Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

GoPro9 too heavy for FPV?

Dimfrop

Reaction score
Looking to get a GoPro for my 5" Freestyle quad after recently losing my hero 8 :)oops:).

The Hero 8 was already a fair few grams heavier than the 7 and due to the new larger battery, the hero 9 is heavier still.

Hero 9 - 158g
Hero 8 - 126g
Hero 7 - 116g

Is there a lot in this do you think? Is the Hero 9 too heavy?

It is a bit stout for a 5", but not un-doable, I think the increase in size and prop clearances is of concern too. I would run it all day on my 6" and 7" quads though.

I think with a TPU mount it should stay well clear of my props hopefully. Just when I flew with the GoPro 8 the difference in agility was pretty stark. I guess it still flew pretty well though

I can feel a big difference even with and without my Hero 5 Session, my 6 and 7 feel like bricks, but I always get used to it in a battery or 2.

Its pretty much like carrying another 1500mah lipo on its back. I run the Session 5 only 80g as I'm happy with just 1080p60FPS so its whether the 4k footage is worth the weight trade or not. I find working and editing 4k content hidious too so quite happy working with the smaller HD files :D

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
In my opinion, the 9 seems a bit heavy and will drain you batteries fasters and also put strain on your motors/ ESCs (that can be a fire risk - feel how hot your motors and ESCs are after a flight with one of the heavy ones and you'll get an idea).
People have been stripping down Hero 6's out there to lighten them up a bit. There's even 3D printed mounting kits for that. But you'd be risking damage in crashes, which with the original case would protect it better. I still love my Session 5's. Batteries last way longer and less strain on Motors/ ESC's. The footage is clear enough for me. And if you ever lose it, it's way less expensive than losing a 6/7 or 8. Plus. with a 9, files will be huge with that resolution. I don't think my PC will handle it, let alone my monitor be able to display that video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion