back! 3" Jappy is a great choice, pretty well bullet-proof. But once you see how far the technology has come, I'm sure you'll be building a 6" freestyle or LR bird before long
I'm really impressed with where Chris has taken Armattan. The dude works hard. I remember my first ever "mini" was a foldable Armattan made by his partner I forget his name. I rocked an Armattan FPV early release for my a/p rig. First rate carbon fiber and can't beat the lifetime warranty.

Thanks man I really things got a little more simpler as far as tuning pids and FCs. I was too dumb to learn the Naze so went with OP CC3D which looks to have dissolved and forked off to open libre lol wtf.

Yeah, even Cleanflight, Librepilot etc. are not really supported anymore, Betaflight is king (unless you're into autonomous flight then we have iNav). And yo're right, it's so advanced that most birds will fly really well on default PIDs. Nowadays it's all about filters and modes. Turtle mode, air mode..........

Yea flying rate back then was really tricky. Lol have no idea what filters and modes are. Gonna have to read up on that.

Oh man just got back from my first flight since my drone hiatus. Rocked a Japalura 3" on 4s 850mah 75c. WOW. I was sure this thing wouldn't even stay in the air long it hasnt even been put through a proper FC setup in Betaflight. After dozens of hours tinkering with Naze 32 and maybe not much less than half that on OpenPilot, I couldn't get my 250 class minis to fly with this much stability ... on freeging attitude mode!!!! LOL. Oh I am lovin this sh*t!! ?

[edi] Oh! And I broke ZERO props!! LOL WTF?!! (I crashed plenty it's how I get my workout I literally break a good sweat running back and forth lol.)

[edit 2] I will say my experience with Taranis through Frsky X-Lite has been less than stellar in my opinion. I was on the Futaba system before with an 8FG and the system just works. No fuss. With Taranis and its open source-ness means you gotta be checking firmware FCC vs BLT vs Mcrib whatever, shoddy manufacturing (R9M Mini pins were f*cked and I had to take it apart to fix), and just not as smooth as Futaba. BUT ... the form factor of the X-lite ... theres just nothing else out there.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Futuramille
Nothing like a great success story!!

letterip! we want vids of course. Its fun to watch a pilot improve over time.

keep sharing and great job!

Well today sucked lol. I got a ton of gear over the weekend like rapdfire and was very excited to get in a little bit of flying. I went out and my video cut out. Stupid signal wire to the vtx came undone (this was not my build I wanted a BNF to get up in the air and some of the build technique is a little questionable like poor solder and no use of liquid elec tape). Went back home, fixed that, went back out. It won't arm. LOL. Got a big meeting tomorrow morning so can't fix it tonight but hoping to get it airborne tomorrow. I really need a secondary.

• Wow
Reactions: Futuramille
BAHAHAHAHA guys my second time out with the Japalura 3 and I'm doing back to back loops. Dude, I never done a loop in my life. We were happy to get stable flight in friggin attitude mode back when I was doing this first in 2015. Oh man this is so much fun LOLLLLLLL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax