Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Hello from AZ - Help Choosing First FPV Racing Drone!

Found the wizard x220 for 99.99 at bangood a while back, got 3 of them and slammed xsr's bought on sale at 14.99 in them. They are sturdy (enough) cheap (enough) and good (enough) to do almost anything that can be done with one of these things. Now that I am burning 22 batts a day and keep coming home with a quad that flies I can see getting something better someday, but these things will always get flown and be my go-to quads for my daily beaters for quite a while.

Sorry guys been really busy but great thread, welcome cc and I hope it all goes well for you. You have just purchased your latest almost drug like addiction. Virtue as usual you are an amazing help to one of our new comers and continue to give the same help you were giving myself not too long ago. Randy 22 packs a day, hmmmm name says it all. Lol

So...I thought I would update the thread in case anyone cares to hear about my experience thus far lol.

I think I have watched probably close to 10-15 hours of YouTube videos on FPV electronics (no I am not kidding) - board wiring, Betaflight, you name it.

One thing I have realized...connectors are a PITA. Specifically JST-SH. I even bought the special crimp tool to make my own connectors...but working with 30 ga wire and tiny little crimp connectors is hell on earth. I've realized it is so much easier to have a board that you can just solder to. I got pretty fed up with this board and ordered an F4 board and ESCs (since I won't have a built in ESC anymore). It will be SO much easier to work on now. I realize the connectors provide convenience for someone totally new to the hobby as they can just plug everything in...but if anything breaks or you want to rewire it, it makes for a real pain.

Looking back...I really wish I would have built something myself and chosen a little larger frame as well. But oh well...it should make for a nice craft once I get the new board in.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Looking back...I really wish I would have built something myself and chosen a little larger frame as well. But oh well...it should make for a nice craft once I get the new board in.

I wouldn't worry too much, you will build one soon enough I am sure.

Reactions: CC268
So...I thought I would update the thread in case anyone cares to hear about my experience thus far lol.

I think I have watched probably close to 10-15 hours of YouTube videos on FPV electronics (no I am not kidding) - board wiring, Betaflight, you name it.

One thing I have realized...connectors are a PITA. Specifically JST-SH. I even bought the special crimp tool to make my own connectors...but working with 30 ga wire and tiny little crimp connectors is hell on earth. I've realized it is so much easier to have a board that you can just solder to. I got pretty fed up with this board and ordered an F4 board and ESCs (since I won't have a built in ESC anymore). It will be SO much easier to work on now. I realize the connectors provide convenience for someone totally new to the hobby as they can just plug everything in...but if anything breaks or you want to rewire it, it makes for a real pain.

Yes those tiny crimps are ridiculous. It is way easier to just cut the wires and splice them to the connector needed on the other side by soldering the wires from the two plugs together.

Yes those tiny crimps are ridiculous. It is way easier to just cut the wires and splice them to the connector needed on the other side by soldering the wires from the two plugs together.

Yea that is what I was going to do. Picoblades are "ok"...but these tiny JST-SH's are a nightmare. I think I'd rather walk on a bed of hot coals than deal with these things. Realistically the connector it just another point of failure. I noticed all the higher end components (whether it be FC, VTX, etc) are usually direct solder pads. I see why now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz