Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Gotta ask a question.......................

Danny Z

Reaction score
OK,
So i have a lot of years flying Helis, mostly 3D, and while there is a LOT more $$$$ flying up in the air with a 60 size nitro powered heli.......I am finding myself way more nervous when I put my Fatsharks on and start flying.

It takes me at least a pack or two to get the butterflies out, and even then, I'm still a little nervous, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we don't have a lot of $$$ invested in multi-rotors, I can only speak for myself, I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who gets butterflies when I fly ? (For the record, I am having an absolute fantastic time when I'm flying !!).

Part of me is thinking it may just be part of the learning curve of flying FPV, it is definitely something that I believe most people go through...........but then again maybe its just me..................thanks for letting me ramble..............

Danny Z

No even the best pilots shake when they fly. My hands shake sometimes my legs shake when I'm standing. You just learn to get use to it.

I was extremely nervous at first, and I very rarely get nervous generally. It definitely died down after about a dozen packs, and I don't get nervous at all with my micro FPV drone. Probably because I know it won't chop someone's head off if I make a bad move.

Reactions: Btek
Yes,
I'm the same way with my Tiny Whoop, no butterflies at all, I think your right Green.

Guess I gotta just think "Tiny Whoop" when I put the Alien up in the air !

Danny,

I'm the same way, I guess. It's hard to nail down just how much is nervousness and how much is excitement. We spend a lot of time "prepping" to fly (at least I do), checking and changing props, charging batteries (bird, radio, goggles, cameras, etc.), checking SD cards and getting everything set-up. When I'm finally ready to fly I have to slow down and take a quick breather.

Then comes the first take-off and the realization that one inadvertent thumb twitch can get you off to a rough start. About half way into the first pack I start to settle in.

I made a big mistake with my Phantom flying that isn't helping my race flying. I would always "back-in" when I'd bring the bird back to land. I started doing this to keep me out of the video as I landed, plus it was just easier. So I never got used to flying with the nose towards me. In addition, I was always looking at a monitor so I could "see" where I was going. I'm still struggling with this and it makes a huge difference with these racers. Because of this, FPV flying is actually easier for me than LOS is. I can "see" where I'm going instead of "thinking" about where I'm going and trying to translate that to my fingers.

After the first pack I'm fairly comfortable and I start trying to learn how to fly better. Actually, the whole process is a mixture of nervousness and excitement. But as you noted, I'm having a blast the entire time (except when I wreck)!

Jerry

Reactions: BigD451 and Btek
Jerry I share your feelings on FPV verses LOS flying. I am way more efficient in FPV, it comes more natural and lets face it, if I we are used to being behind the wheel of anything, we would be in FPV. Other folks I fly with are a little amazed that my 6 year old and I only want to fly FPV! And yes I have butterflies and shakes and a great time FPVing! We get to see the landscape like birds! I am new to this, 5-6 hours behind the goggles, we have many more hours to spend in flight, have a great one

Reactions: Jtrjr
Btek,

It's really cool that you're getting your Son involved! Many years from now it'll be an experience he'll always remember. Have fun and fly safe!

Jerry

And this whole time I thought it was just me. Wheeew

It's weird, because my friend got me into FPV flying and I have no issue flying his drone. But with my drone I don't push myself as much.

Ohhh, I see....you don't mind breaking his drone, but ur gonna take it easy on yours. LOL!!

Ohhh, I see....you don't mind breaking his drone, but ur gonna take it easy on yours. LOL!!

He builds them but can't fly them...so he lets me. I keep telling him to download the simulator I use to learn.

Simulator HELPS!! I currently cant use one because my computer is so old it cant handle the graphics....so I crash a lot

I want lift off or DRL simulator!! they are great. DRL is free

I want lift off or DRL simulator!! they are great. DRL is free

I love DRL...but have liftoff as well. Liftoff is nice in that you can actually build a drone on there, but the parts are limited and much fancier then what I got in my quad, so not a great match to my quad. in DRL I can tune the setting close to my quad.

Reactions: Serius
Funny I suck on a simulators. I have free ride, lift off, and DRL but, I have a hard time with all of them. I put the goggles on and power up one of my drones and magic! I tried flying LOS last night and broke two frames! Luckily Marty at MexAir r/c likes me and hooks me up!

Attachments

• IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Black with leds! 135mm X4RM, 1104/3800kw motors, 20a ESCs, piko blx fc, spektrum telemetry receiver, 3s 450mAh battery, 138 grams of FPV goodness!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member