Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Good drone for FPV drone racing?

Gabe ma

Reaction score
hello everyone. I have been looking for a fpv racing drone that also get decent footage. I am not new to drones as I fly a DJI mavic 2 pro for videoography and photography and I have been flying many different drones for about 3 year. I am, however, somewhat new to drone racing. I don’t mind to spend the money so I have really been considering a Draco drone by UVIFY and if I want I can always upgrade camera to HD and other parts. I also like the way how you can easily replace an arm if it breaks etc.

do you have any suggestions for different drones? I am ready to buy the draco. But any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

thanks!

Welcome to the forum @Gabe ma!
A few things...
1. You will find that flying a DJI is not at all like flying a race/freestyle quad, one flies itself and you just tell it where to go, the other will crash immediately without proper input, but you will learn that once you start to fly.
2. That is a terrible quad, and no one here will recommend it.
3. There are a ton of much better quads out there, so I wouldn't waste all that money on that one.

I will let others chime in with their thoughts on the subject, and what they would recommend.

hello everyone. I have been looking for a fpv racing drone that also get decent footage. I am not new to drones as I fly a DJI mavic 2 pro for videoography and photography and I have been flying many different drones for about 3 year. I am, however, somewhat new to drone racing. I don’t mind to spend the money so I have really been considering a Draco drone by UVIFY and if I want I can always upgrade camera to HD and other parts. I also like the way how you can easily replace an arm if it breaks etc.

do you have any suggestions for different drones? I am ready to buy the draco. But any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

thanks!
I am still learning myself! I would start with a whoop drone, most of them are BNF and many can take a beating.
HIghtechpauper is right, I would learn on a cheap drone first, anyone can pick up a controller and fly a DJI(GPS) drone.
Too be honest I wish I never tried it out and just kept flying my EVO but now I am hooked. Good thing your interested in learning how to fly many people on social media do not care to learn freestyle yet they call themselves pilots.
Having software by DJI or Autel fly for you can get boring but I will admit is very nice in certain situations.
The price on that drone you mentioned seems high, you can get a whoop for 80 bucks.
But if you want to get started with a kit, Tinyhawk has one that comes with everything you need $165.00.
Good luck.

Ok thanks for the reply’s. I looked at some other drone do you think any drone like Walkera or eachine will be good? I was looking at the Eachine x220 models.

Here is the link to what I was taking about. If you want to get into this hobby, I recommend something like this. I have this drone, actually its my 3rd tinyhawk.

I work as a construction drone operator as my primary occupation and exclusively fly the latest DJI products. But when I saw someone flew an FPV quad, I was stunned. I am also new, and I’m already addicted. I started with an Emax Tinyhawk and now my fleet is somewhat growing.
IMG_2103.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
514CF96F-9490-4B3D-99CF-AE215A3729C6.pngGood morning. I have narrowed it down to either this pack which is all the gear in the photo above. Or the emax tiny hawk rtf package.

That is not a terrible option, but I would like to make another suggestion. The new Frsky TX is a bit of a tough sell for me, the new ACCESS protocol is not compatible with the rest of the world, and Frsky is trying to force peoples hand on this and I am not a fan at all of the strong arm technique. I would suggest getting these, and getting them separately if needed. there are 2 trains of thought on this
1. Go as cheap as possible, just in case you decide you don't like flying (highly doubtful this can happen, once you learn to stay in the air and do some flippy floppy stuff, you will be hooked.
2. Spend a little more and get things that can grow with you in the hobby so less money is wasted on junk.

Look for a Frsky QX7, or if you can swing it get the QX7S, it comes with a battery and charger plus Hall Effect Gimbals, well worth the extra cost and they both support the original ACCST protocol which is MUCH more compatible with everything available.

If you are hesitant to spend too much on your first goggles, get a pair of Eachine EV800D's, they are the best at that price point.

Get a TinyHawk S to start, then you can work your way up the food chain once you start to get the feel for it.

IMHO

Get a TinyHawk S to start, then you can work your way up the food chain once you start to get the feel for it.
This would be my suggestion as well. I've said it before: if I was training a prince and money was no object, I'd still start with an $80-90 tinyhawk. It's because the scale allows you to practice in a smaller area, which means you walk less to retrieve it when you crash (and you're gonna crash a lot) Between this and convenient charging batteries you're going to get more practice in less time.

After that, don't even bother with anything that's not 6s. You get the new Hawk sport in 6s (that's 1700kv) but start out flying it on a 4s battery what you'll have is a quad that handles like butter, and is MUCH easier to control than a 4s tuned quad running 2400kv motors. When you graduate to more power you just get a 5s or 6s battery and you've got a 100+ mph rocket.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
That is not a terrible option, but I would like to make another suggestion. The new Frsky TX is a bit of a tough sell for me, the new ACCESS protocol is not compatible with the rest of the world, and Frsky is trying to force peoples hand on this and I am not a fan at all of the strong arm technique. I would suggest getting these, and getting them separately if needed. there are 2 trains of thought on this
1. Go as cheap as possible, just in case you decide you don't like flying (highly doubtful this can happen, once you learn to stay in the air and do some flippy floppy stuff, you will be hooked.
2. Spend a little more and get things that can grow with you in the hobby so less money is wasted on junk.

Look for a Frsky QX7, or if you can swing it get the QX7S, it comes with a battery and charger plus Hall Effect Gimbals, well worth the extra cost and they both support the original ACCST protocol which is MUCH more compatible with everything available.

If you are hesitant to spend too much on your first goggles, get a pair of Eachine EV800D's, they are the best at that price point.

IMHO
Hi so what your saying is I should get a frsky qx7 or qx7s. I was planning to get fat shark goggles ( could you recommend one ). And also get a tinyhawk (just the quad and some extra batteries).

Hi so what your saying is I should get a frsky qx7 or qx7s. I was planning to get fat shark goggles ( could you recommend one ). And also get a tinyhawk (just the quad and some extra batteries).

IMHO
Or should I stick to an eachine ev800d

eachine ev800d
These are the goggles I started with, used them for 2 years with no regrets. If you want to upgrade, they make a great field monitor (they come apart and work as a screen)

TX Jumper T16
This is a cool option, but NONE of us have one, and I don't know how to set it up... The QX7s we know and can assist with. Kinda a bummer to base it on that, but it is at least a consideration.

These are the goggles I started with, used them for 2 years with no regrets. If you want to upgrade, they make a great field monitor (they come apart and work as a screen)

This is a cool option, but NONE of us have one, and I don't know how to set it up... The QX7s we know and can assist with. Kinda a bummer to base it on that, but it is at least a consideration.

True on the T16 vs Qx7. Hope to get mine next week and play with it. But the Qx7 has a long documented “how to” playlist on YouTube and support on here.

While I can appreciate @RPR thoughts on the TX subject, I will counter with this...
The Jumper T16 is a choice, but I would not get it for at least these 2 reasons
1. Frsky has done a good job of bullying the retailers into NOT carrying the Jumper, there is a lot of bad politics on this, and while I am on Jumpers side on the issue, it doesn't change the reality. In this hobby, there is nowhere to buy this TX except Alibaba and the like, I will deal with Race Day Quads and go with the OLD Frsky radios because they are the industry leader with 70+% of the market and the build quality is something I have experience with, and the Jumper is not giving anything but a cheap looking radio for $20 less than a QX7S.
2. In this hobby there is 2 leaders in control protocol, Frsky ACCST, and TBS Crossfire, everything else is relatively fringe by comparison so the "Multi Protocol" board that needs to be SEPARATELY PURCHASED (i.e. extra money) isn't that useful unless you already have Spektrum or "off brand" protocol quads in your squadron/fleet. I have about 30 quads, and I haven't once needed any other protocols than Frsky D and X series (90% of the BNF market) or Crossfire. If the Jumper was significantly cheaper I would consider it, but in a hobby where everyone seems to chase the hype, I will stick with the tried, true, and well saturated equipment (75% of what the world flies) in the TX area. The original Frsky models. I have an QX7S, a X9D+ and an original X-Lite, I wouldn't trade them for anything new from Frsky or Jumper at this point if I were starting this hobby today.

Again, IMHO

On goggles...
I have had Fatshark HD2's, HD3's, and HDO's and the original Aomway Commanders.

The HD3's I sold to one FPV buddy not on DRP Forum so I can't tag him, the HD2's are now with @Futuramille, and I am keeping the HDO's as my new backups.
The original (and still best model of Aomway's) the Commanders, @rtkDarling is rocking those now.
I am awaiting my new Orqa FPV.One that will be my new daily flyer.

I think you have a number of great choices at this time, so many new things have hit the market, and turned this part especially, on its ear.

DJI came out with something groundbreaking, it is proprietary, and has some big issues, so I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money for it Nonetheless it is helping to cause prices to tumble on new and used alike. Good deals are out there to be had.

Fatshark has released ByteFrost, and others will follow now. This is another thing helping to usher in new top of the line, making TODAYS top of the line ever cheaper... GREAT DEAL!

The Orqa FPV.One is dropping to original backers on Kickstarter, and for sale on pre-order at GetFPV and other retailers around the world. Its specs should make it the best "open source" option that is a current reality, and that is the third leg causing a tumble in what you can get for your money today.

While the Skyzone 03O (OLED version) is a hair nicer picture than the HDO's, they don't save you much (HDO's are down to $449), and they don't have Fatsharks LEGENDARY customer service and (often free) repair services.

When it comes to your goggles, I would suggest you get the very best you can possibly afford with an eye towards versatility in the hobby. If you want to get the hot new video RX, or run something with 2.4G video, you can't do that with the Skyzone models. Until the Orqa's actually land, Fatshark is STILL the best, industry leaders by far (75+% of the world market), and legendary versatility and customer service/repair. Even after the Orqa's land, at $650, I think Fatshark will still be the leader for the foreseeable future.

IMHO
Randy (HTP)

Ok thanks for the reply’s. I looked at some other drone do you think any drone like Walkera or eachine will be good? I was looking at the Eachine x220 models.
As noted throughout this post, the best advice is start with the smaller less intimidating gear and expand from there once you get a feel for it and you’re pretty much committed. I started out with the wizard x220 and the experience was pretty much underwhelming. I must have rebuilt them 20-30 times due to the high failure rate of motors and esc’s.
Nowadays I fly the smaller quads given the area where I live/fly and they are an absolute hoot. The QX7S controller with the older fatshark v3 goggles enable me to quickly gear up with any of the quads that I inevitably get a hold of. Just received a turbobee 120rs that I’ll be taking for a thrash this morning through the trees and see how that goes. 8F087CBE-57D8-4AB1-8E41-B99063431C20.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax