Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Hex Nuts Worn

DMHexer

Reaction score
Busted an arm, though on unscrewing the bolts the hex heads (all 3) immediately went soft - and the allan key doesn't grip. Likely a combo of soft metal and a cheap bolt.

Now? Problem. The nut head is so small, I tried filing a cut into it so I could use a regular mini screwdriver, though I don't have an edge that small.

Any ideas? Short of filing down the entire nut head?

Attachments

• 20200315_115147.jpg
    20200315_115147.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200315_115138.jpg
    20200315_115138.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Having been there before, I’ve managed to use some bull nose pliers to get some purchase on them whilst grabbing the stand offs. I also tried using a small coping saw to cut slots for a screw driver as you’ve done and get them out. It pays to have a six pack sitting on the sidelines.

Having been there before, I’ve managed to use some bull nose pliers to get some purchase on them whilst grabbing the stand offs. I also tried using a small coping saw to cut slots for a screw driver as you’ve done and get them out. It pays to have a six pack sitting on the sidelines.

Thanks Tevek. You've actually given me a thought; to file down two edges either side of the bolt, to give better purchase with a pair of pliers as you did.

Reactions: tevek and Wayno52
Thanks Tevek. You've actually given me a thought; to file down two edges either side of the bolt, to give better purchase with a pair of pliers as you did.
Yeah it does work, but you need to be patient and decisive. Thankfully they are either 2mm or 3mm and not the bigger soul destroying bolts I’ve had to deal with. I’ve got a selection of needle files when I’m crying out for help but usually a firm grasp with the pliers will get it moving.

Often if you use something on the end of the hex wrench like a cloth or thin plastic of the correct thickness you can get it to fit tight enough to undo the screw if it is not bound inside the standoff too tight.

Reactions: tevek
If you have a rotary tool, you could make those slots with a cutting wheel. Just do it slowly and don't overheat the screw. It might damage the frame if it gets too hot. Good luck with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Young_Kinslee23232