Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Help with odd behavior

spiderpig

Reaction score
So after a crash today (see video) the 180 quad ended up rear first in some mud. I lost video signal and after finding it was able to fly it line of sight ok. I got it home and wanted to give it a good cleaning. So I took the whole quad apart, unsoldered the motors and made sure to give the motors and all components a good cleaning with a paper towel.

Well after putting things back, I connected to Cleanflight and recalibrate the accelerator. Then I calibrated the ESC's again. I put props on and tried to do a hover test. As soon as it got airborne, it flipped over to the left completely and shattered the front right prop. So I took the quad apart, and did the same thing...made sure all connections where good. Checked motor rotation, calibrated everything....and tried to do a hover test again. So soon as it rises, flips to the left and breaks a prop.

So what else can I troubleshoot at this point? Is it a bad motor? Is it a FC issue? Is it a ESC issue?

I have 2205 motors on it and tried it with both 5045 props and tai-blade ones. Same results. ESC is a 4 in 1 30 A type. PDB is a possibly damaged from crash since video power doesn't work, but seems to send the ESC power fine.

Any help troubleshooting this? Bugs me when I can't figure out whats wrong with it.

To rule out a power delivery issue, you could secure the quad to the ground or a table, then use betaflight to run the motors one at a time to full throttle for a few seconds with props on. If that is fine, you probably have a bad gyro on the FC would be my guess.

Reactions: spiderpig
Also, since you took some stuff apart, be sure the ESC signal wires are going to the right motor locations, and that the FC orientation matches what is set on betaflight yaw orientation. Be sure motors are spinning the right way and that props are right. Sometimes it is the simple stuff during a rebuild.

To rule out a power delivery issue, you could secure the quad to the ground or a table, then use betaflight to run the motors one at a time to full throttle for a few seconds with props on. If that is fine, you probably have a bad gyro on the FC would be my guess.

So caulk this one up to repairing at a late hour and missing one step in troubleshooting. Thankfully a good nights rest fixed it. Turns out when I installed the FC again, I put the USB on the left side instead of the right side like it was before. My other quads all have it on the left side, and not sure why this one I did the other way. So went into cleanflight this morning and fixed the orientation and it works like a charm.

Lesson of the day....sleep is good.

Also, since you took some stuff apart, be sure the ESC signal wires are going to the right motor locations, and that the FC orientation matches what is set on betaflight yaw orientation. Be sure motors are spinning the right way and that props are right. Sometimes it is the simple stuff during a rebuild.

I have a system for when I take motor wires off. I have colored shrink wrap which I use to mark the wire location. I use red, white, and blue to mark them in the correct position. Makes it easy to resoldering them....and it's patriotic.

Reactions: theGreenOrange

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion